Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Tiel laying eggs

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chandler
    Thanks

Tiel laying eggs

Hello everyone,

I have a little bit of an issue, my tiel "Mico" which I thought was a male is infact a female. I discovered this over the thanksgiving weekend when she laid two eggs, one which was a soft shell. So, I went to talk to my mother about it and was basically told "Thats what they do" and ended the conversation by telling me how her old Tiel went egg bound and suffered a lack of calcium and ended up dieing.

Now, I am not beleiving that the only thing I can do is just sit back and do nuthing. I have read several different articles all over the internet and basically I want to know how I should approach this..

Details: Mico is about 3 years old now and just started laying eggs 2 weeks ago, she laid two and at that point I made an effort to throw her off by cleaning her cage and changing up everything in her cage. I also threw the eggs out, which in hind sight wasen't a good idea. But reguardless the cage change didn't work, she just starting laying all over agian, currently she has 3 eggs in the bottom of her cage.. So, I was going to move a step further and move her out of my room into the spare room but was told that woulden't do anything. The reason is because the bird is in my room, since my mom doesn't want the bird any where else in the house, and I am a college student who has many late nights and I really can't afford to go to bed at 9 so that she can get 14 hours of darkness.

So, what else can I do??? Mind you I am a college student who really can't afford a Vet visit..

My main questions are, how do I know if she has abonded the eggs. Is their anything I can do to stop her from laying egg? Also, how many eggs is normal and after how many should I be worried about calcium problems and her going egg bound?..

Current egg count: 5 Total, 3 in the bottom of the cage right now, other 2 got tossed out.

Most recent egg laid: About an hour ago 8 Pm, 12/04/06

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Re: Tiel laying eggs

I don't know about the egg binding problems, but I do know that you should just leave the eggs. Let her satisfy her need to sit on them and after she's stopped paying attention to them for a good while (I'd say atleast a week) then you can probably remove them. You can give her some egg (ironic ) to help prevent egg binding or some other problem if I remember correctly. Scramble up some egg and crush some of the shell very fine and mix it in with the egg.

Get a thick cover, I'm also a college student and am up very late. My bird's bed time is between 10 and 11 pm, and I'm up until 6 am sometimes. I have a fairly heavy cotton cover I made myself, and I leave the area facing the wall uncovered, so a little light can get in to help prevent night frights.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chandler
    Thanks

Well, I have been keeping an eye on her and not touching her eggs but here we go agian. She is in the back corner of her cage right now warming up to lay yet another egg. This will pet her up to a total of 4 eggs. I was going to pull the eggs tommorrow but it seems apperent that she is far from being done with them so..

Anyone have any suggestions?.. I am running out of ideas and really am not quite sure what to do..

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Tiels are smart, if you pull their eggs they will lay more eggs until they have the amount of eggs back. So pulling the eggs will just cause her to be upset and lay more eggs. Leave them in there for now.

Hatching
    Name
    Michel
    Thanks

Leave the eggs... once she's done laying she will sit on them, once she realizes they are not fertile, and you have to give it a few weeks, she will then ignore them, and then you can take them out. Them being in there won't cause her to continually lay, just the opposite, she will continue to lay as long as you keep taking them out. YES worry about calcium, she should be given egg, scrambled is easiest WITH the shell crushed up inside, a cuttle bone and she needs to be given this daily. Otherwise she will become calcium deficient. Others can give you other ideas for calcium, but this seems to be the general idea for egg laying females. If you can't remove her from your room, then cover her with with something that doesn't let a lot of light thorugh it and keep the noise down, no music, low or no tv, no talking on the phone, bring it in another room. Birds are incredibly light sleepers and any of those things can and will cause her to stay awake. You need to be prepared for a vet visit at any time, and have money set aside for it, save a bit a week until you reach a comfortable amount and leave it there. You never know when you may need it, and you Mother sounds less then helpful in case of an emergency. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's what it sounds to be to me. I wish you luck.

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter... the cast-offs of human society
    I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal.
    And I was Angry.
    "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"
    God was silent for a moment and the He spoke softly.
    "I have done something," He replied.
    "I created You."

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chandler
    Thanks

Well, last night marked egg #6, hopfully she will stop laying now and the deattachment process can begin.. I am hoping that mabey in a week or two I can pull the eggs and she doesn't lay anymore between now and then.. I am going to look for a heavier blanket to cover her with as well..

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

Hi Chandler,

I would leave the eggs in there for at least 4 weeks after the last date an egg was laid. I remember Nicole said something like that. Just leave them there -- you can hard-boil them, if you want, otherwise they might go off.

Another way of ensuring calsium in her diet is greens, like kale and broccoli, Especially these two, as veggies like spinach - even though high in calsium - actually inhibits calsium absorbtion in the body.

You can also put her outside every day for 30 minutes or so, if its warm enough -- the sun will help her body to generate vit D to help with the whole calsium issue. Not in full sun, but even in shade, sunlight will do the trick.

Sometimes, girl-birds just keep on laying, no matter what we do.

You can also give her a mist-bath at least once a day (to cool off the hormones!) -- a luke-warm mist will be fine.

Those areas where she goes to "nest" -- they are a problem. I have sort-of solved the problem by putting down bell-type toys, or popsickle sticks in a little stack, or Lego pieces, just to make it uncomfortable for her to be there. My girl hates it, because the bell rings and the Lego pieces get in her way, so now she doesn't go there any more!

Another thing which I have found: for the hormonal period, I take out the newspaper sheets covering the bottom of the cage -- she loves tearing them up and get all excited and broody when doing that, so if its gone, she cannot get broody. It means daily cleaning of the actual bottom of the cage, but its worth the try.

In their sleeping cage, I have woven string between the bars above the detachable bottom -- she used to sit on the bottom of the cage the whole night, hold her poop in and get all broody and irritable. Now, she cannot get to the bottom to sit -- the string is in the way; the string also cannot support her, so she cannot sit ON the string and get broody. She now HAS to sit on a perch, and that means regular poops and a friendly, less territorial girl.

Just try and try. And I must agree with Michel -- you have to have money stashed away somewhere for an emergency vet visit. Start one today -- put away a few dollars a week, and build a nice "emergecy fund" -- she's worth it!

Please keep us posted! Good luck!
    Last edited by Estie; 12-12-2006 at 09:40 AM.
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

All Hail Hypnotoad Teenager ZoologyGirl's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

What the others have said is pretty good advice.
    Leave the eggs for a few weeks, she will eventually ignore them. If you take the eggs too soon she will double clutch and just lay more eggs to replace the ones taken.
    Just make sure she is getting enough calcium to prevent egg binding. Hopefully she won't lay anymore. What estie said is really good...leafy greens will provide a lot of calcium and uptake, but spinach will inhibit calcium uptake. Cuttlebone and eggshell will also provide calcium.
    Good luck.

~Heather~
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." - Juan Ramón Jiménez

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Chandler
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am going to see what I can do.. Make her some scrambled eggs with the shell in it and Hard boil her cluth tommorrow morning.. I do have paper on the bottom of her cage but it has the metal grid at the bottom so she can eaisly get to the paper below, althought I have sceen her trying.. As well I have removed all the nesting material from her cage.. ill also see what I can do to set aside some $$ for vet visits..

-Chandler

Remove Ads