where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: lump behind wing

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KT
    Thanks

lump behind wing

Freebie has some sort of distension or lump behind her right wing by her tail. She's going in to see a vet tonight (the earliest appointment I could get - and emergency care told me they rarely treat birds so that was out too). I don't think its egg binding, since that would be in the vent area, and this is on top of her. Has this ever happened to anyone? Can anyone tell me what to expect from the vet if it has? I'm so worried. I've never seen anything like this before.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Re: lump behind wing

Glad to hear you are taking to the vet. Wish I could help you but sure the vet will. Let us know how it goes.
    Jane

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

it might be a cyst...or maybe impaction (?) i know when bearded dragons get impacted really badly they get lumps on they're back but then again they have a different interanal structure then birds so it may not be that at all. is she pooping? are they're any other symptoms?

let us know how she does ok? i'm sure she's fine, at least your doing the right thing by taking her to the vet so don't worry too too much

hope everythings ok

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KT
    Thanks

Apparently she has a fungal infection that caused a ruptured air sac. So now she's taking medicine through her water to get rid of it. The vet told us to crush a pill and mix it with vinegar and then with water to use as her drinking supply for a week. If she gets the lump again, we can suck out the air with a sterile needle which my other half has a ton of, since he's diabetic. I think she's going to be ok. I guess fungal infections are tough to get rid of, but I think we can fight it. She seems to be eating, drinking, and pooping ok. I just hope she continues to drink her water!
    Last edited by ktexp2; 08-25-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: highlighting diagnosis

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

I hate when they say to give meds in water. You have no control over how much meds get into them. Did this vet tell you that you could take a sterile needle and draw the air out? I think it may be time to find another vet. What kind of vet is this?
    Jane

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Ditto what Jane said. I'd be worried about water medication too. If this lump does not improve, I'd be looking for another veterinarian who treats with oral antibiotics.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

i agree with jane and mowsie, you have no idea how much your tiel is drinking and alot of times birds that don't feel well don't drink alot anyways...plus it's kinda weird she told you to take the air out yourself if it comes back/doesn't go away. I don't think it's a very good idea poking her with needles if you don't know EXACTLY how to do it, i mean most vets only use needles on birds when they need to take alot of blood, usually they just take it from the quick in the toenail.
    anyways i hope she gets better quickly

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KT
    Thanks

The vet came highly recommended, otherwise I'd feel weird about it too. I am going to call her tomorrow about the water thing though. She's drinking the same amount as usual, but it's still unnerves me that she might not be getting enough.

The vet sucked out the air with a needle at her office and she said that if it came back, the air would need to be sucked out again. She said that we could even do it, if we had sterile needles. Craig said that he had a ton of them, since he's diabetic. Then she said since he had experience using needles, then it would be ok.

How do you treat with oral antibiodics anyway? I've fed pills to cats and dogs, goats and horses, but I can't imagine how to do it to a little bird! Is it liquid or something?

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

It's usually just liquid that you give with a syringe. That way you can know for sure how much they are getting.

Like everyone else, I don't like giving medication in water. Along with what has been said, it's also a breeding ground for bacteria.

Hatching
    Name
    Michel
    Thanks

This vet sounds like the vet that I had, and he is touted to be the best exotic vet in the Twin Cities. He was a joke, told me all kinds of things that could have done some serious harm to my birds if I hadn't have known better from the posts here. I would seriously consider finding another vet, no good vet I know of would tell you to go ahead and poke your bird with anything. Sterile or otherwise. I'd call around to other Avianvets, and just ask their opinion, see what they say. Good luck
    Last edited by MamaMichelsBabies; 08-25-2006 at 01:42 AM. Reason: my spacebar is on the fritx

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society
    I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal.
    And I was Angry.
    "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"
    God was silent for a moment and the He spoke softly.
    "I have done something," He replied.
    "I created You."

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

He could be a great vet for dog and cats. Is he a avian vet, bird vet?
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Name
    KT
    Thanks

She is an avain vet, and was supposedly "extremely good". Unfortunatly, I am not the principal caretaker of the bird, so I'm going to have to go along with the diagnosis and treatment for now. She "belongs" to my boyfriend, although I care for her also, and despite all your advice, he wants to listen to what she says, and there isn't a whole lot I can do about it, expecially because he earns the money. I'm also leary of taking her to any other avain vet in my area, if they all think this one is so good. I literally called every vet in the phonebook that had anything to do with birds on Wednesday and no one could help me. A few even said they didn't really treat birds except to trim their nails! We finally called a local bird adoption agency who reffered her to us.

The reason we needed a new vet, btw, is because her old one is in New Jersey.

I thank you all for your concern and advice, and I shall post with updates as they become available. I will keep trying to get a second opinion as well.
    Last edited by ktexp2; 08-25-2006 at 05:07 PM. Reason: sp

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

I wish you the best but still would not put a needle into a bird. If you have to do that, take her back if you can. What works for one may not work for another.
    Jane