Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making A Shower Perch?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Making A Shower Perch?

Usea stand if you can't figure out how to stick the perch on. If you can't make one, can't you use a perch and just hold it while your bird is showering?

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

The store bought ones are okay... not great. They do hold pretty well but if the walls have ANY holes, it won't hold. Mine slipped a bit when it was wet and was on the grout line and fell off. Lucky Loki wasn't soaked or else she would have fallen like a rock. Also, the nails are starting to rust... If it gets really bad, I think I will exchange it for a new one claiming product malfunction as they should be SS.

As for making one, I would just use the same design as the store-bought ones but using larger suctions cups and more of them.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Beeks

Actually, I think I will get another shower curtain rod and just place it off center if I'm in with her and dead center if I am not. Right now I just hold her while I'm showering, but my arm gets tired quickly before she is through having fun and I end up putting her up on the existing shower rod while I finish up. It's held her so far so it just might work. I'm really not very handy when it comes to making things except messes. I just want her to be able to shower until her heart is content and not just until my arm is burning.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Take a look at this one on eBay, item number 170076809577 , think you could make something like this with a longer top perch.

You could also do the one with suction cups one one side of perch and hang off the shower bar on the other side.

Also, you could alway hang something from the ceiling or tie to ceiling for support.

Loves the shower now and would not want something to happen to make it afraid of the shower. Would worry with a bird that size and with the weight of the water after showering. Sure you arm gets a work out.
    Jane

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beeks View Post
    Actually, I think I will get another shower curtain rod and just place it off center if I'm in with her and dead center if I am not. Right now I just hold her while I'm showering, but my arm gets tired quickly before she is through having fun and I end up putting her up on the existing shower rod while I finish up. It's held her so far so it just might work. I'm really not very handy when it comes to making things except messes. I just want her to be able to shower until her heart is content and not just until my arm is burning.
    Why don't you just go out and pick up one of those tension-rod shower corner units? All you would have to do is mount it in the corner and attach a longer, (stainless steel) screw and washer perch off of it. A vertically-mounted tension-rod will definitely hold a macaw's weight horizontally.
    Tailfeathers Superstar

Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

If your not good at DIY, I would find a suitable floor standing perch and take that in with you. Wet Macaws must be pretty heavy!
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    james
    Thanks

hey everyone whos made one will you post pics of them?plz

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Have done several of them and window perches also.

This is a picture of the window perch I have done. Would work for shower perch as well. The birds here love to look out the windows and have several of these around the house.
    new 014.jpg

This is one that I made and use it where curtains have to be opened and closed. Nice because it will fold back so shades, curtains and so forth can be close. Swings at the T part.
    new 005.jpg

This is a picture of the ones we used to use in the shower. Now have made a different one to go corner to corner.
    new 008.jpg

For the suction cups, drill hole in the cup and the perch, screw them together with a stainless steel screw.
    new 001.jpg

This is one of the ends for you to see.
    new 002.jpg

Hope these pictures help. They are easy to make.
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Name
    MrsP
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JaneJacinto View Post
    Have done several of them and window perches also.

This is a picture of the window perch I have done. Would work for shower perch as well. The birds here love to look out the windows and have several of these around the house.
    new 014.jpg

This is one that I made and use it where curtains have to be opened and closed. Nice because it will fold back so shades, curtains and so forth can be close. Swings at the T part.
    new 005.jpg

This is a picture of the ones we used to use in the shower. Now have made a different one to go corner to corner.
    new 008.jpg

For the suction cups, drill hole in the cup and the perch, screw them together with a stainless steel screw.
    new 001.jpg

This is one of the ends for you to see.
    new 002.jpg

Hope these pictures help. They are easy to make.
    Jane
    Hi JaneJacinto,

Your perches look wonderful! Thanks for posting the pictures. We have a double yellow-head Amazon named Roscoe, who would love one. I am thinking of making a shower perch for him. I had a few questions, please:

1. What is the colorful tape that is wound around the perch? How often does it need to be replaced?
    2. Where do you get the tape?
    3. For drilling the holes in the suction cups and perch, do I drill the same width as the screw or slightly smaller? Is any kind of nut required to hold the screw on the inside?

Cheers,
    MrsP

Brand New Egg
    Name
    MrsP
    Thanks

I was also wondering if anyone had used 3M Command Bath Strips to stick a perch that folds flat to the shower wall?

Or, has anyone attached mounts on either side of the back corner wall with the Command bath strips and then just popped a pvc pipe into the mounts whenever you want to use the perch? (Removing the pvc pipe when perch not in use.)

Remove Ads