Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alex
    Thanks

I need help my male teil flew away and left my female teil with 7 eggs..

Hello, I'm new to this forum I just want know if my female teil can raise her clutch by herself because my male teil some how got out of his cage and flew away, they were incubating the eggs for the last 4 days. I have another 4 male teils in another cage, does anyone know if I put one of the other males inside the cage with the female will he take care of the eggs or will he just ignore the eggs...

Hatched!
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: I need help my male teil flew away and left my female teil with 7 eggs..

That's very sad that your male tiel got away. 4 eggs is not too much for the mother to handle. She can incubate them fine by herself and feed them when they are very young since they don't eat very much. After about a week old you may need to start helping her feed them because they begin needing much more to eat then. You might even want to consider just pulling them and handfeeding yourself at around 10 days. It's your choice, but I'd definately help the mother after they're about a week old. I wouldn't try to introduce another male at this point. He may try to destroy the eggs to encourage the hen to allow him to mate her or the mother may reject him completely and not allow him into the nest box.

Name
    Joey
    Thanks

Is she still incubating....?I would definately handfeed like NavetG8r said....so sorry

www.freewebs.com/feathersupaviary280

Thanks

So they have been sitting for 4 days? If not, how long? If she has just started sitting, I would addle the last 4 or so eggs.... if she hatches all 7, it will be way too much and you would be risking the lives of all of them. Addling is done by shaking the egg really hard to scramble the insides so a baby cant form. To make it better, I would also take an egg one by one and put them in the fridge after you have addled them to ensure they dont hatch.

Name
    Keith
    Thanks

Hi Alex and welcome to Tail Feathers
    Second I agree with the previous comments made by the others I think you should get rid of the last three unless you are an experinced handfeeder and willing to step in to assist and feed babies when mom cant do it and I would not add another male to assist your hen. Your asking for troble if you do that, you could lose your hen if you put another unbonded male with her now or he could smash the eggs( I learned the hard way believe me)Only difference was I had two hens to a male and he did not like the other hens eggs in his box. Sorry about your other male getting away.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alex
    Thanks

update..

Well is not looking good right now my female wont incubate the eggs during the day only during the night, I took a look inside the nest box and there are 8 eggs inside I guess she lay another egg during the day today.

Name
    steven
    Thanks

i think you should take a look at my thread. Same situation happened to me. To sum it all up for you i ended up having to incubate and handfeed the eggs myself because the Hen did the same thing yours did and abonded the eggs.

Where are you at in california? If you are close i would be more than happy to help you out.

here is the link
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=35210

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alex
    Thanks

First of all I want to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my thread ,

Well my hen has started to incubate the eggs during the day I guess she realized that her partner is not coming back, but i'm worry because it's being very cold here in california for the last three days. I know I have to get rid of some of the eggs but I dont know witch ones to get rid off , I know she is not going to be able to handle 8 eggs , I'm waiting to see if she helps me out and puts some of the eggs to the side..

stevowpappas I live in southern california by LAX , thank you for posting the link to your thread I'm glad everything went well with Buttercup's babys.. Thank you for offering your help but unfurtunaly we live very far from each other..
    Last edited by Salgado; 12-19-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks

How long has she and the male been sitting before he flew away? If it has been at least 5 days, candle them to see which are fertile and then keep the ones that have developed the most.

Name
    Joey
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    How long has she and the male been sitting before he flew away? If it has been at least 5 days, candle them to see which are fertile and then keep the ones that have developed the most.

Yeah 8 chicks that you would have to feed! That would give me NIGHTMARES!

www.freewebs.com/feathersupaviary280