Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Completely bald head!!

Alright, so I am so sad for these birds! I went into a pet store today, because I needed to get food for my brothers cockatiel and it was the only one open. Anyway I followed the chirping thinking birds = bird supplies. So I come around the corner and sure enought, there everything was, including things I never want to see again. There sitting in a cage Was an luntino and normal gray tiel. The gray had its entire head plucked bald and the albino's feathers were in rough rough shape. The grays feathers seemed to be coming back in but it looked like he would have some permanent bald spots. What do you guys think this bird will grow the feathers back?

On to the lutino. It was a beautiful bird, but the tail feathers were all roughed up. Probably because they had 2 perches meant for budgies and the ground with hampster bedding. Anyway it had a broke flight feather. It wasn't a blood feather, but it was causing the bird some distress because it couldn't put its wing down at times. I begged my dad to buy one at least just to get them out of the place but I dont have the money to buy one. I know I have the money to support one though. I just wanted to take the Gray one home and help him. I left my name and number for them to call me if they cant sell the birds, because around here if they are not sold in close to a year they get put down. I wish I had the money for it!

Queen of the World Chick baaaad_kitty's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Thanks

Re: Completely bald head!!

that is so awful! i don't know about feathers and growing them back but i'm sure the others here do. i hope you get the bird. good luck!

Hormonal
    Thanks

unless there is a specific disease related to feathers the bald patches should grow back
    one of my tiels has a tiny patch of baldness but hes got pinfeathers poking thru already ..so whatever happened in the week that i was away ..i think hell be fully feathered soon
    hope the birdies find a home soon
    ur a kind person to want to help them ..good on u !!

My room is an aviary Chick Flight's Avatar
    Name
    Kaitee
    Thanks

I've been in this exact situation before when I went to a pet store. I absolutely hate them now...

I bought a cockatiel from there. All I can say is he died. He was the sweetest thing. I had my Britsie boy for 18 days. He was tame too.
    - Kaitee
    - John McClane (lutino cockatiel) and Holly McClane (pied cockatiel)

Thanks

Well Ive been in this pet store before, but they renovated it... and yes with all the animals still there... probably inhaling all the dust and that. But I mean I was there about 3 months ago... there were 5 tiels in the cage and they all were healthy and happy. But I did notice they did pick on each other. They claimed they didn't know which one was causing the problems so they didn't know which one to take out. I litterally said "You sell cages, Im sure you have enough to seperate them all! What's 5 cages?" Its funny though, cause they had large tiel cages for about 50 dollars because they over stocked... Apperantly they just had a 4 year old cockatoo put down because they couldn't sell a bird that large and because it was getting to be a bad bird. It was first off way over priced, and secondly... its feathers were so messed up and the Too became kind of mean because the cage it was in, if it was standing on the FLOOR is head touched THE TOP. Thats like sticking a human in a casket and telling them to be nice to everyone who passed and tried to poke and that.

But they make all health regulations and that. But just barely.

Hatching
    Name
    Michel
    Thanks

Ugh that's just sick....I'm sorry you had to see that, the worst part is hun, and it HURTS to know this, if you save that lil one from them, they will just get another, and another. Sometimes I almost wonder if they do it purposely to pull peoples heartstrings so they feel guilty about NOT buying from petstores... it's a money cycle with the birds at stake, and there really isn't a way to stop them. Most first time bird owners don't understand why not to buy from those places, and they certianly don't tell them.

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society
    I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal.
    And I was Angry.
    "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"
    God was silent for a moment and the He spoke softly.
    "I have done something," He replied.
    "I created You."