Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Night Terrors

Thanks

Night Terrors

As a petsitter, I sometimes have to care for cockatiels that occasionally experience night terrors. I am interested in finding out how many 'tiel owners here have birds that go through these and how you handle the night terrors. Do you think it is a behaviour more prevalent among singlely kept 'tiels as opposed to ones that have a buddy or kept in a flock situation? I am wondering if it is a captive phenomenon associated with cockatiels kept alone rather than ones kept as more than one...just a theory.

Name
    Jourdy
    Thanks

Re: Night Terrors

Hmm.. I have a single cockatiel, around 6 -7 weeks of age. She never had any kind of night fright, and it can sometimes get pretty noisy here during the middle of the night (due to many trucks passing along our street as a temporary detour).

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

I have 1 tiel. He occasionally has one. It happens in the middle of the night and I hear him thrashing around. I always come up to the cage talking softly and uncover him. We always have a soft light for him. When he did it last weekend I discovered the next morning in full light that he had brokien a blood feather. There were a few drops of blood on the newspaper. The feather came out all by itself later that day. It is always a scary thing. Never had one with my budgies. Seems to be a tiel thing.

Sue
    1 tiel Buddy
    2 budgies Zipper and Sunny
    1 cat - Boots
    2 dogs - Brownie and Sweetie Pie
    1 brown head parrot Paulie
    1 blue quaker named Bonnie

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Our tiel only had one when there was an earthquake in the night. I think that some mutations are more prone to them than others. A lot of people leave a nite-lite on and don't cover the cage all the way for their tiels.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Dave
    Thanks

In the last year and a half, Shadow's only had one. I'm uncertain of the cause of it, and she suffered no injuries.

rescue ranger Egg's Cracking... Alasea's Avatar
    Name
    ashley
    Thanks

I have a flock of 5 cockatiels and one foster GCC and only one of the cockatiels has night-frights. Her name is Mila and I believe she's about two years old. I don't know what it is that triggers them, but about every other night she has an awful night fright. She usually seems to get more scared if I cover her cage, regardless if there is a night-light or not. I'm a light sleeper, so I'm usually able to wake myself up when I hear her start hissing. Sometimes she calms back down after hearing me talk to her and goes to sleep, other times she starts thrashing around her cage. If she jumps around, I immediately get up, turn the light on and take her out, all while talking to her in a steady voice. This week she had a really bad one and broke open the skin between her nares before I could get her calmed down.

I've put her in many different situations and tried many tecnhiques with her and nothing seems to work. None of the other birds have the frights unless there's an earthquake. Ugh...There was a small one last month and I had 5 birds flipping out all at the same time. Three bruised wings, one scraped foot and thirteen broken feathers resulted from that one >_< Everyone's doing good now though.

I guess with Mila's night-frights that it's just something we'll have to deal with... but I'm willing to because her company more than makes up for it.

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

We have 3 cockatiels, 1 budgie, and 1 nanday conure.

Our nanday has never had a night fright since we've had him the last year. He is kept in the living room by himself.

Peaches sleeps in our room covered up. If she has a night fright (very infrequently!), I get up as fast as I can, turn on the light and uncover her. When she has calmed down, I take her out of the cage and make sure she is okay. I have taken out before she is calmed down and she has flown into walls and things so I now wait until she is calm.

For quite a long time we had 3 budgies and Tori the cockatiel in the same room together (now it is 2 cockatiels, Murphy and Tori, and 1 budgie) and they all have night frights at the same time. If one gets startled, they all do. I run into the other room and turn on the light and help anyone back to the cage that needs it. Murphy is locked up but Tori and Cheese aren't and the other budgies never were so if they start flying around sometimes they fall behind the computer or something like that. Then we usually leave something other than their usual nightlight on for the rest of the night.

They tend to happen when something out of the ordinary is going on, like if we have company or something. Peaches has had them a couple of times at my parent's house where she is not as used to her surroundings.

But in my experience, yes it is happens with multiple birds and not just with tiels, but with budgies too.

