where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help, 1st time bird owner

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brenda
    Thanks

Exclamation Help, 1st time bird owner

This X-mas day my husband and I were unpacking the car when we saw a bird. We fed it and it seemed friendly. We continued to unpack and it came into the house. After hanging out we decided to keep it. We bought a cage and ask some friends and found out it was a lovebird. Can anyone tell me the approximate age? I'm not sure if anything can be noticed from the picture. Also any tips, we bought a bird gym but she/he is worked up since we put her/him in the cage. He/she doesn't chirp and simply stays on the top of the cage. We've never had a bird before and we want to make sure that the bird is fine. Any suggestions?
    Thank you,
    Brenda
    P.S I'm trying to figure out how to add a picture, i'll get back to post the picture.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Re: Help, 1st time bird owner

Sounds like the lovebird is very used to humans, the way he just flew right in. Did you ever try seeing if he was someone's lost bird?

If he/she is just sitting on the top of the cage it's probably because he's just settling in and learning about his surroundings. Try putting is food/water and some toys up there and he may eventually come around. It'll take some time for both you and the lovie.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hi Brenda and welcome to Tailfeathers. If he just came into the house and is hanging around, he is some one's pet. I have 5 lovebirds and would miss any one of them so much if they somehow got out, so I would suggest to try to find the owner. You can try local pet stores, veterinarians, ask the mailman and neighbors, look for postings at grocery stores and try Petfinder.com and your local animal shelters to see if someone is looking for him.

If you can't locate the owner and will be keeping it, I would suggest to find a good Avian vet and get him checked over to be sure he is in good health and there are no issues of parasites, etc.

I would then suggest to look at the top left corner of this page and find "Bird Information", which is under the Tailfeathers logo. You will find some excellent articles there about nutrition, behavior, and so much more.

If you have any questions, feel free to post as we were all beginners once!
    Don't be shy. If you can show a pic of him and his cage set up and also let us know what you are feeding him, we can help give you some pointers.
    Last edited by Lovebirdfan; 12-27-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brenda
    Thanks

I wasn't sure how you go about for a lost bird (I know what to do with a lost dog), thanks for the advise. I will look into it. We just moved to the neighborhood and are really secluded from our neighbors. We took a while unpacking because we didn't want to scare the poor thing and we feed it bread outside and we were outside for a good thirty minutes. I haven't seen any signs but I will be on the look out. The bird is now all over the cage and loves the mirror. I can't post an attachment, and the pictures are too big and I don't now how to make them smaller. Thanks so much for the advise, i'll let you know how the bird owner search goes.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

We use Photobucket to post our pictures here on TF...it's free and works well. It will give you all the info you need...just click on the link below and it will take you there...

http://photobucket.com/

Brand New Egg
    Name
    phil
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Sounds like the lovebird is very used to humans, the way he just flew right in. Did you ever try seeing if he was someone's lost bird?

If he/she is just sitting on the top of the cage it's probably because he's just settling in and learning about his surroundings. Try putting is food/water and some toys up there and he may eventually come around. It'll take some time for both you and the lovie.
    hi

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

He sounds like a very tame bird. I would suggest to get him some millet, some parakeet seed -- the fiesta mix has veggies and nuts in it, and some pellets that would be good for cockatiels if they don't have a specific 'lovebird' size. You can get these at pet supply stores.
    Offer him some parsley, dark greens, snap peas, red or green pepper strips.. he might not eat them, but it is worth a try.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    J P
    Thanks

our sweetest lovie is a found bird - he landed on a woman's arm while she was gardening and she took him to the rescue where we got him. She placed ads for awhile and had him a few months before we adopted him.

A vet can give you an approximate age. I would go ahead and get him checked out by an avian vet.

sounds like a real sweetheart!

Name
    Ulla
    Thanks

Sounds like a little gem has fallen into your lap