Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Alexandrine Parrot issues!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    kirstie
    Thanks

Unhappy Alexandrine Parrot issues!

Hi there )
    I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction, or knows of, or is a bit of an alexandrine parrot behavioural expert!

I got a baby Alex around a month and a half ago, and it is doing some weird things...well they seem weird when compared to galah or budgie or tiel behaviour!
    I wont go into everything here, but for example, he seems to relax with his head tilted back and his skull resting on his back! At first we thought this was due to the transport box it came to us from interstate in! But the behaviour has continued! I plan on bringing him to an avian vet when they open up again after the holiday season (there is only one avian vet I know of in my state- and I will not bring my birds to a normal vet, they just make me nervous with their guesses which are about as educated as mine :P) There is nothing dangerously wrong with him at this point, or at least his behaviour has not changed since we have had him which leads me to believe that he is just a weirdo or has something wrong with him long term-like psychological/physical!
    My main concern is a complete lack of being able to read him! I am good with all animals I have so far come in contact with, and he shows me affection, but is slightly naughty sometimes, which isnt an issue, what is, is that he acts strange, and I dont know if he is scared/happy/panicky/showing off/being silly/laughing etc! I just have no idea with this bird and his personality, weird is the best word!
    If I need to get video to show you let me know :P
    If you can help me pls pls pls email me .
    krystal75@gmail.com

before anyone complains either, I did research the breed as extensively as I could, but there is an extreme lack of info on this particlar parrot both online and in my local library.
    Although I didnt expect it to be the same as a galah, alex owners told me they were more gentle than galahs even and very relaxed birds, which I wouldnt describe mine as at all!
    I also got him from the best breeder I know, he is a few states away, and I got my galah from him who was the most exceptional bird I have ever met!
    Today he gave me a big scare, which is why I have sought out some further knowledge outside of whatt he net has to offer!
    We have a bath/shower, and this is the second time I have given him a shower on 30+ degree celcius days! The last time he made me nervous because he kept tilting his head back liek I described above- and I thought he would drown with water getting into his nostrils or beak! Today he grabbed hold of his wing and like fell backwards and wouldnt let go of his wing, he has also destroyed his tail feathers in the box on the way to us, so he is unable to fly, the couple times he has been out he has flew into things, so I dont usualyl let him out much. My boyfriend wants to give him a chance to learn to fly better or something till we clip his wings! He is only about 3 months old, so as far as I know maybe he isnt meant to be able to fly yet! But he has no long tail feathers now, they broke and eventually the broken bits have come off! (I took half a one hanging off him off ) Anyways he just kept rolling around in the bottom of the bath holding his wing, and he didnt look like he was having fun or doing it to be silly!As soon as he feels the water he spreads his wings out and puts his head back, so that seems liek he likes it, btu then weird things liek this happen! Its a good example of me not being able to read his behaviour. If he doesnt like it I would assume he would walk to a bit that had no water! I dunno! I am lost! Maybe hes just not very bright!

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Re: Alexandrine Parrot issues!

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound normal to me. The wing thing sounded like maybe he had a cramp or something. Definitely take him to the vet to rule out injuries/illnesses. I'm sure someone else will have more ideas.
    What do you mean, he acts strange? Yes, a video will help!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

I had a gouldian finch who became a stargazer. They don't know much about it, but it happens in gouldians more than most birds I guess. My avian vet didn't know what to do about it. She started laying her head back just like you describe. That bird really needs to see a vet. I would also call the breeder and describe the behaviors. I doubt very much that he is doing it on purpose.

Thanks

I would agree he should be seen by a vet just to rule out any health issues or to take of anything that might be going on. Baby parrots when still quite young will often sleep as you describe, with their heads tilted back. Their heads are heavy and they haven't developed the musculature needed to sleep properly yet. Hopefully that's all it is. As far as the grabbing onto his wing thing, I have no idea. I've never seen or heard of that.

You might also discuss with the vet about getting a modified wing clip. Get something that will slow him down but still allow him to fly with an effort. People have good success with allowing their birds to learn to fly safely with using a very minor clip.

Good luck, and let us know what the vet says.
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

Is he making weird noises and making little flapping wings when he looks up?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    kirstie
    Thanks

he makes little cooing noises at me a lot when he does it! He doesnt look uncomfortable or in pain when he does it!
    He doesnt flap his wings, he goes to sleep like that, or just does it for a while then puts his head normal and comes up to me, or goes to eat, or whatever normal behaviour things he does!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    kirstie
    Thanks

the modified wing clip- is a great idea! I will definetly speak to my vet about it!
    As for stargazing, one of my friends thought of that! But its apparently rare with other breeds of birds other than the finches, and he doesnt do it at all constantly or show any problems eating, and getting about as normal as most birds with this do!
    In the bath/shower it DEFINETLY sounds like a cramp. It was a boiling hot day, so we used cold water only, so it is definetly possible thats what it was, but I will also get the vet to check this!

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

He could be begging for food.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Could we get an update on your parrot's condition? Has he been to the vet?

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Yes, quite curious!

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

i would take it to the vet, to me it sounds like the bird could have balance issues... ( can it perch properly ? or does it look wobbly ? , or squat low when perched ? )

regards
    matty

Brand New Egg
    Name
    kirstie
    Thanks

hes perches ok, but he is clumsy, like when he moves he is unbalanced! Might be because of his tail feather damage in the transport box tho.
    He has not seen a vet yet.
    I got him an appointment for friday this week :/
    Will let everyone know whats happening!
    Thanks heaps