Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Grey Budgies

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Grey Budgies

Even though I've been researching budgies for two years and getting their care and genetics pounded into my head it won't be anytime soon that I begin to breed (think: when I'm thirty ). The colors that have caught my eye are the purple line from the blues and the grey line from the blues.....and, yes, I know they are the hardest to breed becuase of 1. purple is very, very recessive and finding a full, nicely rounded genetic line of them is practically immpossible especially considering it's unhealthy to breed two purples together. And 2. Grey budgies are practically nonexistent becuase they are not as bright and colored as other budgies so the market is very slim (fortunately they are dominant even over the greens which comes in handy for creating interesting grey crosses ).

The reason I want to breed these is to get some good genetics in there and better the purple lines as well as hopefully create interest in grey budgies (since there is nothing as beautiful as a striking slate budgie it may not be that hard) as well becuase at least people will be getting a healthy, genetically sound budgie from SOMEONE in my town. The petstores here are atrocious (just check out PetCetera's picture of their bird "cages". Trust me, it is worse in person ).

So, anyways I was wondering if anyone knew someone who bred either purple or grey budgies and, if not, how to find out about bird shows in my area.

that is all.

Click the eggs and hatchlings!

100% Bird-A-Holic Moulting Belinda's Avatar
    Name
    Belinda
    Thanks

Re: Grey Budgies

Grey budgies are the most beautiful!! I'm dying to get my hands on one. By purple are you meaning violet? Cause that's not so hard to breed if you can find a violent parent to begin with. I have 3 violet's from a pair: violet opaline hen x skyblue spangle cock. They had a total of 10 babies and a violet in every clutch but one.

Visit Busy Beaks Blog to read about our day-to-day lives and adventures!

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

I've been seeing more and more grey budgies, both here posted by members and at the petstore(s). very dignified color, like wearing a suit.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Yeah, I meant violet but there are also different shades of purple such as the pastel purples (gorgeous things that they are). With the breeding and the purples I'm planning on doing more than one version of the purples (deep violet, blue/purple, pastel purple etc.) so finding proper ones then making sure nothing is wrong with them may be a bit hard....

Also, purple lines (especially if you plan on keeping the offspring to deepen a line to a certain color) need to be bred to strong budgies like a blue or grey if the line is continuing becuase purples, like albino's and lutino's, become weaker if interbred with offspring or budgies of the same color. *sigh* I'm always attracted to the recessive ones. (*Cue pictures of whiteface pied cockatiels*)

And grey's....ARE SO CUTE! I'm sure most people would love to have one but breeders tend to breed only the bright colored ones...*sigh*

100% Bird-A-Holic Moulting Belinda's Avatar
    Name
    Belinda
    Thanks

I have some cinnamon violet hens which are a GORGEOUS lavendar colour. As well as some full strength violets.

Visit Busy Beaks Blog to read about our day-to-day lives and adventures!

Hormonal
    Thanks

look for a club ..its the only way to get good stock if u want good colour and size

i have just acquired a handsome opaline violet cockbird..a young baby from a australian judge...size was a problem..hes glorious in my eyes and will only be a pet for my kid budgie community but his colour is amazing
    i also got a violet recessive pied hen ...her colour is so vibrant and yet she is only 6 and a half weeks old now

from another breeder..another judge.. i scored her rejects too..on the basis of size again but they are still big beautiful birds by pet standards

from her i got four cock birds...a yellow faced mauve to die for
    a yellow face grey ,
    an opaline grey and a cinnamonwing grey
    they all have beautiful natures and when theyre out of quarantine they will join my flock on the indoor tree and have a wonderful time being pets to all the kids in the local budgie community i have the pleasure of knowing!
    good lcuk in ur search ...google away and once u find someone from a club they will give u lots of contacts and then u willl see the doors open for u as they did for me!

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Wow, Sweetytweety, your birds sound absolutely gorgeous!

Hormonal
    Thanks

Elaine thanks..they are..theyre plump and healthy and still like to sleep like seal pups all on top of each other at times
    we had them out for their first social time on the mat yesterday and it was like being at a camp fire ,,,mesmerising! they were playing and chewing on some callistemon branches we picked off the ground after a big windy day ...
    they are so funny with their antics and because theyre so much bigger than ur average petshop budgie theres more head to caress...not that i dont like little budgies but the exhibition ones are just bigger and easier to scratch...
    i have been beyond lucky getting birds like these...

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Ahahahaha, I can see a whole pile of birds sleeping on top of eachother The "Bird Pile".