Hormonal
    Thanks

oh lol....oh dear...mine just had one now...
    the room is in darkness and the pc is on ...and they are covered and it startled me soooooo!

but..ive read that some dont like to be covered ..others doo..i jsut leave a bit of light on ...so i dont know why this one just had a scare...

nightmares probably lol lol...eating too close to bedtime.\?? lol

what can u do? give em a padded cell? its behaviour i cant fathom...
    so far i have had no injuries

my tiels hated hated being covered initiallycos i think their breeder didnt cover them.who knows..but now they tolerate being covered very well...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anna
    Thanks

well, my three birds always had night frights and thats why i always had to move them to the bathroom every night. But my birds were not cockatiels they were parakeets.why is that?

Wicked Witch Egg's Cracking... Maya's Avatar
    Name
    Maya
    Thanks

Sparrow is prone to night frights if I cover his cage completely, so I leave one side uncovered, and I leave a light on for him. Despite that, he might have one from time to time (rarely, thank lord!) But Jack hasn't had any since I have him.
    ~ Maya ~

Thanks

The best way to prevent night frights is to get a night light for your tiel. Something in the middle of the night spooks a tiel and it is two dark in the cage for them to check things out and feel safe. So they panic! Hence the spastic responses that can sometimes result in injury. Best thing to do is to have a night light or something that puts just enough light in the cage for your tiel to move around and calm themselves down if spooked. If they get spooked they will simply look around and see that nothing is attacking them and go back to sleep.

Below is a link to an article on the matter.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...ghtfrights.php
    Merlyn - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure

Skyler - Pacific Blue Parrotlet

Zoey - Black Capped Conure

Name
    Sabrina
    Thanks

cockatiels have been known to have nightmares.... i have a mating pair and the male had a nightmare and fell off his perch and in the process somehow got his tailfeather caught and screamed bloody murder cuz it came out and bled.... sometimes they just get insecure when you arent around and something can all of a sudden scare them... my best friend's cockatiel was dead asleep and then all of a sudden fell off the perch and screamed. he did it like 3 times that night and then not at all for the rest of the week... thats just my two cents for you. have a good night.

Hormonal
    Thanks

hmm ... dreams ..bad ones u reckon?
    dont know\ my birds sleep with a bit of light on..their cages have covers that dont go right down to the bottom

they are never alone ( unless one is sick and no sick bird has had a night terror as far as i know)

so it cant be just the light issue

nightmares...maybe they are reliving the time i mutilated their wings with my scissors and took away their freedom and gave them corny names ...

thats a recipe for nightmares for life

my poor birdies ..sigh...

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

I've only experienced two semi night-frights with my two tiels.

The first time it happened, I was not at home, and they must have heard a rat (we had a little rat at that time roaming about and nothing we did seemed to get rid of him... We are positive he caused the deaths of 7 of our budgies outside... and we tried everything, including poison -- which I hated... Eventually he died and everything went back to normal. I hope it never happens again -- it was a really bad time, and I lived in constant fear of seeing another birdie on the floor...)

My dp told me that there were feathers lying all over the place the next morning, but they were molting at the time, so I was not unduly concerned.

When I returned the next day, Squeaks' wings looked terrible and there were blood all over the cage, the wall which it stands against, and the curtains -- she must have bled badly, and I got such a huge fright when I saw her. Everything was then back to normal of course (my partner hasn't noticed any of the blood until I showed it to him!), but I took both of them in to the vet, and it turned out that Squeaks was fine (even though she looked horrible) but Spooks had a fractured left shoulder. Poor babies.

And a couple of months ago, my dp went into their "bedroom" about 4am to get a book, and they heard him and started to flutter, and he opened them up and calmed them down. Of course, he got such a fright that he woke me up and I took care of the little ones for a while after that.

I know the budgies outside get frights about once a month in the night and we therefore have a permanent light in their aviary -- that doesn't always help, though, so when I hear them flutter, I put on the outside light as well, and sit on the grass next to their cage and talk to them until they're all back on their perches and have closed eyes and puffy cheeks -- can be up to 30 minutes sometimes!

I think it's mostly supportive actions we can take, as we cannot always prevent these frights.
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Huckleberry Brand New Egg huckleberry's Avatar
    Name
    Beth
    Thanks

Hucky had night frights when I first started covering his cage with a dark towel. I changed to a white towel, however I only cover the back and two sides. I leave the front completely uncovered and have a night light very close to his cage. He has seen a night fright since, however he is really good about sleeping during the night. I guess every tiel is different but this has really helped him. I know he also gets very startled if my husband or I get up in the middle of the night and don't turn another light on before walking through the room. I know tiels don't have very good night vision so they are startled very easily.