where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Normal Behavior

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sonia
    Thanks

Normal Behavior

I have a female teil that is sitting all puffed up in and on the nest box. She is in the company of a male. For the last 2 days the male usually goes in first and then she follows. Today she went in first and I have heard soft chattering cheeping. I don't know if they have mated or not. She does seem to be eating a little bit more than usual. Is this part of the mating behavior or is it behavior of a hen before laying.

Sonia

Name
    Jose Luis Aguilar
    Thanks

Re: Normal Behavior

I am a little concerned about how your hen is puffing up. From what I have read, when a cockatiel puffs up all their feathers, then they may be sick. In her case, I am concerned that she may be egg bound. Usually a week after the couple has mated, the hen has the egg. You may consider having her checked by the vet, especially if this is her first time and she is a young hen. Monitor her very closely!

As for the chattering, the male is trying to charm the pants off of the female,...literally. It is his way of courting her. My male tiel has been doing that also.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sonia
    Thanks

I have not seen them doing the deed so I don't know if they have mated or not. I have talked tro 2 vets and she has seen 1 and they cant find anything wrong with her. She is a little over a year old. Well puffing up may not have been the right term to use but she looked fluffier than usual.

Sonia

nikolaos00

You didn't say how long she's been sitting puffed up. My hens puff up and get lazy for the day or so before they start laying their eggs. If there's any wheezing, excessive sneezing, tail-bobbing, changes in nostrils, eyes, or the overall appearance of the bird (feathers get real dull looking or seem to have a different feel to them) then there's probably something wrong. I would personally think that she' s just getting ready to bless you with an egg, but I'm not an expert, so keep an eye on her to make sure there aren't any other symptoms.
    I hope this helps. If it doesn't, well... sorry I tried.

Name
    Jose Luis Aguilar
    Thanks

Yeah, this may be her way of reacting to egg laying. Since she is a little young to have babies, keep a close eye on her like you have been. I have been reading your postings, and I wish the best for you! It's a learning experience for all of us!

Keep me posted!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sonia
    Thanks

She just started this sitting and looking fluffed yesterday. Nothing different in appearance(i.e. dull feathers or signs of illness). I am grateful to all who have answered no matter how little they think they have helped. Today both birds have been very vocal calling back and forth all day. Today when she was in the box she was in the back with her tail up against the back of the box and sitting there. No heavy breathing noticed no swaying back and forth or anything like that. I do keep a close eye on her because if she is getting ready to lay I want to catch any problems as soon as I can.

Sonia

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sonia
    Thanks

She now has a dip in the shavings. maybe I'll have soon

Sonia

srkiya

if they haven't breeded yet nothing will happen, if the female was puffing up while sitting next to the nest box but not inside its just a territorial thing she's trying to tell any other females that im bigger than you and this is my nest, as for the male he is trying to charm the female and if she is puffing like i said shes accepted him as her mate, but be careful if this is her first time you need to be ready to hand feed incase the female and male don't know, most birds if raised by the parents have the natural instinct of feeding but if you get one from a hand feeding breeder, beware they won't know how to feed.
    Sr. fellow breeder of 5 adult normal gray/pied cockatiels.

*edited to remove e-mail address*