Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Unhappy Help! How do I stop my cockatiel from chewing

I have a cockatiel that is 10 months old. I hand raised her from 3 weeks old. She chews on everything and poops everywhere. I love her to pieces but my husband wants to get rid of her because of this what can I do . How do I train her. I have tried training her to "go potty" on a newspaper on top of her cage when I see her squatting and everytime I take her out of the cage and I have tried puting her in her cage whenever she does something wrong but it is not working. She chews on wires, buttons on remotes. Anything rubber, paper, wood, plastic, shoelaces, zippers, toys. Basically anything she can get her beak on. She is out of her cage probably 4 to 5 hours a day. She is my baby. She follows me in the shower anywhere I go. As soon as she sees me she is marching to come out. In her cage she has 3 wooden perches, 1 swing and stairs, a cuttle bone and 3 toys. Her cage is 2 1/2 feet tall by 1 feet wide. I will try anything.

Name
    Andrea
    Thanks

AW: Help! How do I stop my cockatiel from chewing

at TF!

Hehe, thatīs typically cockatiel behaviour.
    I donīt know how to change it, I would say itīs impossible, hehe.
    Tiels are chewers, they chew on everything they get in front of their beaks.
    And itīs your turn to put all things away they should not chew on

My 8 Nymphicus Hollandicus

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Help! How do I stop my cockatiel from chewing

Andrea is right.Parrots chew.They love to chew.The solution is to put things away.And put things out that she can chew.Set up little areas just for her wherever you bring her.A small table top gym,a hanging gym,with toys & treats to keep her busy.Wood(soft wood like balsa is perfect for tiels) satisfies the chewing need and eventually she will learn.
    Also tiels go "potty" often(every 10-15 minutes)...it is pretty hard to train them to go where & when you want.Bigger parrots can be trained easier because they go less often.
    Merlin goes often...so we just put a towel on our laps,or on the furniture,newspaper under his gyms.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 12-03-2006 at 06:37 AM.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Jourdy
    Thanks

My tiels have lots of toys - inside and outside their cages.
    However, they really, really like my books. Once, one of my tiels managed to get inside my bookshelf. When I saw her, I also saw pieces of my hard bound Da Vinci Code, a few bits of my graduation yearbook, and the front page of my book on law torn apart. :P

They really like to chew

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

My tiel's gym is on my desk because I spent a lot of time at my computer. He would much rather get off his gym (which has a preening + chew toy and a shredder toy as well as food on it ) and play with whatever I am using He's ripped up my laptop keys god knows how many times, and receives a time out after each time. I'm hoping one day it clicks Tiels just like to chew and explore, and they are most interested in whatever you are doing. So encourage him to chew good stuff that you want him to chew.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ive noticed lately that my tiel prefers not to poo when she is on me. I think she knows better, and I think it's because whenever I see that look in her eye, I pick hre up and put her above a surface I can clean easily. Ofcourse she can't hold it forever so at times she still does poo on me.

Make sure your remote controls are far away from yoru tiel. I have come to believe the buttons are their most favorite things to chew on.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Put some grapevine wreaths (NO FINISH on them) in and around where she is allowed to be. Mine love to work on these. Sisal rope tied in knots and hung on the cage can be "preened" and they seem to love these too. I know what you mean though, they love to look for wires. Like others said, you just have to keep the wires away. Some tiels like clean thin cardboard to shred. I use white cardboard on my cage floors and my tiels go around shreding the outsides of these in other birds' cages. It looks like it snows in my birdroom every day. Gotta love em'.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dj
    Thanks

my 2 cockatiels chewed my webcam wire in half,lol..And there starting to chew the paneling i have,i live in a trailor..they kept going up my curtains wich i dont mind but they started chewing on my paneling...i have hand fed them since they were babys together..they are 2 peas in a pod..what the 1 does the other 1 is right there if im holding 1 of them..the other 1 gets jealous and wants up on me too they like lift there wings like there holding out there arms saying "Pick me up daddy" hahaha i love them to death though

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

All hook beaks need something they can chew on to keep their beaks in order.
    I have been lucky, but I have only had Tweety for a year.
    Things on the play gym or just the play gym to chew on are a must.
    Those wood Lollipops should be easy to find around the shops in most places.
    As most on here know I still prefer natural items for chewing and eating.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

The most simple way to keep birds from chewing on things they shouldn't is to keep them away from those things!!

Chewing on wires is DANGEROUS, birdproof your trailer ASAP! They should not have access to these things. Keep the cage in an area where they cannot reach things you want to keep intact, and as stated before, leave them lots of things to chew (soft wood toys - my cockatiel liked balsa wood - as well as harder ones like popsicle sticks etc - even cuttlebone).

Other toys may keep them interested enough so that they don't feel the need to chew, as some do it out of boredom. But nevertheless, they need to chew to keep their beak in shape.

Edit: I tried to potty train my cockatiel but it never worked either. IMHO (sorry if this offends) cockatiels, with some exceptions, are not really the brightest crayons in the box...lol. But we love them anyway right?

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

I am in a constant battle to find new and intriguing toys for my flock. I have yet to find their favorites but i know that the two giant vine balls in my parakeets cage are their favorites at the moment.

Name
    di
    Thanks

Sighhh, this thread is 3 years old, people.

8keets Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Mike and Kim
    Thanks

I must have the one cockatiel everyone wants! Cinnamon only chews on the woven straw ribbons in his cage and on toys in his cage. He is out of cage a few hours a day and has not shown any interest in chewing stuff around the house. His door is open often to come and go as he wishes. Weird, huh?

KoolKat

Quote Originally Posted by pawsitively View Post
    I have tried training her to "go potty" on a newspaper on top of her cage when I see her squatting...
    I would love to know how you managed to toilet train her. Rose poops everywhere and it's very annoying. By the time I see her squatting, she does the poop before I have a chance to move her.