where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: biting tip

RIP Daddy...<3 Egg's Cracking... Monika1013's Avatar
    Name
    Monika
    Thanks

biting tip

I didn't know where else to put this...so here it goes...
    I took Nikki to the petstore i bought him to get his wings and nails clipped (they do it free...hooray) with my cousin's bird "pollo" (temperary name) and since Pollo is so mad all the time and bites everyone she gave us a tip. Listerine. Yucky brown listerine (i dunno if there is brown, but she said brown, so...brown it is). you "wash" your hands in it, like soak it all over your hands and let it dry. Then handle your biting bird. The alcohol in the listerine evaporates and what's left is the nasty taste and antiseptic. It numbs their tongue and they don't like it. I didn't even think about it! Of course listerine would work! It's a good thing Nicky doesn't bite because there would be listerine everywhere. oh, gotta go...i hope you like this tip!
    <~*Monika*~>

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: biting tip

Sorry Monika,but you want to gain your birds trust,not make it fear your hands.There is no easy way,just time,training,trust...

WARNING:And I do not recommend anyone use Listerine or any mouth wash with their birds.It has not been proven safe for your birds.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 09-18-2006 at 05:07 AM. Reason: add warning

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Monika
    Thanks

it's not gonna fear your hands, just learn not to bite. Think about it...They get on your hand and it's like BITE BITE BITE...wow that tastes bad...i better not do that anymore.
    not, bite bite bite, this TASTES bad so let me not climb abord again.
    they can't taste with their feet like flies, so there should be no reason for them to fear your hand.
    <~*Monika*~>

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I would do it if it was a piece of forniture or cords etc. but I agree with Lori. Are you going to wash your hands with listerine for the next 50-75 years while you own this bird? It is only a temporary solution. A biting bird will try once every day and the day you haven't done your listerine wash, you better watch it.

Preventing the behaviour is MUCH more effective than masking it.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

well consider they use their beaks for more than just biting. they use them to feel, their little tongues explore new surfaces and often pick at moles and hairs on hands - they would pick up the taste this way too and would be denied the natural need to beak things. I would possibly consider it if birds only used their beaks for biting, but they do not... it is probably healthier and better in the long run to get them to realize that actual biting is not OK and guide them to taking out that urge on toys, not hands.

sometimes birds use biting as a method of communication also. they don't have hands obviously like us, and their wings are really only useful for balance and flying, so they communicate issues like threats via biting. "hey, that guy looks dangerous -- let's get out of here!" could be communicated through a bite. this is not a bite with the intent to hurt, it's a warning bite. you see - there is a whole list of reasons why birds bite rather than just to be brats. birds are more intelligent than just "I'm gonna bite this because I wanna"... heh, well most of the time. LOL sometimes they really are just being bratty, and those times are when you enforce rules and set boundaries.

So. overall, my personal opinion is... if biting was that simple, then possibly it could work - but it isn't so I think figuring out the cause and going from there is better for the owner and the bird in the long run. plus... I might be a tad concerned about the toxicity of listerine for parrots over long periods of time.

Name
    Cara
    Thanks

Well put, Josh. I have a petstore brat who is absolutely not into being handled. He'll step up when he feels like it, and nips and nibbles pretty much the whole time. He loves us, he's just not that confident when we're handling him. I don't think doing something to associate our hands with the horrible taste of listerine and the awful feeling of a numb tongue (think back to your last filling - how much did you like it?) is a step in the right direction. I'd much rather keep going with the patience and distraction method we're using. We want him to trust us enough to feel comfortable, not fear us even more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monika1013 View Post
    it's not gonna fear your hands, just learn not to bite. Think about it...They get on your hand and it's like BITE BITE BITE...wow that tastes bad...i better not do that anymore.
    not, bite bite bite, this TASTES bad so let me not climb abord again.
    they can't taste with their feet like flies, so there should be no reason for them to fear your hand.
    <~*Monika*~>
    Well,I don't think the bird will sit there and reason it out like you......
    You are forgetting that a parrots beak IS like a third foot.They climb using it,test the place they are going to step first;Merlin often beaks my hand before stepping on.And as Josh mentions,it may be toxic for birds.And before you say it is not toxic for us so how could it.....we can eat chocolate,and avocado and they are toxic for birds.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 09-11-2006 at 04:09 AM.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Rascal bites me sometimes but personally there is no way I would do that to him. I have only had him for a couple of months, it takes time and patience to urn their trust. I can't see how making his tong numb would be healthy to do. He will fear your hands and then it will be harder to train him.

