Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help...need your input

Name
    jodi
    Thanks

Help...need your input

I am leaving my 4 birds unattended for a period pf 4 days. I have no other option. I have purchased two water tubes for each cage so that they don't have an open water dish for that long, I have bought a food dispenser. I wonder if any of you have any advice on leaving them unattended for this long. I don't like it, but have no choice. I want to make sure that I at least leave them safe and with their needs met. Thanks.
    Tweety, Skye, Gizmo, Apple and Kiwi.......SEVEN more eggs to hatch!

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Re: Help...need your input

Quote Originally Posted by jodistorm View Post
    I am leaving my 4 birds unattended for a period pf 4 days. I have no other option. I have purchased two water tubes for each cage so that they don't have an open water dish for that long, I have bought a food dispenser. I wonder if any of you have any advice on leaving them unattended for this long. I don't like it, but have no choice. I want to make sure that I at least leave them safe and with their needs met. Thanks.
    You won't be leaving them with their needs being met. Is there no one that can come in to check on them...Have you looked into boarding them somewhere. Leaving them for 4 days like that is taking a huge risk that IMO is unacceptable...There are always options is one looks for them hard enough...

Name
    Jennie
    Thanks

Peter is right. I have only ever left my birds overnight once and that was with the neighbour coming in twice in the day to change their water, make sure they had food and cover them. I felt bad doing that even. I wouldn't even consider leaving Billy alone even for a night now he is my only bird. I would seriously consider a neighbour dropping in or having them boarded somewhere while you are away as its just not fair to the birds.
    Jennie

RIP my beautiful birdie Billy - you and lucky will never be forgotten. x

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Well contrary to everyone else I will say your birds should be ok so long as they have plenty of seed. A neighbor to check on them at least once during that time would be optimal, but some things just can not be helped. The key is that they have PLENTY of seed AND that we are ONLY talking about budgies here. Budgies come from a very arid area of Australia. They can go for long periods of time with little to no water. Do they like that? NO.

I have hard of a few stories of exhibitors that accidentally left a bird in a show box and found it 2 weeks later - alive. The birds HAD lots of seed though and they WERE thirsty. It can easily happen if an exhibitors got side tracked gathering/stacking 20 or 30 show boxes at an event. They were darn lucky the birds didn't die.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

I agree with Kerry C.
    On sundays I go to my fathers from nine sunday, until about four pm monday. Bindy is fine when I come home. Of course, I clean the water and food daily. But if there is enough than it shouldn't be a big deal. I usally just leave his cage half covered.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jodistorm View Post
    I am leaving my 4 birds unattended for a period pf 4 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calm_Perfection View Post
    On sundays I go to my fathers from nine sunday, until about four pm monday. Bindy is fine when I come home.
    There is a bit of a difference from basically overnight to 4 days...Would we leave our birds alone overnight...yes...we have. Would we leave our birds for 4 days without somebody coming in to check on them...NEVER. I guess the whole thing is a moot point though 'cause the original poster has not been back to check this thread for any feedback since posting this on Wed. morning.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

OKay... omg. Four days? First off, that's like leaving a dish of food out and asking your bird to "pace itself" because there won't be more. Puh-lease. They'll glut to their heart's content. And then of course.. when it gets down to the very little left.. it will be buried under hulls and they'll spend more time rooting than they will eating.

YES.. birds have been left for periods without food. Some have lived through the worst conditions and managed to live. But it was by ACCIDENT. Would you willingly put your pet through that?

Lastly.. food and water aside. Accidents can happen. What if your water dispenser clogs up? What if something spooks them and they have a night fright .. bleed to death? There was a big whoop-de-doo on this board not too long ago over a pet bird who was left for a brief amount of time. When the owner of the bird returned to her apartment, her pet bird was dead. She has no idea what actually killed her bird. She was gone for what.. I think 36 hours is what she said? She is still agonizing in guilt and grief over her loss. So.. imagine what 4 days, unchecked could do.

Can't you at least ask a neighbor to look in on your birds? Sensible people don't leave their pet dogs unattended in homes for four days, and most folks have someone look in on their cats when gone for longer than a day or two. Why do people think its okay to leave a bird for that long? Because its in a cage so it can't get out and chew something of value up or crap all over the floor?
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I agree that 4 days without someone checking is too long. My bird, without seeing me for 3 days (even though she was staying with my parents) was tossing her food out of her dish out of frustration. If someone wasn't there to refill it, she would have been in trouble.

It seems as though you JUST purchased these water tubes for this "vacation" time but you probably don't know that they gets mucky real quick. Our budgies dip their food in it, poop in it etc. and we have to change it at least once a day or toss the bottom part out to get the gunk out.

As for food, I agree with Oh Mowsie. Once they eat the food at the top, there will only be hulls left. Then what? The food at the bottom goes unnoticed.

I think you are taking an unnecessary risk. Pet stores, vet clinics and boarding facilities all offer their services to look after your birds. Home pet sitters can come into your home and look after you birds. Neighbors, even kids, can change food and water. I think this is simply a case of "I don't want to pay for it because they are birds" issue unfortunately.

It's too bad Jodistorm posted and never came back to see what people are saying. I hope the budgies are okay upon your return.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Four days is a long time I agree, seeing as how I've only left bindy for roughly 36 hours at a time. There should be some one to check on them, if not change there food and water but I don't think anything to extravagent is nessacary.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Four days is much too long to be leaving your budgies completely alone. You should ask a friend, or neighbor to look after them for you, while your away. that's what i would do.

Remove Ads