Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Emergency help needed ASAP *pics added*

It's almost 11pm here and my husband and I were in awe watching our first baby hatch out. BUT...

I noticed as it was making it's final push out, it had not yet fully absorbed the yolk sac. I quickly intervened and tucked the little guy back into his shell (before he made it all the way out) and have him held in there with a thin piece of tissue.

He continues to peep every now and then with contractions, trying to draw the yolk in. What can I do for him? Should I just keep him as is and see how it goes? He has less than half to draw in but it's really hard to tell if he is actually drawing it in or not. How long will this take? Please help...
    Last edited by furbaby; 07-28-2006 at 04:19 AM.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Re: Emergency help needed ASAP

I take it you have no vet to call? I am not into breeding but I would say let nature take it course. Sometimes you can do more harm than good. I wish you luck.
    Jane

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I know nothing about breeding, so I can't help I fear. Hopefully Oh Mowsie or someone with experience wil see the thread ASAP.

Hang in there. I hope all goes well!
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Thanks

We live in a very small town and there is no vet we can call to get assistance tonight. I'm praying for the best.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I found this information. Perhaps you can modify the technique. Seems that it needs humidity and warmth:

The #1 reason you lose eggs that were opened prematurely is them drying out. You can help to prevent that by setting them up as follows:

Wet a paper towel in clean water and squeeze it out so that it is damp but not dripping. Place inside a plastic ziploc bag, in one corner. In the other corner put the egg, and place an ordinary drinking straw in the bag so that one end is near the egg and the other end is sticking out. Now zip the bag so that it is closed, except for the straw, and place the entire bag into the brooder at a temperature of 98 - 99 degrees. The straw allows the egg to get air; the damp paper towel inside the bag provides very high humidity which the chick needs until it is ready to leave the egg. (The inside of the bag will quickly fog up.)

Remove the egg and check it 2 - 3 x daily, and replace the paper towel daily to prevent mold/ mildew. When the yolk sac is completely absorbed, the chick is ready to emerge from the egg; however it will usually come out on its own if it's kept humid enough that the membrane doesn't dry out and cause it to get stuck. If all goes well, you'll go to check on the egg and find the chick "out" - you may then be able to foster it under other cockatiels (assuming its own parents don't have any eggs left and won't accept it) or start feeding it about 12 - 18 hours after it "hatches." (It needs that time to finish absorbing the yolk sac; feeding it kickstarts the digestive system and if you do that too soon it won't finish reabsorbing the yolk and the result can be peritonitis, which then kills the chick 2 - 5 days later.)
    http://www.avianweb.com/birdnursery.html

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

I found this from my "Parrot Incubation Procedures" book by Rick Jordan (p93):

CAUTION: UNABSORBED YOLK SAC
    Chicks that emerge from the egg with a large yok sac extending from the naval need medical attention immediately. Surgical removal of the extended yolk sac is tedious work and needs to be accomplished by a vet who has this experience. In some cases, the intestines are also extended and will need to be tucked inside of the chick's body. The procedure usually involves gently tucking the extended parts into the naval with a Q-tip dipped in mineral oil. Next, the naval is sutured shut using a cross hatch or X pattern.
    If a protruding yolk sac is small (pea sized or smaller), treatment with Betadine solution (1%) and time in the hatcher or brooder will usually cure the problem. Keep the chick warm and pad the naval region to avoid any trauma to the extended area. Often the naval will close tight and pinch off the extended sac. Treat the area often with the Betadine solution and do not attempt to pull the sac off. After about three days, the sac will dry up and fall off much like the umbilicus on a human baby. By no means should you pull or cut at this sac; it could cause the chick to bleed to death.
    During an assisted hatch, if an unabsorbed yolk sac is present and the chick has already defecated in the egg, the chick may have some type of physical problem. Chicks gerenally do not defecate until the yolk sac has been absorbed.
    After hatching, some chick maintain a large yolk sac in the abdominal region. If this sac remains large and conspicuous for several days, the chick may have a yolk sac infection and needs to see a vet.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Jo
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies. Lovebirdfan, I read that last night too and that is what I did. Woke up this morning to a peeping chick who had absorbed most of it's yolk sac (if not all). It's so small it's hard to tell. But according to the information in odge's post, it looks as if he might have, due to the fact that he pooped in his shell last night. He's just now pushed his way out. Here are a couple pics (right before he pushed out) and right after. Maybe you guys can let me know if you think his yolk sac has been absorbed and if it's safe for me to put him back in with mom and dad, or if you think there still might be a little left to absorb. So hard to tell!

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Re: Emergency help needed ASAP *pics added*

I've checked the book and there isn't a picture of a chick with an unabsorbed yolk sac, but I don't like the look of it. I'd leave it in the brooder and apply the betadine solution - especially if the yolk bit is raised. Keep it warm and don't forget that it will need food from you in a while. (I think it's about 8-12 hrs after hatching but can't find that reference to be certain).

I did find another piece in the book about unabsorbed yolk sac: (BTW - they are talking about eggs which have been incubated artificially)

"The tendency to pull a chick out of the egg before it is ready should be avoided. Once the egg has been opened, the chick's head can often be gently lifted to provide a view of the naval area to check for an unabsorbed yolk sac. If an unabsorbed yolk sac is present, do not continue the assistance but place the egg back in the hatcher and check on it later. "

Good luck

Jo
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Furbaby, its very hard to tell but none of my babies had any of that yellow attached to the navel area such as that little guy does. I'm REALLY hoping that is not yolk sac, intestinal material or an umbilical hernia. What ever it is, it should not be there... If there is ANY way to get to a vet, I highly suggest you check into it with this guy.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Thanks

I've updated in the "As the egg turns thread"