Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: sexing budgies: ring test

Hormonal
    Thanks

sexing budgies: ring test

im sure u have all heard of this and some of u may follow this method of determining sex of birds and in fact all living things ( when in doubt lol)
    anyway, today i acquired my first pair of english budgies and the lovely gentleman breeder who is well regarded in the field promptly chose a female and male for me ( not that im into breeding but because i wanted to see the difference btw a male and female)
    he took his cork pierced with a needle and held it over each bird's head, steadied it and then watched the needle 'do its thing'
    if it swung to and fro it was a cockbird and if the needle started to circle, it was a hen
    he assured me it worked 100 % of the time because, of course, later he would breed from most of the birds, anyway ( which of course doesnt make him 100% of the time correct, does it lol)

anyway, i tried it at home with my male tiels...they are cinnamon pied reversed and hard to sex visually but, seeing as i purchased them from the secretary of the parrot society, i think she'd be very experienced ( she told me she knew it from their loud and frequent vocalisation)...well the needle was right on targe

then i performed it on my recent acquisitions: the blue recessive pied , my cinnamon greygreen spangle, the the yellow-faced sky blue and the dominant pied yellowfaced blue and white

seems like all the budgies are hens except for the little yellow-green greywing English budgie

luckily we have given them all unisex names ( except for one who can be 'ladyfied' lol)

so we will see with time...if the ceres can tell their stories, if the bobbing or regurgitating starts..
    certainly ...the bites of the english hen and my rescued handreared blue pied are very painful which indicates a female the breeder said but the other hens dont bite hard at all

this is a real mystery for lay people isnt it...but it's fascinating,isnt it?

id be so eager to hear from anyone who has tried the needle method...i used a piece of silver jewellery ( a necklace ) and tried it out on my three kids and a visitor and myself...yep we are all true to our gender lol
    something to do with the magnetic field, the breeder told me
    please have a go and let me hear what u think!

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: sexing budgies: ring test

oh ,,just so u know...we did it over a cushion and the necklace did nothing...so it was a properly conducted scientific experiment...
    hahaha ...

Banned Five Eggs Laid!
    Name
    Nathan
    Thanks

I heard of this before...

So all i do is get a ring of somekind, put it on a chain necklace, hold the bird, and hang the necklace over the head of the bird?

Intersting... ill go try it even though i know the sex of my birds...

Kirby

Hormonal
    Thanks

kirby ..let me know how u went
    see ...all my birds are young...
    the only ones im kinda certain of are the two male tiels ,,cos of what the breeder said...but
    id really like to know what is in this thing
    everything i ve read on the net says its wives tales but recently on an aussie program they said there was something in it when they did tests on pregnant ladies
    so yeah ..anything metal on a chain ...'ive done it on lots of people...and yep..it comes up the way it should
    i have to just wait til my birds are older and at least some of them might have ceres that will reveal the truth ..trouble is i have pieds and the more exotic types so it might be difficult to visually sex even if i do wait til theyre older
    anyway..ill be waiting to hear from u !

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Sounds interesting lol I should give it a try and see what happens.. Would be fun if it works like a charm? Soa curuios question? How would it work on a unix or tranvestite? lmfao! Yes I'm hyper.. ol XP

---

100% Bird-A-Holic Moulting Belinda's Avatar
    Name
    Belinda
    Thanks

I got a necklace with a thing on the end and tested this on Cookie and one time it swung to and fro and the next time it went around in circles. Haven't tried on the budgies yet cause i think Blinkie would freak if i dangled something above his head.

Visit Busy Beaks Blog to read about our day-to-day lives and adventures!

Hormonal
    Thanks

ok update

i went to a breeder who is a well known judge of budgies and she sexed all of my flock at a glance
    now mind theyre all young and havent had the cere change colour
    but she was adamant that one of my hens ( that had had the ring test and it went round and round) was actually a cockbird because the cere was a uniformly purple and had none of the telltale whitening round the inside of the nostrils
    yes im a cynic..so ill wait to confirm all this when the yellow green cinnamon spangle 'hen' develops her blue cere which will stamp her a boy forever
    her brother lol...is coming home today ( he had to go back tothe breeder because he wasnt eating..but its good news..hes up and running again after some crop feeding and supervision)..will be interesting to see what he turns out to be
    funnily this yellow green spangle girl who is supposed to be a boy bites like a demonstapler gun... lol...typically a femal trait...whereas her brother...was more docile...
    cant wait to resolve it all!

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

oh my goodness
    this is used to determan the sex of your un born ( human ) baby
    I have never heard of it for sexing any other animal I don't thinks it works anyway
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Hormonal
    Thanks

i dont know..im a natural cynic but i usually stay open ...
    its funny that the chain doesnt move over inanimate objects
    im not about to write a thesis but i will check my birds again as they develop their ceres
    all the kids love it..get a real kick out of checking whos who lol

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I tested it on my whole family and it said the right gender and when i did it on my 2 budgies they are what i was guessing they would be coz from the pet shop i got the so called " brohters" but its actualy a male and female coz they found true love today - realy cute

Hormonal
    Thanks

Lisa ..remember that what looks like true love may not be so and ur budgies are young ( hopefully)
    they groom each other and do the sweet beak to beak thing but as u know the girls do that to their little girl friends and the boys do it to their mates
    the chain test is not conclusive..that is..it SEEMS to work but then i have two birds that are inconclusive..time will tell when the cere changes colour

Thanks

I find that its in your subconsciousness where you move the chain the way you think it should be. I read these posts and got my little brother who knows nothing about this theory, held a chain above all my family members, frinends and my brothers girlfriends heads and the birds. The chain didn't move. Of course when you try it because you know about the moving thing you THINK your bird is a girl... and oh WOW IT MOVED! I just dont believe any of it. I even got my mom to try it before I told everyone about the theory... the chain never moved... Unless my entire family some friends my brothers girlfriend AND our birds are gender challenged then I am sure its just the person moving the chain. Maybe not on purpose... but when I did the chain thing it worked... My moms a girl the rest of my family are boys... So yeah.

All Hail Hypnotoad Teenager ZoologyGirl's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

I'd have to essentially agree with Lyssa on this.
    In the case of testing it on people that you already know are boys or girls your subconcious is going to move the chain the way it should according to boy or girl...this will not be a concious act and you will not know you are doing it, but rather a subconcious act.
    It might be different when you are doing it for say, budgies, but again there's always the possible error of the human subconcious determining what it thinks the answer should be.
    Give the ring to someone who has no idea about the whole spinning/swaying stuff and see what happens. Probably nothing, possible movement due to the fact that as humans we aren't very good at being perfectly still...whether this movement can be attributed to determining sex is up to the observer and if they want to believe it.
    So like all unscientific phenomena, it may or may not have some possible truth to it, but I'd take everything with a grain of salt. The human mind is a tricky and powerful thing.

~Heather~
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." - Juan Ramón Jiménez

Hormonal
    Thanks

lol..if its my subconscience im gonna start my own tv show
    hey u aussies remember good ole don lane and how he got so mad at the spoon bender and chucked a spazz on the show
    ask ur mums and dads...that episode was a classic!
    i have many willing aspiring scientists...we will begin working on our thesis soon..err any week now lol

Remove Ads