Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canary in house fire

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Canary in house fire

I hate to start my first post to the board like this, but I need ideas. Monday night we had a fire in the house contained to the attic. Unfortunately the house filled with smoke. I got everyone out and have spoken to my vet. (I did get everyone out in 3 minutes) He said to watch for the same signs as a human. Coughing, sneezing, etc. I haven't seen any of these except in me. (I'm being treated for smoke inhalation) My canary is an old man of 14 years. He is not doing well. He is eating and drinking, but some of the time he is puffed up sleeping, other times he is 'whinning'. (What I call little cheeps, kind of like distress calls, but a bit different) The cleaning crew has been here all week adding more stress for the animals. He fell off his perch at one point and twitched a little which made me think he may be having a stroke, but recovered himself quickly. I just have a gut feeling I'm loosing my old guy. I've tried to move him to different rooms as the cleaners came through the house, but that seems to upset him more. It won't get better for a while as the repair work has not been started. Although most of the work will be in the attic and he won't 'see' strangers, there will be noise over head. Any ides on how to help keep his stress level down? Poor little guy. This is not how I wanted his golden years to be. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Michele Hurd
    "The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk?
    but, can they suffer?"-Jeremy Bentham
    http://mshurd.50megs.com/ (home page)
    http://www.elar.org (Elizabeth Lake Animal Rescue)

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Canary in house fire

Michele, I am so sorry about your fire and glad everyone was spared. Could you cover your bird and put him in the quietess room? It is good that you spoke to your vet, please keep an eye on your little guy for us and .....
    Please keep us posted!
    Last edited by Pootspete; 10-29-2006 at 03:34 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Thank you. I have never covered my birds. Would it be stressful for him to be covered and hear nosies he can't 'see', or would covering him make him feel safer? This is so new for me. I have a quiet home (just me) and usually animals settle right in and stay calm. I will try to cover him on Monday when the workers come to remove the insulation in the attic. He is such a funny guy. When I change his food and water, he jumps onto the dish with his wings spread, threatening me. I always laugh as I have no idea what he thinks he can do at his size. I kept talking to him when he was so upset and it broke my heart. That pathetic quiet cheeping that sounded like "I'm so scared." I just didn't know what to do to help him. I know he is old....I just don't want him to die scared.
    Michele Hurd

For the Love of all Birds Hatched! pitufina73's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

Hi MIchelle, your bird is gonna do ok, he needs more time to heal, just like us.
    i hope your house is not that damaged and it can repaired soon, my uncle had the same fire, it started in the attic and no one knows how it started.
    Visit my work's website!
    http://www.amazinglabels.com

For the Love of all Birds Hatched! pitufina73's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

Hey MIchelle, i just saw your website and what a great job do you in rehab turtles! amazing and sad at the same time, poor turtles being hit by cars, it broke my heart!

i have a short story to tell about turtles, on my way to work close to ft lauderdale airport i found a huge turtle trying to get somewhere, i was driving in a main avenue, there was a lot of traffic suddenly i spotted something in the middle i made a u-turn and rescue that turtle, boy, he was heavy and big! people beeping horns at me cause i stopped in the middle during rush hour! i put the turtle in my car in the front seat, and took it to work where there is a water lake and slowly he walked away went into the water! wow what a rescue ! i love turtles they are sweet creatures! good job in rescuing (sp?) them!
    Visit my work's website!
    http://www.amazinglabels.com

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I am very sorry to hear about the fire. I am glad it was contained but it still doesn't make it much easier.

I wouldn't cover the whole cage; then he will get confused since birds normally just go to sleep when it's dark. I would cover half the cage so it allows him some "privacy" when he feels stressed and then cover the whole cage only at night.

You can also put a heat lamp above him or next to him on one side ; only on one side because if he gets too hot he can escape the heat. One of the biggest energy stealers in any animal is keeping warm and if they are sstressed they may overextend their energy to try and keep warm.

Otherwise, make sure that his fave toys and food (like millet) are in there so that he is getting special treatment during this awful time.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Very good info Lisa.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the ideas and input. I will cover him partially when I leave for work in the morning. He has a light on the side of the cage since Friday's falling off the perch incident. I guess with everything that happened, I am just plain scared to leave Monday morning. I have been home all week with the cleaning crew, but I can't take much more time off without risking my job. He will probably be fine. I'm just paranoid right now, as I know small birds and too much stress are not a good thing. Throw in his age and it's just scary. Thanks again.
    Michele Hurd

Name
    Yoriko
    Thanks

Mshurd, you're such a kind and sweet person! I admire your dedication to yr animals. They're so lucky that they're taken care of by a warm hearted person like you!

I also cover a part of cage w/ a towel. My birds seem to feel safer that way. I also leave classical music on sometimes for them when I'm out. They like the music & sing songs more beautifully.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Thank you. Like everyone else's pets, they are family. He is doing much better today. I covered most of cage today and turned the radio up a bit more then normal. I figured that way nobody would startle as easily by any banging in the attic with the crew up there today. Everyone seemed relaxed enough, and if anything did scare them, they were long over it by the time I got home. I always leave the radio on a classical or Christian station (I have an Amazon and don't ned her learning 'bad' words) so it's not totally quiet in the house.
    Michele Hurd

Hormonal
    Thanks

wow Michele..what a story

its the pits...our poor defenseless animals!
    but u are doing all u can arent u...
    i know the heavy weight of responsibility we feel when something like this happens even tho its no ones fault...
    please keep us posted

Name
    Joey
    Thanks

I'm so sorry 14 years is a long time...I know how you feel I was in a house fire as well. My cocker spaniel was only 5 months old his paws were burned off and he was in so much pain walking we had to put him down poor thing....

www.freewebs.com/feathersupaviary280

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

How is the whole family (human and otherwise) doing? I hope things are progressing and you will be able to put this behind you soon.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Everyone is doing well. My voice comes and goes, but at least I'm getting it back little by little. Fritz, my canary seems to be doing good. Not puffed up any more and still eating and drinking normal. Mary, my Amazon, has stopped saying "It ok, you awright". I must have said that alot the day after the fire. She said it non-stop for 3 days. I just kept telling her "Yes, we're alright". I didn't know if she was trying to comfort herself or me! LOL! The work is at a stand still until the heating and cooling contractor gets out here, which I hope will be soon. I really appreciate all the advise and support. I also found out that my crew all fit just fine in the van, which I bought last year just in case we needed to leave. (I live in Florida)
    Michele Hurd

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

that's so sweet about your amazon. Glad to hear that you are all recovering well.