Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: birds started mating and acting 100 percent different

Name
    steven
    Thanks

birds started mating and acting 100 percent different

Ok first off i would like to ask for those of you who are so against breeding birds to please not comment on this site. I dreaded even posting this question because it seems that useful information is hard to come by here. Most people find it easiest to give a negative response rather than actually try and help the situation. Now i know this isnt all of you, some members here are great!

Now that i got that out here is my situation. I just built an aviary for my two cockatiels now that i moved and have a much bigger home. The aviary is 8 feet tall with a 5 by 5 depth and width. As soon as i got done putting the toys in and the food my two cockatiels started to mate. They actually started mating about 45 minutes after i put them in it I guess they wanted to break there new home in. I had never seen them mate before let alone be even affectionate towards eachother in any way. Now that i know they are mating i am interested in helping them breed. So i bought a nest box with aspen shavings and put it in there cage. They seem to like it a lot and she spends most of her time in it including at night. I have the birds on a pellet diet, they have always had a mineral block in their cage as well as a cuttle bone. They eat lettuce and a couple other veggies whenever i have it.

So what should i expect to happen? Do all cockatiels lay eggs after mating? Is there anything i can do to help them breed?

thank you

Thanks

Re: birds started mating and acting 100 percent different

There really isnt much else to do other than read and read until things get serious with the babies hatching. It sounds like they are being fed pretty good. Just make sure to offer extra veggies now that they have decided to breed.
    Im glad that you used aspen shavings, best choice for nestbox bedding.
    If everything is right and she is spending time in the box, you should expect the first egg any day. One thing I can suggest is to really limit the amount that you touch the eggs. Do take a pencil and make a small mark softly on the bottom fatter part of the egg with the number of the egg in the order it was laid. Then just mark on the calendar when egg 1 was laid, egg 2, etc... After that, you really dont need to touch them much... candling can be done by just shining the light at the egg from different angles and you will see red in there which tells you that all is going fine. From the many hundreds of eggs that my birds have hatched, I have found over the years that the eggs do best and more hatch whn the eggs arent touched.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

BTW, how old are the 2?

Name
    steven
    Thanks

thank you for the kind reply. Both birds are around 2 years old now.

So is it pretty much guaranteed that they will lay some eggs?

I will be sure not to touch the eggs.

Thanks

Well it isnt totally guaranteed but they sound like everything is being done on track and if she is spending time in the box, then the eggs should be on their way. There is a tiny percent that she just wont ever lay but that rarely happens and you should be getting eggs soon.

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Hi Steve,

When you are wanting to breed your birds, you need to simulate the conditions they would have in the wild. Soft foods need to be in good supply. This can be cooked rice, apples, peas, corn, sprouted seeds etc.

I suspect you are likely to get some eggs. Mineral block and cuttlefish are great for calcium, but since this is the first clutch, think about sprinkling crushed egg shells over their food as well (after you have sterilised the shells of course).

The other thing needed should eggs arrive is a bath. The birds need to keep the humidity up in the nest and they do this by moistening their feathers in the bath. We use a shallow dish.

The only other suggestion is to read up on potential problems, such as egg binding, feather plucking chicks, hand feeding from day 1 etc. Find out as much as you can before you need it. If a problem does arise, it can reach critical stage very quickly, so having the knowledge at your fingertips, might be the only way to save a bird.

Good luck.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Hormonal
    Thanks

can u join a parrot society?
    here in sydney australia ( the parrot society and the budgerigar society) they bend over backwards to help u
    they are the sort of people who will invite u over to look at their setups and they genuinely love to pass on their knowledge to young people..nothing is ever too small or too big..no questions is deemed stupid...( and i probably ask a lot of dumb sounding questions lol)
    they have great lectures too ..u dont have to be into exhibition birds..u just need to have a passion for knowledge and bettering ur skills
    have a google and see what u find in ur local area..clubs are all over the suburbs here in sydney..their just offshoots of the main society

Name
    steven
    Thanks

sorry not interested in joining a bird club. I live in the middle of no where anyways.

So she laid an egg yesterday evening. Her first egg ever! She seems to be doing well. When polly (the male) went into the nest box this morning she left to get some food. Now they both are sitting in the nest box.

Could someone please tell me what mutations i should expect? He is standard grey and she looks like this

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Your hen is a pied bird (possibly a reverse pied which is a heavily marked pied) this mutation is not sex linked so all your babies will be normal split to pied. This will mean they should have some odd white or yellow feathers. However, if your cock bird is carrying one of the sex linked genes (ie he is normal split to pearl/lutino/cinnamon) then the female offspring will display his split mutation. So they could be Pearl split to pied. Having female offspring is the only way you will know if the cock is carrying a sex linked split.

Hope this helps.

Jo
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sharle
    Thanks

She is very pretty and congrats to you all! Sounds like you are doing a great job! cant wait for the outcome hehehe! babies are SO EXCITING!
    All Things That Glitter Are Not Gold!