There has been no research done saying this is healthy so you may be putting your bird at risk every time you do that. There is alcohol in Listerine and this is #1 thing you should never give birds, along with chocolate and avocado.

Name
    Monika
    Thanks

Alcohol evaporates. That's how perfume and cologne works.

I've never had a filling, but i have had a numb tongue, thanks throat losenges.

The lady at the pet store used it on her biting birds, and has had them for over a year.

I'm pretty sure the first few times your bird bites you and tastes that, it's gonna be like "gross...no more biting that" not "gross, maybe tomorrow it'll taste better"

It was a tip. Not a need for an attack.

-Monika

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Monika this is far from an attack.Please don't go there.
    Go ahead use the mouth wash.I won't.
    WARNING:And I do not recommend anyone use Listerine or any mouth wash with their birds.It has not been proven safe for your birds.

Alot of first time bird owners visit Tailfeathers,I believe we should try our best to give good advice.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 09-18-2006 at 06:02 AM. Reason: add warning

~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Monika
    Thanks

First, i'll go whereever i want.
    2. I don't need to use the mouthwash, my Nicky is a sweetheart.
    3. that's unfair that i put my time to help others struggling with biting birds, you (plural) come in here and contradict me. Give your opinion of course, but just leave it at that. Changing font colors and then dissing my advice, not cool.
    "Alot of first time bird owners visit Tailfeathers,I believe we should try our best to give good advice."

Oh yea, my proof, all of Mary's birds who used to bite: don't bite, and they're still alive and well. She's taken them to vets of all kinds, so there's no underlying illness or anything. Yea, avian vets btw.

-Monika

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Well,I ran it by my friends on another forum and today I called a local vets office and they all agree it is not safe.It used to be recommended as an anti-plucking wash too(by well meaning but unaware people)...but it is a toxic substance for birds and should not be used for birds.It also kills bacteria(good & bad).On another forum I was told that it could upset a birds delicate flora (good bacteria aiding digestion) and make a bird VERY sick.
    I am sorry you are taking this personally,Monika...this is not a fight to decide who wins.....it really is all about our loving birds and wanting to be absolutely sure we are treating them right.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 09-25-2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammar

~Mignon McLaughlin

Thanks

Getting bit by a bird is like falling off a horse- 99.9999 percent of the time its your fault. You + the environment + the birds reaction to you and the environment= the birds response (a bite)

I have 4 rescue parrots, all of which came to me with aggression issues. I never needed to use a 'biting deterrant' for any of them. This 'tip' is much like that 'no biters' stuff you can pick up at the supermarket for people who bite their nails... not only does it taste bad, but its ineffective. In this case, its dangerous aswell.

Posting your opinion on a public forum gurantees responses- and there is always someone who will disagree with the subject. In this case, no one seems to think Listerine and birds is a good idea.

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

no one here disagreeing with you is trying to personally attack you. we disagree with the information - you think it is a good idea, we think is is unsafe and if what we know about avian behavior is true, this wouldn't be good because you could very likely end up punishing your bird for something it didn't deserve to be punished for. as I said before (and nicely... I worded it carefully, but evidently not carefully enough?), the reason why parrots bite is much more complex than just... 'bite bite bite. ew that tastes bad, won't do it again.'

She's taken them to vets of all kinds, so there's no underlying illness or anything. Yea, avian vets btw.
    has she told them her little trick for getting them to stop biting? or are you saying that they all checked out healthy even though she uses this trick, and even though it wasn't specifically mentioned to them, it surely must mean it's safe? if the former, I would say the vets need to go back to vet school, if the latter, I would say that she has been lucky that none of her birds got ill from this. but that certainly does not mean it is safe for all birds.

Hormonal
    Thanks

ahhhh...
    our opinions feel like extensions of ourselves..our egos are so tied in with them
    so when someone disagrees it hurts
    and when someone agrees it feels good..u feel validated and u feel that i belong
    its like in every group...every clique..
    and we write with such brevity most of the time that it can come across harsh...
    someone comes on triumphantly waving a "hey look what i discovered flag" they wanna help they wanna share they feel powerful and important..and it feels so great
    then someone disagrees..it stings...some fight back fiesty and determined ..others show belly ..some just slink away
    it is just human nature
    lol....just that and everything else!

Remove Ads