where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cross stitch

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

cross stitch

Just wondering if anyone here does cross stitch??? I started within the last year doing it, but have been able to get into it a little more since I'm at home all the time now...

I always feel really old saying that I love to do it (and that I do it at all) but I really do like it a lot! It helps a lot to relax me too, so after a bad day all I want to do it sit and stitch for a few mins to get my mind off it!

Boogie loves my cross stitch too, but for different reasons of course! He just likes all the string and trying to pick it off the canvas thing.... But I dont' let him (which makes him want it more) cause I'm positive its' not safe (dyes and all). And I need my string anyhow! And a canvas without holes is always nice too .........

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else does it here.... And for those that don't, you should give it a try! (you can get little starter ones for real cheap)

I've got 2 on the go right now, one is a puppy taking a nap on a blanket and it says "never underestimate the power of a nap". And the other one is a chinese scroll type of thing, with a butterfly in the middle of it, and chinese writing all over... I will probably post a pic when I get it finished! It's taking forever! (been working at it for almost 3 mnths now) It's going to be really nice, and one that I will frame when I'm done it. Altho I'm not going to do that with all the ones that I do....
    From the crazy mind of Candace....

RIP Boogie Jan 8/04 ~ Sept 3/06~~~~~~~RIP Eater

You guys will never be forgotten, see you at Rainbow bridge.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Re: cross stitch

I do but not as much as I used to. Hard on the eyes now. Used to have one in the car to do while waiting to pick up the kids, waiting during swim, skating, dance, and all those other lessons. You would be surprised how much you can get done while waiting for your kids, LOL.
    Jane

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

I love to cross stitch! I also crochet (my DP always says I look like a grandma, but what the heck!) I love it.

Yes, it is very relaxing. The crochet I do is mostly different patterns doggy blankets for our local SPCA shelter. They always need these things. And I have lots of yarn that people donated, so it doesn't cost me a thing.

I'm busy with a wall clock in cross stitch, too -- and it DOES take forever. But it's very satisfying.

There's a great site (cannot think of it now), but I've printed out pages and pages of x/s patterns one can order, and they are just the best quality patterns ever! I'll have a look at home and post the link tomorro - if I remember....
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I used to, like when i was 6... Nothing very special. I really get bored doing things like that. Like, I can knit pretty well, I'll get into a "knitting phase" where I'm always knitting, then poof! I can't stand it.

- Fledgeling
    Thanks

Candace, Kim - Parrot Wildly, does BEAUTIFUL work. She is currently doing a large depiction of Bill. She is awsome!

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

that's cool that other ppl do it here! Estie, you will definetely have to post that site for me. It would be cheaper to do it that way... I just buy the packages right now that have all the thread and everythign you need already...

I agree Jane that it IS satisfying... I don't know why... I'm getting a lot closer to being done both my projects, and now all I wanna do is stitch so I can finish them and look at me work!

Ricky is really good about it all too... He's the one that bought my packages in the first place (just came home with the puppy one the one day as a surprise) and I always show him what I got done lately, and he's always like "it's looking really good! You should be done it soon huh?". He always seems interested, which is nice... Even if he isn't, it's nice to me that he takes the time to at least pretend cause he knows it's a new passion of mine (hopefully to stay I should think!). But I really think he is interested, just because I'm into it.... I think that's what someone shoudl do tho when they love you right? I mean, he's TOTALLY into football... And I'm into it to (not to his degree of course) only because he's into it, so it makes me interested in it....

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Dude, I know moonieromance is reeeally good with cross stitching... Hopefully she'll drop in! She even got me into it for awhile, and I admit it was quite fun -- although I wasn't particularly good. And as an illustrator, I suppose I expect images to "happen" faster than they do with cross-stitching. Aww, darn Pho and her lack of patience!

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

yes, you definetely need some patience with it hey? I know when I first started Ricky would be like thinking it was going to be a week project working here and there on it, so I think he was ready to buy more for me all the time, but when he realized how long it takes, he didn't buy me anymore (at least not yet!)

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

I love to cross stitch! It's my big crafting hobby. I really like to do embroidery with silk ribbon and make garden scenes and such.

And funny you should post that today because I went to the Asian Festival and bought two beautiful pieces of embroidery (not cross stitch but needlework nonetheless)...one is of fishermen fishing in vietnam (the way the colors are done are amazing) and the other is of....cockatiels!! I thought that was the most random thing, since a guy in Vietnam makes all of these, and they also had a rosella. I thought the rosella was done prettier, but I had to remain true to Sophie so we bought the 'tiels. I took pictures of them to put on the board but haven't uploaded yet. I'll post here instead of starting my own thread when I do though!!

-Nikki
    Last edited by NeapolitanSixth; 07-22-2006 at 10:25 PM.
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

OK, here's the site (I printed loads of coloured pages of all their smaples when I was still at my previous work -- naughty... but I just couldn't help myself! )

www.heritagestitchcraft.co.uk

Had a look there earlier and BOY! they have gorgeous new samples. Wheeeeew!!!
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

I've been doing cross stitch for years and just love it. I won 1st Prize in a local show for one of my pictures. I don't have so much time to do them now that I have the birds, but you can see some of the ones I have done on here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lyn.andrews/cross.htm
    Peaches Green Cheek Conure
    Mango Lutino Cockatiel, flew away September 13 2006

1 eyed budgie - tomorrow! Brand New Egg Billy and Lily's Avatar
    Name
    Amy
    Thanks

I love it! I am currantly working on a springer spaniel!
    Love Amy, 13 budgies and 5 eggs!!

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

Oooo! I'm so happy that so many ppl do it here! It's great!

Nikki, you definetely have to post some pics! I'll be waiting to see! When I finish my 2 projects I'm definetely going to post some pics to show them off, the butterfly one I'm really proud of (even tho I already messed up on it, but it's not obvious at all)

Lyn, you have done a few hey? And they are all really nice!

Estie, thanks for the link! I don't have time just this minute to look, but I will definetely come back and take a peek around there!

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

I used to do it alot before I had 3 kids and 2 birds and 1 dog....lol! Now I have NO TIME but I wish I did! I also did a needlecraft called "hardanger" which I really enjoyed....it turns out so beautiful!

I found this design I liked from the site that was posted....so cute!

http://www.heritagestitchcraft.co.uk/pages/vpcl703.html
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Hehehe, the few times I cross-stitched, I had major problems with *certain* beaked creatures eyeing my needle and threads as if they were the coolest bird toy ever. Has anyone else had problems with "avian interference" when they cross-stitch? I have to imagine so; I can't think of a single activity in my life where they HAVEN'T interfered!