Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lonely?

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Lonely?

I feel a bit strange asking this, as I'm sure I know the answer.

I have a tiel that came into my care, Charlie. He's about 2-3 years old and has always been a lone tiel. Hand-raised, I'm told. He's gotten over a lot of his shyness, and is comfortable with both the hubby and I.

He whistles back and forth with us, imitates (as in tries to) many of the sounds and whistles we'll make, and all around SEEMS like a fairly happy bird...

...unless I play vids of other tiels singing. He all but ignores the lovies when he hears them, could care less at the outside bird sounds, or any other parrots. But when he hears other tiels, he goes BANANAS! Flies around (he's completely clipped, but flies and lands without his flight feathers like a pro) looking up and down, under cushions, couches, tables, behind the tv calling out. Then when the sound stops, he stops and cocks his head listening. If I start it up again he starts again.

Is this normal behaviour? Or is he lonely? I had plans on getting him a (male) companion in the futur, when he has a larger cage (I find 24x24x32 small for a single tiel, nevermind two, even if he does get out for hours a day). I do wonder if he had a companion, would he be likely to respond the same way when he hears strange tiels? He doesn't make any aggressive displays - just the searching and 'flock calls'.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Abby
    Thanks

Re: Lonely?

His behaviour is the same as my cockatiels' when they hear clips of other birds. All 6 of them go absolutely potty, squawking and flapping their wings about, looking and listening to see if the mystery bird will call again.
    I would imagine that the reaction would be the same if you were to get another 'tiel, only louder

Name
    Brooke
    Thanks

It could be that he is looking for the other bird to drive it out of it's territory. Horus battles with his own reflection quite often, and when i imitate his calls he does the "this is my land" pose, and then squawks and struts around his cage pecking and biting his mirror. It's quite humorous

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Dave
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muse View Post
    SEEMS like a fairly happy bird...

...unless I play vids of other tiels singing. He all but ignores the lovies when he hears them, could care less at the outside bird sounds, or any other parrots. But when he hears other tiels, he goes BANANAS!
    Look for posts with videos or audio of Ebo and you'll see it's a very common reaction. Ebo seems to just bring the inner good out in alot of other people's tiels. Shadow doesn't seem to care. She'll perk up on the first playing, then ignore any others.

Is this normal behaviour? Or is he lonely? I had plans on getting him a (male) companion in the futur, when he has a larger cage (I find 24x24x32 small for a single tiel, nevermind two, even if he does get out for hours a day). I do wonder if he had a companion, would he be likely to respond the same way when he hears strange tiels? He doesn't make any aggressive displays - just the searching and 'flock calls'.
    There's the problem though, you don't know how he'll react should you introduce an "intruder". Sure he may be calling and looking now. That "flock call" might be subtly different to our ears, and may instead be a challenge/territory call instead. The search could be his efforts to find the intruder. But on the other hand he could be saying "come here" too.

You may wish to give this a read as well.

Remove Ads