where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help with doves

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Help with doves

I have just received an E-mail from a friend of a friend, who is having some problems with her pet doves. I really know nothing about these types of birds, therefore I was hoping that if I posted the problem here, some of you might have some suggestion about this:

I have an elderly male Java Dove, paired with a younger female turtle dove.

They live in a large parrot cage in my living room, (I inherited them). The male is very tame, the female not so.

However, the male had been ripping out the neck, and now shoulder feathers of the female, it is pitiful to see. She was treated for mites, so its not that. They have cuttlefish and minerals, and vitamins, and a flower arrangement to look at. When its warm I take them outside.

Recently I separated them for a few days, but they both appeared to be unhappy with the separation.SO I put them back together.
    My local vet couldnt suggest anything about the behaviour, I wondered whether you could shed any light for me as to what best to do, and also I was thinking about cutting up a baby bootee into a snood to keep her warm.

I hope you are able to give me some insight as to what to do for the best
    Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am thinking that perhaps it is a behavioural problem related to hormonal/mating behaviour, ie, perhaps the male is sexually frustrated? But, I really have no idea about doves, and would really appreciate any input from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks guys!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sharle
    Thanks

Re: Help with doves

Hi Lee-Ann well my experiance from having doves...is that they need to be seperated....but cages next to each other....if the male is plucking her...in some cases....the one plucking will eventually kill the other....something in the atmosphere isnt right...when seperated make sure they can still see each other...with an elderly male im not thinking its a breeding issue....it says in the letter...the female is a turtle dove....and the male is a Java Dove AKA ringneck....two different species of doves cannot breed...that might be the problem...they can be pretty smart..while i was raising doves...i was ALWAYS told NOT to put the two different species together...hope this helps...please keep us posted thanks!
    All Things That Glitter Are Not Gold!

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Thank you Sharle, it is really helpful! I will certainly pass on what you say to her.

For some reason I didn't take in that they were two different breeds, therefore it didn't even occur to me about species/breed mixing. In my head I was picturing a pair of Diamond Doves, as these are the only doves I have seen myself!!

I wonder how long these two birds have been housed together? I will ask...

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

It sounds like he wants to mate with her.

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

I got a bit more history about them:

Romeo had a mate Josephine who died of old age about 7 years ago, and Kalilah had a mate who died in a freak accident. Kalilah is 7 and she and Romeo have been together for 6 years.Romeo was elderly 7 years ago, no idea how old.

This pecking has got worse recently, but started a while back, albeit in a small way. They mate constantly, and lay as well, though no chicks. I tried giving them nest boxes, but as they are in my living/dining room, it got fouled very quickly.I have a smaller parrot cage ,so they can be separated, but it might be a bit lonely for both of them.Romeo tried to mate me when he was on his own. He fights with males, but for a long tim,e these two have been happy.

I am really concerned about how bald she is getting now, particualry its unsigthly, I worry its hurting, and that she may get a chill. I`ll separate them again, but worry that that might be stressful also.
    Any other ideas? I can only think that seperating them would be the best thing, and supervising them at play times when they are out so they are not toally lonely? Or does anyone think that he will peck her worse if he only sees her occassionally?

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

I've seen a lot of plucked hens. Overpreening their women is something that I think, with birds, is like zit-popping is to some people's girlfriends.

Not being able to reproduce can't make them very easygoing, either. Poor things. It sounds like a plucked neck is the better alternative.
    Tailfeathers Superstar

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

I would like to make a side comment regarding the info below.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLovesSully View Post
    it says in the letter...the female is a turtle dove....and the male is a Java Dove AKA ringneck....two different species of doves cannot breed...
    Doves CAN interbreed with other species of doves. Normal Ringneck bred to the morning dove produce quite well. However, the offspring are mules -sterile, not able to reproduce on their own

Just this last October I was selling a bunch of Ringneck doves at the Fort Worth Bird Mart. A girl came by and we started chatting. She had a normal ringneck dove in a large flight pen with her finches and a diamond dove. Those to went to nest and produced chicks. Both had the coloring of the Ringneck dove. They are now a year old. One was the size of the diamond dove the other was larger, but not as large as the ringneck parent. She has not put them tried to see if they are mules or are fertile.

I agree that crossing species is not proper breeding management, IMHO. Doves are a lot less critical than parrot cross breeding.

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

It is true that species interbreed, but genus are often another story, so if your friend deals in doves, she's probably just confused the two taxonomic terms. It's easy to mix them up with pigeons/doves, because they're so similar that you would think they were only separated by species.

I can't pretend to know the degree of genetic difference between a turtle dove and a ringneck dove; but they're technically both turtledoves (the genus streptopelia), so it's likely that those two species may have success interbreeding.

One of those poor babies may just be infertile. Do they have wobbly perches? Because, especially if they're different sizes around, they may have a hard time making the cloacal kiss. This is just so sad.
    Tailfeathers Superstar