Thread: My Aviary is done

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

My Aviary is done

And it only took about 3 weeks

I will attempt to post a picture.

The birds are loving it! I am loving it too. I am so happy that they have a nice big place now.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sharle
    Thanks

Re: My Aviary is done

omg its just LOVELY!!!!! AWESOME JOB!!! congrats to you and all yur feathered family members!!!!! thanks for the pics too!!! very cool!!!!!!
    All Things That Glitter Are Not Gold!

Name
    Melody
    Thanks

OH wow that looks really nice! what kind of birds are u keeping in there?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thanks!

The birds seem to really like it. They have to learn to fly. That sounds silly but seriously, they don't know much about it although they sure are practicing a lot now.

There are 5 parakeets in the aviary. I have 4 finches as well, but they are not it this one. I am going to make them a flight cage of sorts. As much as I like them they are very nasty little birds. LOL I have to fashion something a tad bit easier to clean than this for them.

Right now I have to clean my house and get caught back up in my shop. I am behind in everything. But at least this is done and the parakeets are in it and appear to be very happy.

Name
    Megan
    Thanks

oo i really love it!
    what kind of plants did you use in there?

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Julie, very well done! Totally impressed and it looks so comfortable for the occupants to enjoy. Thank you for posting these pictures!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

The birds do love it. They didn't even want to go to sleep last night. LOL

As to the plants, I can't remember the exact names of them, but they were on the safe for birds list. There are 2 artificials, one fern and the swag. The live plants include a zebra plant, asparicus (sp?) fern of some sort, zinna's and a cane plant.

I love my babies! Egg's Cracking... tiellover's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Very cool Julie!! Looks like you did an awsome job!
    MY FAMILY...
    Tiels- Chief, Tweety, & Cricket
    Parakeets- Sampson & Sky
    Green Cheek Conure- Sammy

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

What a great job you did. What did you use and how did you do it? Can we get some more pictures, close-ups.
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for your compliments!

As to how it was made, can we talk "my way"

I just went out to my shop, where I make and sell woodcrafts, and looked around first at what I had on hand. I started a little at a time and just kinda played it by ear and built as I went.

It has 1 x 12 boards for the back. I didn't have a sheet of plywood that I could use. So I used them. I got some 1 x 4's and used them for the sides. I got hardware cloth and used it on the sides and the top. There is also a lighting grid panel on the top that the lights are sitting on. Not sure I really needed that, but just in case a cat gets up there it does at least put more room between them and the birds. I trimmed it up in white lattice. The front is glass. The bottom is two panels of glass and can open up if I need it to. The top is hinged and can swing out, again, if I want it too. I really don't however. I have it completely fixed down so it does not open at all. I can attest to this fact as one of the cats hit it hard last night trying for a bird and the glass did not budge. Thank goodness!!

The back is covered with peel and stick tiles squares. I did put a little nail in each corner of each square though. The bottom of the cage, which I originally wanted to have pull out is now proably not going to pull out. I put the tile on the bottom also. I intend to just vaccum out the bottom when I need to. The vaccum does not bother the birds at all. So this should be okay. They act like they don't hear it at all.

If I had it to do over again I would not put the double doors on the bottom though. I would just do the one piece of glass like at the top. Much easier. It took me forever to get the bottom glass even. Probably because my aviary is not entirely squared so to speak. LOL Anyway, one sheet like on the top is the way to go.

I will post more pictures now. The lighting is not that good so please forgive the pics if they are not the greatest.

All Hail Hypnotoad Teenager ZoologyGirl's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

wowsa...it's like budige paradise.

~Heather~
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." - Juan Ramón Jiménez

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

The pictures are great. You did a great job on it. I wondered, it was so clear never thought it was glass. Way more than something I could do.
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

The glass was the most expensive part. The birds love looking out though and we can see in it without having to look through wire.

It took me awhile and it may not be perfect but I can honestly I made it myself and I didn't have to spend thousands of dollars on one from Cages by Design!

I also didn't think I had room for it, and I don't, I just made the room. LOL

Oh, I almost forgot to add, the whole thing is take-apart-able. I made it with screws and dowels and no glue or nails. So if I ever have to move it I can take it apart. Perish the thought of ever having to do that however!
    Last edited by lovemybirds; 09-20-2006 at 03:49 PM.

I love my babies! Egg's Cracking... tiellover's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Hey Julie I was wondering if I could ask how much it did cost?? I would think it still wasn't cheap! Are you naturally pretty handy?? I don't think I could do something like that even if it was fairly inexpensive.

It took me awhile and it may not be perfect but I can honestly I made it myself and I didn't have to spend thousands of dollars on one from Cages by Design!
    MY FAMILY...
    Tiels- Chief, Tweety, & Cricket
    Parakeets- Sampson & Sky
    Green Cheek Conure- Sammy

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 325.00 I didn't realize I was spending that much because I was picking this up there and that up here and then I had the 1x12's already in my shop. I realized the expense of it all when, really, when I had to plunk down the money for the glass. It was the single most expensive part of the aviary. I don't regret the glass though. It is wonderful to be able to "see" the birds clearly.

I was kicking myself for spending that much but when I thought about the cost of the ready made ones I realized that I really got off with basically a drop in the bucket in comparison.

As to being "pretty handy" I guess I am. I have a woodcrafts shop and a website that I sell from. I have been doing wood items for about 14 years now. I built this all by myself. It is not perfect, but I am happy with it