Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Chicks hatched from abandoned eggs hopefully have foster parents...

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Chicks hatched from abandoned eggs hopefully have foster parents...

One of my pairs of cockatiels laid 6 eggs, but only 5 were fertile and the other egg didn't hatch but we were fortunate to be able to acquire 3 eggs from the local zoo which the pair hatched and are raising beautifully. The chicks are now 2-3 weeks old.

Another pair laid 4 eggs, all of which were fertile, but Dad didn't do his share. He wouldn't enter the nest box unless the hen was in there, so she abandoned the eggs.

So I pulled the eggs and placed them in our brooder and this morning, the first chick hatched. It had a small piece of shell stuck to it's back, which I gently removed by wetting it with a cotton bud (q-tip?). I gave it a small amount of pedialyte and then put it and it's shell in with the chicks from the first pair.

It was great to see the older ones snuggling around this wee fluffball to help keep it warm and then the hen came in and started feeding it. Then she sat on it to help keep it warm.

The second egg is due to hatch in a couple of hours and the 3rd egg has drawndown so should be here in a day or two. I will probably pull the older chicks and handfeed them if the new chicks are accepted by the foster parents, but at the moment I want to keep them in there to help keep baby warm.

Just wanted to share this experience.

Jo
    Last edited by odge; 09-23-2006 at 04:06 PM.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Tiels..the little weirdos Brand New Egg libertygirl2007's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Re: Chicks hatched from abandoned eggs hopefully have foster parents...

Well that is great. You seem so excited and I wish you luck with all your little babies. They will grow up fast. I am glad you decided to share with us.

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Things have taken a little backwards slide here. The second chick hatched and I put this in with the other pair as well, but the hen started pecking the little babies - while I was watching! So I put both chicks back in the brooder and have been handfeeding them - every 2 hours. The next egg should hatch tomorrow so pretty soon I will have 3 very little mouths to feed.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Oh wow...I am sorry that it didn't work out with the foster mom. Good luck with the little guys. I know how hard it was to feed one baby from day 1 for me.... I can't imagine having to feed 3 of them.

Cockatiels- JayJay, Jackie, Cosmo, Precious, Dakota, Jasper, Layla, Luna, Zazu and Teasel
    B&G Macaw- Charlie
    Cats- Bosco, Abby, Bear, Molly, Max and Buddy

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Oh WAH! Guess henny decided she didn't want that many mouths to feed! It's amazing how they KNOW when the baby isn't theirs. :/

Well.. I don't envy you the feeding schedule.. but ::Sigh:: I do love the babies!! Can't wait to see the pictures!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

I'm lucky that I'm a night owl - so I can handle the wee hours of the morning shift and then hubby who is a morning person looks after the normal morning times (ie 7am).

Well, both chicks seem to be doing well, they are gaining weight and their heads (where they were pecked) don't look as sore. It's amazing having a feeding response from such a small wee thing. The third chick is pipping away at its shell so it should grace us with its presence in the next 24 hours.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I download them.

Thanks all for your support and kind wishes.

Jo
    The family: