Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chris
    Thanks

I have a seriously sick lovebird.

We have had our Peach Faced lovebird for about two years. She has always been energetic, and had a way of chewing up any papers left around for nesting. Over the course of the summer, she laid six eggs (but no more than two at once), but as there was no mate, none of them hatched. She then stopped laying eggs, and has since become lethargic. For the past month, she has been becoming slower and slower. For about three days she has seemed quite cold, and has been standing next to the coffee pot for warmth. Today she did not have the strength to stand on the perch, and is falling asleep extremely quickly. Our previous bird was a white parakeet, which had similar symptoms and died overnight on the bottom of her cage at age one. We took our parakeet to the vet, but they did not have a solution. Please tell me what I can do to help my lovebird, I fear that I may lose her soon.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Re: I have a seriously sick lovebird.

Your bird HAS to see an avian vet. Now.

What kind of diet is she on? It's possible she has a calcium dificiency from laying all the eggs.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Ditto! She needs to see a vet. She could be egg bound or have an infection. Please don't hesitate to take her in to an avian vet!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chris
    Thanks

We're pretty sure it's not a calcium deficiency, as she was fine after laying the eggs, and was chewing on her cuddlebone. Our previous bird went to the vet, but they did not see anything unusual while she was there, and gave her antibiotics. I am a minor, and my parents don't think we should bring her to the vet as our previous bird did not survive, possibly because of the treatment. We just got off the phone with my mother now, and she still disagrees on going to the vet. I would like to know of any possible alternatives, as it seems the vet is out of the question.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

That is so cruel of your parents. It's not fair to deny a bird seeing a vet, just because the other bird died. Go to a better vet.

Also, a cuttle bone doesn't actually give calcium that a bird can absorb. What else does she get to eat?

Name
    Matt
    Thanks

NO! Bring your bird to the Vet ASAP it may not be the same thing as the bugie and just do not let your vet give the bird anything unless he/she is sure of what it is, Also she could be egg bound (meaning she is trying to lay an egg but can't because it is stuck) and if it cracks inside her she will die for sure

I also have: A springer spanial, 2 untame Buggies, 2 fish tanks, and 2 guinea pigs

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chris
    Thanks

She has a diet of mixed seeds. We try to feed her other foods, such as fruits, but she never eats them, except for blueberries. The only other drink she will drink is milk, which we try to keep her out of, as I have heard that birds cannot process lactose.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You need to keep your lovie warm, sick birds have a hard time keeping warm. Dont give her milk becuase you are right they cannot digest it right and it is bad for them. If possible put her in a small cage with a heating pad on half of the bottom so she can go there and stay warm. Really a old fish tank or a clear carrier is best but make sure she can step away from the heat source if she overheats. The best thing you can do for her is convince your parents to take her the avian vet becuase this could be something that wont get better without medicine to give her. If she was laying eggs before and not getting anything but seeds then she could need calcium badly, they should really eat pellets for vitamins needed, especially when they are laying eggs. Also she could have a egg in there that is not coming out, this could be fatal and she needs a doctor. Since you are young it is not your choice to not take her to the doctors, it is your parents and hopefully they will take her to see one, the sooner the better. People here hate to hear what you said about not taking her to the vets, hopefully they will be nice to you, they just care about the birds here and your bird does need a vets help soon or I am sorry you may lose her like you did your budgie. It was not the vet or the medicine that killed your budgie, it was something else, the vets can help. My thoughts and prayers are with your little lovie and you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Along with what boomer girl said about it not necessarily being the vet's fault that your budgie died - people die, and yet we do not stop going to doctors! Sometimes a bird or a person can be saved, sometimes they can't. Unfortunately, that's life - and death. BUT seeing a vet would give your lovie a CHANCE to survive. Or if not, at least some comfort from pain in her last days. Maybe it would help if your mother considered that point of view?

Good luck, and keep her warm how boomer girl described while you're sorting this out with your mother.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chris
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: I have a seriously sick lovebird.

Well, we gave her a source of heat (a lamp facing the opposite direction), but she stayed leaned up against her cardboard box. We did schedule an appointment for the vet, but she just recently died. The worst part is that we have no idea what happened, just like our previous bird. After she passed, we did not see a bulge as if it was egg binding. Thank you all anyway for your help, it's always nice to know that you can get aid if you need it.

(moderators, you can delete this thread)

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

You can have a necropsy done to find out why.

I'm sorry she died, but if you had gotten vet care when she first started to show signs(a month ago) this probably could have been avoided.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Chris I am sorry to hear about your lovebird dying, how sad the poor girl :-( Hopefully the good memories you have for her will help you make it through what must be a sad day for you. Big HUG to you!!!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

This is a problem with birds, they do not show signs of being sick until they are really sick. Weight is a good way of telling if your bird is ill, you should weigh them at least once a week and keep a record. If you notice a drop in weight, they you should do it everyday. Poop is another way to keep an eye on a birds health.

I agree with taking your bird to the vet ASAP. Your last bird was more than likely very ill by the time you took it to the vet and this may be why it did not make it.

Has this bird every been to a vet? Are you using a avairy vet? I wish you and your bird the best of luck.
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Name
    D'Artagnan
    Thanks

sorry bout ur lovebird mate