where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Injured Young Robin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jessie
    Thanks

Question Injured Young Robin

I saved a young robin today from a stray cat. He seems to have a strained wing, I wouldn't think its broken as he can fly about a foot or so, and he can hold it against himself normally but when he stretches it to fly, you can see its a little crooked, as if he doesn't want to open it all the way. His only other injury is a scratch to the eye, but not to the eyeball just the inner corner ( like were our tear ducts would be on us . This seems to not affect him as he keeps his eye open and can rotate it. He is not making a sound, and I have him in a medium cat carrier ( I dont own cats ). He is in there with towels for warmth. Ok my questions are: can I rehabilitate him on my own. Has anybody else taken care of a robin. What are his chances if I call fish and wildlife? Will they really care for him, or just destroy him ( note: where I live we have had an overabundance of robins this year) I am hopefull that in a day or so his wing will rest and he will try to fly. I'm not sure what to feed him. Any advice would be wonderful. Thank you.

Name
    Megan
    Thanks

Re: Injured Young Robin

for feeding i found this info:
    American Robins feed on a mixture of both wild and cultivated fruits, berries, earthworms, and insects such as beetle grubs, caterpillars, and grasshoppers. Robins are flexible and will turn to whichever food is most readily accessible, although the diet generally consists of approximately 40% invertebrates, 60% fruits and berries.

im not sure if fish and wildlife would help him or destroy him.. i live in the states and dont really know.. but chances are if he has a broken wing that isnt an easy fix they wont keep him around, but it wouldnt hurt to call and see what they could do.
    i would try to keep him in a very clean enviornment if he has wounds to prevent any infections in the scratch to his eye, and if it is open, maybe take a Qtip with warm water and clean it.

i also found this site
    http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/Pi...rokenwing.html

good luck!

Name
    Dachia
    Thanks

Hi Jessie,

Do you know if the Robin has been weaned from the parents (does it open its mouth at the sight of you?). If it has not been weaned, you want to go to a pet store and get some Katie Exact baby bird formula and a syringe (without the neddle of course!...they sell them at pet stores). The directions are on the can. It's really simple to do. You mix the food with hot water, put in the syringe and feed the baby....make sure you get it down the throat and into the crop. If it is eating solid food, do a search on the internet to see what Robins eat. I'm not sure what they eat....mealy worms? I found this website on what robins like... http://www.rachelsrobin.com/rachelrobin.php

Keep the robin as warm as possible...If it is below 70 in your area, you will need to put a heating pad in the cage for the robin to sit/stand on. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do.

Good luck with the Robin...they are so beautiful!
    Dachia

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jessie
    Thanks

UPDATE:
    I went to put in a warm towel in the cage this morning and the robin took flight, lol in my basement. 15 minutes later I caught him again, and his eye doesn't look any different. But at least he can fly. I am thinking perhaps it was a sprain or just shock. I took him out to out tree in the back and set him up on a high branch, he hopped/flew up higher and with hope and a prayer he is free. Thank you for your input. I think he just needed somwhere safe and quiet for a night to regain himself.
    Jessie