Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pigeon in need!

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

Pigeon in need!

Hi, My brother found a pigeon today that had been hit by a car. When he went over to look at it, it was still alive he picked it up and brought it home to see if I could do anything. I went outside to look at him and I notice that he look okay he was reacting to movement but, he seemed to be in shock. (Don't read this part if you have a weak stomach!) I looked down at his leg and I saw that one of his legs was broken and the bone had come threw the skin and it was hanging off of his body. The bleeding had stopped but, I didn't know how long he had been there for.(Okay to read again) I hopped in the car and rushed him to the vet but, the doctor had gone home for the night. The vet tech said the only thing I could do was to go home and keep an eye on him until tomorrow because the bird sanctuary was closed for the night and the machine said to just leave it in a box in front of the building. Well any stray cat, racoon, or fox could get him so, I brought him back home and he's resting in the garage safe from predators. I looked at him closely after I brought him home and noticed he had a band on his leg and he was only born this year and he is not just a street pigeon he is salt and pepper( a bit like a dalmation dog). He was very thirsty and rapidly drank his water. I will be bring him to another vet tomorrow hopefully he makes it through the night. wish me luck. Thanks Morgan
    Last edited by Rainforest Adventures; 09-19-2006 at 08:22 PM.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Pigeon in need!

How awful-- but I am glad he found his way to you. All you can do is keep him quiet and warm for now. Do you have him in a shoebox (with holes on the top and sides, with shredded newspapers? That would help comfort him. Do you have a heating pad that you can put under the box- set on low? I will say a prayer for him. Let us know how he is doing.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sharle
    Thanks

oh morgan god bless you!! Please let us know how he is doing!! i cant wait to hear!! your in my prayers and i wish you all the luck in the world with this poor little guy!
    All Things That Glitter Are Not Gold!

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Hope he finds his way back home.
    Jane

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

Update! The pigeon made it through the night and I took him to the wild bird sanctuary this morning. The girl at the front desk said that he would be fine but the leg would have to be amputated. She told me that pigeons do just fine with one leg and he will have to stay the winter there but will be released in the spring with a flock of pigeons that are already at the centre. Thanks Morgan

Thanks

He will be released?!?! He belonged to someone if he had a band on his leg! That is why he got hit by a car... he got out and didnt know what to look out for outside so releasing him would just be killing him. Can you go back there and say something?

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

Yes I agree domestic pigeons especially oddly colored ones stick out like sore thumbs to hawks and get eaten fast. Someone is probably missing that pigeon if they went through the trouble to put a band on it.
    Lindsey

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

The owner doesn't want his one legged pigeon back. If he stays at the centre for the winter with wild pigeon it will teach him to look after himself. The vet said that they have done it before and they have seen the same pigeons fly back to the centre every year. Trust me they won't release him if they don't feel he can survive on his own in a flock. Thanks Morgan

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Morgan made the right choice in taking the bird to the Wild Bird Care Centre. We have taken 3 different birds to the Centre and knew each time it was the right thing to do. They are extremely well cared for there, and I would not hesitate to do so again. If you are at all interested in finding out what our Wild Bird Care Centre is all about, then click on the link to their website...I think you'll be surprised at some of the birds they have taken care of...

http://www.wildbirdcarecentre.org/index.htm

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

It's just not a wild pigeon and with it having one leg it will not do well in the wild. Oddly colored pigeons especially ones with white on them stand out and attract hawks. Can't you keep it or find someone near you that wants a pigeon?
    Lindsey

All Hail Hypnotoad Teenager ZoologyGirl's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

I always hate seeing injured wildlife

There was a duck in our driveway once that appeared to have been hit by a car (blood on head). We cought him and I had a closer look at his head and well....it didn't look too good at all. I brought it to the emergency vet place and they took it...My guess is they put it down because I don't see how a duck could live with what that things head looked like. If they did end up putting it down at least it was out of it's misery rather than living in pain for a few hours and dying. I'm glad the pigeons injury was survivable.

~Heather~
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." - Juan Ramón Jiménez

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

Sadly, the pigeon had to be put down due to internal problems.

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Sorry to here...
    -content removed by author-

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

sorry to hear that the little pigeon had to be put down *tear*, but at least he wasn't forced to die alone and cold, not to mention extremely frightened, on the side of the road. i think you did the right thing and i commend you for taking it to the vets/sanctuary becuase most ppl wouldn't. i'm glad that you kept tabs on the little guy until the very end, and even tho it didn't turn out perfectly at least he wasn't alone.