where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Ceiling Fan scare!!!

Here I Am! Hatched! aria_vanyel's Avatar
    Name
    Ksandra
    Thanks

Exclamation Ceiling Fan scare!!!

OH MY GOSH! I just nearly had a heart attack like 15 minutes ago. My heart is STILL racing a million miles an hour.

Griffon was out with me, sitting on his gym. His wings aren't completely grown out yet so I haven't clipped them yet. I didn't realize the ceiling fan was on! But I also didn't consider the possibility that Griffon could fly properly with only a couple of his flight feathers grown. I'll NEVER make that mistake again. Anyway, he decided to come to my shoulder and watch the video I was watching with me. I had a bag of skittles sitting upright on the table beside me and they decided to fall. The sound scared Griffon and he took off FLYING across the room. I nearly dropped my laptop when I jumped up to try and get him. Thats when I realized the ceiling fan was on... Full blast... He landed on the knick knack closet nd I thought he'd be safe there until I turned off the fan and managed to climb up to get him. But when he saw me standing and heading to turn off the fan, he decided that he wanted to come back to me. "NO GRIFFON!" I yelled and he NARROWLY missed the ceiling fan edges by about 4 inches because he veered off in a different direction. If he would have kept going................

I'm still upset... HE's upset... We're a nervous wreck right now........... Okay, he's not a nervous wreck. I cuddled him and put him back in his cage. He's in there playing with his toys and happily singing. I'm still upset anyway! Just a reminder to ANYBODY and EVERYBODY who reads this. REMEMBER to make sure your ceiling fan is NOT on when your birds are out! I know I'll never EVER make that mistake again. i'm shaking I'm so upset!
    *~Be yourself- nobody is better qualified~*

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

Re: Ceiling Fan scare!!!

Oh gosh, what a terrible fright for you! Griffon probably got frightened more by the bag falling and your screeming, lol -- he might not have a clue of the real danger!

Just glad poor Griffon is OK, though -- whao... scary...
    We got ceiling fans, so I am looking out for them -- going into summer now, so I have to be extra vigilant.

Thanks for the warning -- very happy for you it only resulted in a racing heart.
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Yes, birds and ceiling fans don't mix. We have talked about removing them from our house.
    Jane

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Oh I am so pleased Griffon is okay, that is a very scary tale. I don't think we realise just how high these birds can fly even when their wing feathers aren't fully grown. Our gcc Peaches has his wings clipped but he can still manage to get higher than we would like. We have a ceiling fan in our conservatory and it was very difficult during the heatwave we had earlier this Summer to make sure that the birds were never out when the fan was on.
    Peaches Green Cheek Conure
    Mango Lutino Cockatiel, flew away September 13 2006

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Yes, you hear all the time about ceiling fans and birds. The problem seems to come in when someone doesn't know it was on because someone else turned it on, they forgot it was on, they did not know that someone had the bird out, someone hit the wrong switch and didn't know it turned the fan on, the fan got turned on but was turned right off or someone outside of the normal home did not know any better. I have heard this kind of story many a time and that has been why we have talked about taking them just out. Accidents happen all the time. I just don't want to be one of those people that say I wish I had just taken them out.
    Jane

Hormonal
    Thanks

flighted birds

i have just obtained three more cockbirds to be rehomed...
    no problems i have at least six people who are clamouring for them

so i took them home with me to observe and kinda think about whod be best for what bird

so after a few hours i decided to clip their wings...these are ex show birds ( english type budgies0 so theyre ok with a bit of handling although theyre not as tame as they hopefully will be)
    i successfully clipped two of them and reached in for the third..
    he took off ..beautiful magnificent splendid...what a sight to behold..a gorgeous ex show bird displaying his magnificent wings and tail
    luckily i was in a small room with the windows draped ...he finally settled on a small table

they are wonderful these winged creatures
    but
    pass me those scissors please..cos my heart was in my mouth even tho there is nothing of particular danger in this room

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Some have very strong feelings about clipping and not clipping. What works for one may not work or another.
    Jane

I love my babies! Egg's Cracking... tiellover's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Ohhh! I'm glad nothing happened to your little one! What a scare.
    MY FAMILY...
    Tiels- Chief, Tweety, & Cricket
    Parakeets- Sampson & Sky
    Green Cheek Conure- Sammy