Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Considering a Hahns macaw

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Considering a Hahns macaw

Well,we have decided to save for a Hahns macaw.I have been researching to find our next flock mate.A Hahns sounds perfect for our family.I found a breeder in Atlantic canada! She is so nice & helpful. The baby will be $900 DNA tested,well bird vet exam included! Not bad for here. So in the next year or 2 we may get one. And get this....hubby said ok!!! I darn near fainted!I have to do more research to so we are moving slowly...want to make the right decision

Anyone with any Hahns experience?Do you think they are to noisy for an apartment?I don't mind noise...but the neighbors might.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: Considering a Hahns macaw

I love Hahns!!! If my breeder came through on time, I would have had one instead of Loki but of course I am very happy with her. Hahns don't have that piercing high pitch scream so it's not too bad on the ears. They can be loud but it's deep and not all day. They can amuse themselves in their cage and come out to play and be adorable when out.

I was going to pay $800 so that's within the right range. Mine didn't include sexing so that may be one reason.

The Hahns I've been with have all been great. Not a mean one in the (small) bunch. Very inquisitive, smart and cheeky. i say go for it!

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

They'll be noisy if they want your attention. It can be ear-splitting. But they're also very smart, and I can tell my girl "Don't you dare scream, lady. I will be right back," sternly, and she listens. Nap time during the day keeps her quieter, too. She just gets cranky, like any other little girl.

She's just a darling and I can't imagine this house without her! "Hello!" she says to the pizza man. "Wha-at?" she says in my ear when she's nibbled too hard -- yes, she nibbles ear lobes. She loves to learn words for whatever she sees and she is not ashamed to interact with any bird or person.

Get ready to keep a splash-proof four foot radius around your new baby's cage: man do they love baths! I have to clap for her while she takes it, like "Oh, look at that bird! She's gonna- she's- you mean, that bird is going to take a bath- ?!?" Then and only then will she splash splash splash. Hooray. You'll never regret it.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Hmm...ear splitting may be to loud for here.Oh well,maybe I need to keep looking.I could not get a bird much louder than Merlin.He lets go a few times a day,but it is not that loud.
    If I get a chance I will visit the breeder and hope to hear how loud a Hahns is.I think they are so nice.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

I wouldn't turn my back on the Hahns. I can't imagine that they're louder than a green cheek. They definitely don't sound like suns or patagonians, and from what I've heard other people say, I'm just complaining too much. Besides, there's something so special and straightforward about a Hahns -- like I ordered a pizza yesterday. I realized that Penelope was on my shoulder when I answered the door. She looked at me like 'may I mother?' and then exclaimed "Hello!"

You simply must find one to spend time before my silly old mouth dissuades you. You'll see why you could never live without yours. I even take naps with her. She just curls right up like a good girl and nibbles on my ear.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

LOL.....thanks Erica. Actually Merlin is a maroon belled conure,and he is even quieter than the GCC's I have met.Someone on another board said her hahns could be heard down the block!! Her's is older,so maybe Hahns get louder at some point.Anyway,I have a year or so to decide Thanks for you thoughts.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Merlin is darling! I have heard of maroon bellied Conures and until now I have never seen one.

They go through loud periods, like kids. Mine were loud as infants. She's a carry-on bird -- I love to take her everywhere! She's pleased as punch and always very well-behaved if there's showing off to do. I was going to take her to a democratic fundraiser, a black tie affair, but thought it would be pushing the envelope: I imagined her in the serve-yourself hors d'oeuvres line -- yeah, really; vote for that guy -- making the "stretch-and-bite" step from my shoulder onto a $2,000 suit jacket: pooping, biting a hole in the collar and cackling "Ha ha ha ha haaaaa!" at the owner.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

.......that would be priceless!!

~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin Stephens
    Thanks

Hello, we have a three yr old Hahns Macaw, her name is Holly when we got her she was only 11 1/2 weeks old, we got her in the November of 2003 and before Christmas that year she was already talking. However there are a few things to think about, they can be just as noisey as a big Macaw,ours is going through a shouting stage at the moment, but this seems to be lessening, I have to say though that all in all she is a beatiful bird cheeky, funny, clever, very entertaining & in her own way very loving & forgiving. They will talk great but only if you have the time to teach them, Hahns love being around on & on you playing ect, you just have to be preparded to put up with some noise. One last thing you should also go and see the birds in the avery to get an idea of what the parents are like.

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Smile Re: Considering a Hahns macaw

Quote Originally Posted by tazdevil View Post
    ... I have to say though that all in all she is a beatiful bird cheeky, funny, clever, very entertaining & in her own way very loving & forgiving.
    That part of what you wrote touched me -- aren't they just so tolerant? They're real Saints. I grasp Lello with my thumb under her chin and my fingers around the back of her neck, and her torso cupped in my other hand, and I kiss her on the belly while she SCREAMS -- OMG, she squirms and pretends to bite -- but she loves the attention! She just eats it up! I wish you and I both had video cameras so we could share!

I know what you mean about the noise. A few posts back, on here, I would tell people considering any bird: "Be careful. They say that about all species. I expected our Hahns to be quiet!" Now she's just a little more vocal than our Greys. When she does get fussy, I give her a 1/2 hour covered nap, and she's right back to precious. I wonder if they nap in the wild.

Lello is HUNGRY for words, though. She tells you to teach her, and woe be to those who don't. She will bite your earlobe and hang from the part of your body closest to her thing of interest, and stretch, and BOB up and down, hard, "Aaaahhh! Aaaaaah!!" until you tell her. Oh, and does yours do this too? When something excites her and she can't say it, she JERKS her head up and down with big, wide eyes and exclaims some gibberish like "Ohahh!" No meal is safe. She can make it there. She is on your plate with a face covered in three cheese tortellini in seconds.

I'm calling for Operation Hahns Macaw 2006: we are all getting video cameras! We could create an internet dynasty of cuteness!

Remove Ads