Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicks from abandoned eggs - Update 25 Oct - more photos

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Chicks from abandoned eggs - Update 25 Oct - more photos

Hi all,

I posted earlier about these chicks that we have hatched artificially, cus the parents abandoned them. We tried them with another pair who have 3 chicks, but unfortunately the hen attacked the new chicks so now having to handfeed the little fluffballs.

Here are some photos for you all...

This is Valentino & Latte... they had a clutch of six, but only 1 was fertile and unfortunately didn't hatch...

We managed to acquire 3 eggs from a clutch of 10 at our local zoo and Latte & Valentino have fostered these 3 little darlings... they are about 2 & half weeks old now...

Here are 2 of the 3 chicks we have hatched. This is 2 days after Latte attacked them, but they still have some redness around their wounds, otherwise they are healing well. The dark patch & puckering on the chick cuddling the egg is the result of nasty foster mum.

My mothers dog looks at me like this...

(Look at my sore head, Mum - don't you feel sorry for me?)

Anyway, that's all I've managed to get so far. The 4th chick should hatch tomorrow, so I might be able to get some more photos then.

Jo
    Last edited by odge; 10-24-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sharle
    Thanks

Re: Chicks from abandoned eggs - photos

oh too cute! thanks for sharing the pics! great job you have done! keep up the good work!! cant wait to see more pics and hear about more updates!!
    All Things That Glitter Are Not Gold!

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

They are so cute! Good luck with the little guys and good job!

Cockatiels- JayJay, Jackie, Cosmo, Precious, Dakota, Jasper, Layla, Luna, Zazu and Teasel
    B&G Macaw- Charlie
    Cats- Bosco, Abby, Bear, Molly, Max and Buddy

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

Lol, I love your captions. The babies look awesome, and cute and fluffy. Keep up the good work, and just remember it's normal to want to give up when things get hard, but it's exeptional not to.

It's funny how birds can be so self centered and vain. Wanting nothing to do with anyone elses offspring with their "inferior" genes.

Good luck!
    Crystal

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Hi all,

Well everything is going fine. All four eggs have now hatched and they are all growing quite nicely.

Here's some photos...

This is the youngest one, soon after hatching yesterday and saying his prayers.

This is the 3rd chick practicing his singing for a girl pose. I can tell cus I put spots of colour on their backs so I can tell them apart. This one has red. It's not blood on his down.

Chick no 2 - the photo was taken in the middle of his dance lesson, so sorry if it's a little bit blurry.

I haven't got a good shot of the first chick, but here they all are together, just after being fed. They seem to feel that the best view of them is from their rear, cus they wouldn't turn round for me at all.

They had some visitors today, 3 older friends paid them a visit. But I guess the hosts were a little bit camera shy and showed us their "best side".

Well, that's all for now. I'm pleased I've managed to look after them without any major hiccups - so far.
    Jo
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sharle
    Thanks

OMG im in love!!!!!!!!! awesome pics and totally awesome babies!!! wtg and congrats!! keep up the good work!!! WOW RED how neat!!! cant wait to see more!!!!
    All Things That Glitter Are Not Gold!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Oh AWWWWWWW! Lookit the lil fuzzies! They grow so fast! Snuggle them while they're bitty! And get losts of pictures! And.. um.. share them with us!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

lol OH Ehm Gee!! That is so adorable. Like all baby critters they are funny looking and adorable at the sametime. lol So how many do you have all togather? lol
    I wonder how they are going to turn out and which are what genders. The older chicks are adorable to lol *squishes them* I wonder what my two would do with chicks lol Good luck with them! lol Had to mention. The older ones look goose like *snicker*

---

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

The number of chicks in our house... well, if I'd seen this post 2 hours ago, then I would have said 7. The 3 older chicks we acquired as eggs from a clutch of 10 from our local zoo. They have been raised by the parents shown at the start of this thread. The four babies are from our parents who abandoned the nest. The mother is a very nice cinnamon pied and dad is a split to pied, so we should have some pied babies there.

BUT.... I have just brought home another 7 chicks from the zoo for handfeeding. Let me explain...

I am looking after the breeding program of the cockatiels at our zoo because they have got so many birds (mainly greys) from last year and they want to limit the numbers this year. They've asked me to keep a record of the parents for each clutch (as best I can since the birds don't always comply and "are out" when I do my nest box check) and then observe what mutations are coming from which pair etc. This way the pairs that only produce grey chicks will have their 2nd clutch of eggs "de-fertilised".

So I now have a total of 14 chicks for handfeeding - so far. I also have another 9 eggs that aren't due to hatch for a week or two from another couple of pairs and will get more from the zoo as they come of age.

And no - I don't have a life. LOL

Jo
    The family:

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Re: Chicks - 1, 2, 3 - what a lot...

Hi all,

Well, as I've said, I am looking after the breeding programme of the cockatiels at our local zoo and that involves bringing home their babies for handfeeding...

so here is a photo of the all but one of the birds I have from the zoo...

As you can see, there are 17 birds here (have fun counting ) and a mixture of greys, split to pieds, a cinnamon, a cinnamon pied, a cinnamon pearl, a lutino pearl, and 2 lutinos.

Here is a photo of all the chicks in our house at present...

There is a little baby lutino chick which I pulled from the nest today because its two siblings were dead and I wanted this little one to have a chance of survival.

The three bigger birds behind the tub of babies are the birds that have been hatched & raised by one of my pairs, but are originally from the zoo (as eggs).

At the moment it takes 2 of us about 11/2 hrs to feed these, but that should reduce in time as they develop a liking for the formula.

Jo
    The family:

Positively Beautielful! Chick Janeeva's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

Youve got a lot of work on your hands there eh? Theyve got some nice looking zoo birds there. How old are these little guys? They look about 3 weeks old...I'm going to see if my zoo has any tiel eggs or chicks they dont want after I sell my babies.

Keep up the great work on them
    Tiels: Janeeva (Lutino Pied), Rahz (Cinnamon), Peter (Pearl), Micah (Grey), Kiz (Cinnamon Whiteface)
    Budgies: Sprite (Light Green Recessive Pied), Rosella (Violet Opaline)
    Equines: Ramblin' Rose (Running QH), Life's Shadow (Appendix)
    Felines: Nicki (Silver Tabby), Eliza (Maine Coon) and Orion (Calico)
    Canines: Asher (Border Collie/Heeler)

Crele Old English Game Bantams-
    American Game Bantams-

Thanks

wow what a handful. do you get to keep any of the zoo babies or what do they end up doing with them. seems that if they keep breeding at the pace they are the zoo will run out of space.

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

This lot range from 2 weeks to about 3 1/2 weeks old except for the little lutino which I think is around 6 days old.

The zoo sells their offspring which is why the effort is put in to handfeed them. If any of the birds don't happen to find their way back to the zoo - then that is fine. There are a couple of potential babies that I'm interested in, but we're starting to run out of room.

Jo
    The family:

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

I know that you are very busy with your birds but more pictures please. Hehe. I had been wondering what it would look like if all the eggs Lori and Olivia laid had all been fertile and hatched. Now I know, too cute!

Great job.

Name
    Melody
    Thanks

Wow thats a lotta chicks. ^_^;

Must be fun?

Remove Ads