Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

Constant Screaming!!! What Should I do?

Okay I know I was in for som screams from my cockatiels before I bought them... I mean seriously if I can handle a cockatoo's scream I could handle Cockatiels but know one of my Tiels will not stop until he goes to sleep.

Kigh my Cinnamon Tiel is on a serious Screaming fest... He Screams the same way all day. Every once in a while he will whistle when I whistle to him but from 6:30 in the morning to 9:00 at night all he does is scream. At first I just thought it was him trying to get Kitt's attenchion but then I seemed to realize that whn Kitt gave Kigh attenchion he just become more of a screamer. I know it is in the birds Nature but Seriously he was quite for 3 months and my other baerly speacks....

Is this a problem w/ my tiel and is there a way to fix it?

100% Bird-A-Holic Moulting Belinda's Avatar
    Name
    Belinda
    Thanks

Re: Constant Screaming!!! What Should I do?

Cookie was like that too - screaming all the time! It's gotten better now (not completely gone) since i stopped paying her any attention when she was screaming. It's difficult but i believe that's the way to go. Just ignore it.

Visit Busy Beaks Blog to read about our day-to-day lives and adventures!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

Trust I have been trying that... a friend of mine says he is trying to court the other tiel but his intrest is not in that manner.

Thanks

I know my tiels will scream all day if they dont get enough sleep. If they get about 10 hours of sleep then they are fine. Anything less, they yell.

Hormonal
    Thanks

gosh thats worriesome cos my tiels dont scream
    so im kinda getting the feeling they may start....
    and noise is something im not looking forward to lol
    ill put up with it but i was told tiels are nothing like the big parrots so thats why we got them

100% Bird-A-Holic Moulting Belinda's Avatar
    Name
    Belinda
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCockatiel View Post
    I know my tiels will scream all day if they dont get enough sleep. If they get about 10 hours of sleep then they are fine. Anything less, they yell.
    You know just last night it crossed my mind that Cookie might just be grouchy as i never covered her at night meaning she wouldn't get enough sleep! Last night i covered her for the first time from 9:30pm to almost 8:30am and i swear she's not screamed as much today!!

Visit Busy Beaks Blog to read about our day-to-day lives and adventures!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

Well lets put it ths way.. I go to bed at 10:00 p.m. but my room is usually dark by 8:00p.m. and I wake up at 5:30p.m. but I am only in my room for like 5 mins. So the should be getting atleast 10-14 hrs of sleep. Well I would hink unless they don't sleep because they can hear us some time... Maybe I will see if I can change that today.

It never hurts to try.... Well sertain things anyways.

Name
    Yevgeniya
    Thanks

Tali screams sometimes too it usually helps if I take him out to let him fly a bit or for a bit of scratches.

Thanks

^ that works too.

If they really yelling then i let them out, fly around so they get tired then put them back. All is peaceful then.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    hades
    Thanks

Hi all,

Booboo has settled in nicely, and the screaming is a bit of an issue in my house too. He just goes WEEEEK WEEEEEEK WEEEEEEK! He screams his head off all day. But once i let him out for a while and back he shuts up. I know it sounds like I am giving in to him but it's hard not to do that when he screams all day! I can't bear to see him shut in all day so I have to let him out. He usually shuts up for a good while.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

My Biggest problem with letting my birds out period is my dog... She can open lock doors and if she can't she will dedstroy stuff while trying so.... Kigh always makes a serius of scream clicks though... It is usually the same pattern in a row or sometimes a little bit diffrent. I take him out for a while let him sit on my shoulder and and scratch his head but when I put him back in 5 minutes later he i back at... BUT I STILL LOVE HIM.

It will take alot more than that Kigh to get rid of me... hehe

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

Hi David,
    I'd say lil Kigh might feel a bit couped up... Usually they need to be able to get out of the cage at least some 3 hours every day.

Mine can usually roam freely (if they wish) for at least an hour in the mornings - depending on whether I have to work or not - and then 3-4 hours in the afternoon when I get back from work.

Sometimes it doesn't work out like that, but usually they have quite a bit of free time, and even if they just sit in the cage, they still CAN get out if they wish.

Perhaps you should try having lil Kigh out a bit more. He's probably just frustrated and have pent-up energy that he tries to get rid of by screeming. He might also be trying to tell you that he'd like to be more with you outside the cage.

What do you think?

Can you not go to a seperate room with Kigh and Kitt when you let them out, away from your dog? Perhaps, when she's sleeping you can let the two birdies out?

Just a few suggestions... let us know what happens!
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

I Found out the Problem.... Oh yes I DID!!! He has been screaming and actng the way he does because he want's to mate and I found them in heat of the moment... It was a little funny but my personaliy is a little immature anyways. So maybe I will have little babies because once I found them doing the hanky panky I noticed when it was all done he has become more quite but they keep doing their thing... I hope I get some babies... That would be extreamly Nice Wouldn't it?

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Better read up and make sure you are ready for babies - they can be a lot of heartbreaking work. There are threads on here about babies and how nervewracking they can be - say a parent dies, or plucks the babies, or just doesn't "get it" about how to be a parent. And your birds are young, right? They will be less likely than older birds to make good parents, just because of their age.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    David
    Thanks

Well I am not sure on how old they are... Out of all the questions I asked before I bought them, that was the one question I forgot to ask and the breeder's I bought them from have moved and I can't seem to get in contact with... I know there is a possibility of those problems, but I am praying and hoping that those problems don't occur. "Please Please God I don' want these Problems to happen"!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    susan
    Thanks

I am new to this forum but I have a teil that screams very loud, he wount come out of the cage and noone can touch him. He seems to be unsure of flying so he is afraid to come out of the cage. I just bought him a play gym to try to entice him to come out but no luck yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Try enticing him with some millet. Cockatiels just loooove millet How long have you had him? Tiels take time, especially if never handled before. When he screams, don't pay any attention to him. When he's quiet, sit by his cage and talk to him. Put his cage near a high traffic area, such as the living room. Watch TV next to his cage, read next to his cage, just get him used to you Best of luck!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    susan
    Thanks

I got my teil in November of 2006 after my other teil got out and flew away. I was heartbroken cause he was like my child and we had a special bond.I got Sparky from PetSmart and He was a handfed teil so I figured he was used to being held but, I was wrong.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

hope all goes well with the screaming!! Sometimes I think that happens with the pet stores, i think they just tell you that they are hand fed so people will buy them!