I think people who breed exhibition budgies also have to breed in hardiness and the only way to do that is larger birds (a sort of afteraffect from breeding to virile budgies). They certainly LOOK more healthy.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Yep.....Gray budgies ROCK!
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Hormonal
    Thanks

ooh JODIE!
    dont u just love the yellow face greys??
    now i have two ...one is mauve and the other grey and at first i had to keep looking at the ring around their foot and number 18 was the mauve one
    its cheek patches arepurple and yellow face grey has blue but i still have to look very closely
    the mauve hopefully will grow darker ...to be a rich deep shade so the yellow will b stunning..we called him Merlin
    the yellow face grey ..he had a tiny bald patch maybe from his mum or whatever ( its covering over now) so we called him Remington as in the shaving company..steel ...get it..shaving..bald patch lol
    we played with them heaps today and they are the sweetest boys
    the opaline grey is quite fiesty for a cock bird but im sure he will settle ..named him Tashi..after that elf book series
    the cinnamonwing grey is smaller and quieter ..we called him Teddy cos of his soft nature

theyre so big compared to my aussie petshop quality birds and they have welldeveloped spots..especially the opaline..so handsome

ohhhh i so want a yellow face blue..theyre really hard to get but ill wait for a cockbird

now regarding the lifespan..the exhibtion stock isnt hardier..they only live 7years or so but they get aggod start nutritionally from reputable breeders andi just love their grandpa looks!

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Most exhibition stock isn't hardy becuse people breed champions BUT if they never bred and kept winning most likely they would live quite long.

mamajodi- EEEEEEEEEEE!!! Yellow-faced Grey! Ow wow, He's gorgeous!

We love budgies! Brand New Egg SandyAndCheryl's Avatar
    Name
    Sandy and Cheryl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    ...that's not so hard to breed if you can find a violent parent to begin with...
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LMAO

Cheers,
    Sandy.

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Im posting under my mums name and i agree GREY BUDGIES ROCK!!!

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

GORGEOUS picture, Fruitloop! Personally, I like the whitface's more than the yellow faced but the liking is VERY slim becuase ALL grey budgies are beautiful

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kelly
    Thanks

I have a Grey Budgie she's yellow faced with a lot of white on her tummy. Her name is Skye. She lives with her boyfriend Seymour who is yellow with splashes of green. I also have a couple other guys in a separate cage and their names are Rikku( he's your traditional green) and Khimari, (Mauve blue)

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

What about Voilet Mauve's?

I love Yellowface Violets and Greys..they're so cute.

Deep Violet is a budgie with a double violet factor and "blue/purple" is a budgie with one violet factor. They're all so pretty though!
    Last edited by Emery; 01-08-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Aussie + Kiwi + Phoebe
    RIP Amaretto, Bo, Duncan and Captain

Name
    Enid
    Thanks

Gray budgie with yellow head, I thought it was a cockatiel who was in jail when I saw the stripes! Guess that's what they call a 'jail bird.'

Gorgeous birds
    Gosha & Kita

Name
    Angelica
    Thanks

my friend had a lavander color keet, and hold on, i think tiki has the grey factor in him....nvm, its a green and blue factor .. haha

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

I got a grey budgie from a friend..... Their budgie's mated and only one baby servive and it was that one. It was like 7yrs old when I got it so it didn't really have very many years on him left. I placed him with my female budgie to see if maybe... just maybe they would mate and I could get more grey budgies. unfortuantly he was not interested and he died a year and a half later. My sad yet happy story. Well more sad then happy but atleast I can say I seen and used to own a grey budgie. Most people don't get to see that kind of color in a budgie.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sharon
    Thanks

I Love Love Love the violets! I have a beautiful cinnamon opaline violet hen who is just now investigating the nest box, she is paired with a very pale grey cock. She is the largest violet I have ever seen so I am very excited to see what she will produce. I also have 3 grey cocks. Each one is a different shade of grey, from very dark to very light. One is a medium grey cinnamon, he is paired with an albino hen and they just hatched thier second baby. This is their first clutch. I don't have a hen for the darkest grey. I had him with a yellow face grey hen, but sadly she passed away. All of my others are already paired up so I'll have to find him someone. Good luck on your search! Bugdies are so much fun to breed and raise.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ross
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    Grey budgies are the most beautiful!! I'm dying to get my hands on one. By purple are you meaning violet? Cause that's not so hard to breed if you can find a violent parent to begin with. I have 3 violet's from a pair: violet opaline hen x skyblue spangle cock. They had a total of 10 babies and a violet in every clutch but one.
    I have two baby *greys* up for sale at present, one with a white face the other with a yellow face.
    Good breeding parents.
    I'm based on the Central Coast, just north of Sydney if anyone's after one?
    Cheers
    Ross

Brand New Egg
    Name
    khayyam
    Thanks

i agree. grey budgies are really beautiful. i once bred a white faced slate grey male with a dilute blue female and they got only one baby which was exactly alike with the dad..could hardly tell them apart..oh yeh cud someone tell me how u got the yellow faced grey.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

a few years ago i had 6 chicks all gray with white faces ...i couldnt sell them i had to give them to a pet shop ...it took the shop about 5 months to sell them ...i dont breed grays any more ...i tend to stick to my lutinos and albinos ...greens and blues ...i only let them breed to keep them happy ...i dont keep many chicks as i dont wont to many birds ...iv only got a 8ftx6ft aviary ..