Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP: First day with finches - one maybe sick?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

HELP: First day with finches - one maybe sick?

I got my pair of (2 male) zebra finches today from the pet store. They were really nervous in the car ride, and didn't make a peep after arriving in their new cage for the first couple of hours. However, when I play sound clips of other zebra finches, they responded back enthusiastically!

I'm a little worried about one of them. Both slept for most of the afternoon, but that could be because they didn''t follow the natural daylight hours at the pet store. However, one of them slept with a bobbing motion whereas the other one didn't. I did some research and tried to listen for the "clicking" sound but didn't hear any. Also, they are now awake from their nap and extremely active and vocal, and neither show any laborious breathing or bobbing when they are playing. Do you think bobbing while sleeping means that my zebra is definitely sick? Could he be "dreaming?" If he's sick, is there a way I can treat him at home? I already turned up the heat (to 72F) and kept a humidifier by them. I don't think it's necessary for me to separate them because they came from the same cage.

Please help! Any information will be very appreciated. I don't want to return the sick one to the pet store because I'm already attached to both.

Thanks

Re: HELP: First day with finches - one maybe sick?

Give it another day or so. Most birds take a little bit to settle in. If the bobbing and puffind up continues, then it is a problem.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks Finch! I really hope they are just adjusting. They've both gone through a lot today. At the petstore, one escaped when the sales lady opened the cage. And the poor thing kept flying into the window. It took us over 5 minutes to catch him with a net. Then at their new cage, my cat sneaked into the room and jumped up by the cage, causing a huge fright. Don't worry, I'll never let the cat in the room unless closely supervised. To my surprise, my dog totally ignored the birds, but went crazy for the commercial "egg food" instead!

I'll continue to watch out for the bobbing. It's visible when the bird is at rest or sleeping. And he's not as active as the other one, although I think the other one was on the hyperactive side even for a finch! (I don't have names for them yet, but hopefully soon).

A quick question for finch owners. I have 2 males, if I buy them a nest, will they share one? I know they don't need a nest, but I think it'll look so cute and be more comfortable for them.

Hormonal
    Thanks

yeah some of my flock were unsettled when i got them ..took a couple of days to de stress
    one of my tiels had sloppy droppings and i was so worried but i monitored him closely and he was fine..just like the breeder said

but if its not settling after 48 hours call the vet and talk to the store

Name
    Yoriko
    Thanks

Congratulations (& Happy B-day!) on adding new family members!!

Poor those little guys, sounds like they went through a lot in one day. Zebra finches are pretty sensitive & cautious. I hope you give them a safe environment that they can settle in comfortably. Birds can get heartattack by shock. When there was a huge earthquake in Japan, this guy's pet bird was so shocked that he died in his hand. Sad....

About the nest, I think they will share one (zebra finches are okay w/o it, but they love the nest). But they'll poop inside so you need to clean it often.

Remove Ads