where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Reassurance please!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Connie
    Thanks

Reassurance please!

Miss Daisy, cockatiel, has layed eggs again! 7! Jazzy, blue crown conure, thinks he is the daddy. He takes over for her so she can eat, etc. He did try 'playing house' with her, but, he is so big he just squished her. My Mother is really hoping the eggs are fertile. That is not possible, right? They have seperate cages, but, we leave the doors open when we are home so he goes to visit.

I guess I just need someone to tell me it can't be done with these two.

Connie

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Re: Reassurance please!

No hope for babies, sorry.
    Jane

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Sorry Connie, but it's not beyond the realms of possiblity. It may not be likely, but it is possible. As they say - where there's a will - there's a way.

The best thing to do is to candle the eggs - check to see if they are fertile. If they are - well that really opens a can of worms.

I have to admit that I'm concerned about the cross breeding of species. There is talk that there is no such thing as a "normal" cockatiel - with all the mutations that everyone is breeding, a completely normal tiel without any splits is almost a thing of the past.

Sure, it may be interesting to see what you get, but the chances are that the chicks won't be healthy and may not survive... If they do survive, then they may be shunned by all other birds because of their 'difference'. They may never find a mate and never be very happy.

If I were in your situation, and the eggs were fertile, I would boil them or whatever to ensure they don't hatch. I would then only allow my birds supervised play time together.

If they are fertile, please do some research about cross-breeding before you decide to breed them.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Thanks

It isnt possible to get anything from those eggs, not at all. Just let them play around... no harm done since there wont be any chicks.

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

oh mowsie has written an excellent article about how to get her to stop laying those eggs.
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...n/hormones.php

it's unhealthy for her to do so, so it would be a very good idea to start soothing her hormones now.

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

I do not think it is possible unless the species had the same chromosome numbers. Which would mean that it would have to a bird very, very, very similar but still a seperate species to a cockatiel, as in if they shared a recent a common ancestor, (A bird which they recently both evolved from). An example of this is a horse and a donkey (I THINK they have the same..). There are no pre zygotic seperators (i.e. they fit togeather and have similar courtship rituals) but the "outcome" (mule etc) is still infertile meaning the donkey and horse are seperate as there is a post zygotic prevention factor (the mule cannot have fertile offspring with donkeys and horses...). Would I be correct in saying that a conure and a cockatiel are not very similar? As in they did not recently evolve from a common ancestor in a similar environment? This should mean they have a different chromosome number which means all the eggs should be infertile. (With two different sets of chromosomes the instructions to create cells, protiens etc will all be messed up, I don't even think the DNA from a cockatiel and a conure would be able to recombine correctly as it would be different lengths)(Sorry, this is just from the top of my head, I could probably come up with a better answer if I busted out some text books and did some research Some body correct me if I've said something silly).

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Connie
    Thanks

Thank you for your responses. I am glad to hear I won't be a grandparront!! I have 6 birds, all except 1 are re-homed. I do not want to bring more into our home, especially weak or unhealthy babies. I also worry about Miss Daisy. I did read the article on egg laying. Have done everything except move her house to a different location. Will try that next. Jazzy misses her. They were almost inseparable. He will watch the eggs for her for awhile, but, loses interest pretty fast. She does come out at dinner time to eat and play.
    Again, thank you for your responses.
    Connie

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Would I be correct in saying that a conure and a cockatiel are not very similar?
    Yes. Cockatiels are Australian birds, conures are from south america.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

As everyone said, there is no way a conure/cockatiel cross can produce fertile eggs. While both are in the parrot family, they are not closely related parrots. You are safe. I'd wait for them to loose interest and then remove them. (If you pull too soon, they will be relaid.)

BTW, I think it is great that you have mostly rehomed birds. Cheers to you!
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Remove Ads