Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Candles...and the burning of

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: Candles...and the burning of

yes it is cumulative for the most...some things kill birds in a day
    others may just shorten the birds life
    we cant possibley know as lay people what does what...cos not even the experts know for sure...
    ha ...theyre still debating whether soy products can aggravate breast cancer in women so i doubt theres as much research going into the birdworld
    if something doesnt kill a bird in a few months..whos to say it wont cause some tumour or other scary thing in a few years
    id not risk it either

Name
    Stella
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmom View Post
    The candles I get are made locally,and the company does not have a website up yet(in the works,apparently),so here is a site I used to order from a few years ago,before discovering the local makers.100% pure natural beeswax,natural fiber wicks.Good prices and ships to Canada & USA.

www.beeslite.ca
    Are these candles safe to burn in the same room as your birds?? I've missed my candles very much since getting birds it would be great to be able to burn them again.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Yes,100% beeswax candles with natural fiber/cotton wicks are safe to burn in same room.(Of course if bird is out of cage I would not burn candles) The beeswax candles I buy(and the site above) use only the natural beeswax,no additives,no petroleum/parrafin,no added fragrance,etc.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I am a distributor for one of the natural candles mentioned above. I started in the company because I have two african greys and an amazon and knew that you had to be careful of what you burn around the birds. I have been burning our candles for near two years now in the same room with the birds as well as through out my house. My vet comes to my house to trim my birds and has seen no problems either. If you are in need of what I consider "safe for birds" candles I would be happy to help you! You can visit my web site at http://www.bayscandles.com
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Sheila,I would love it if you would list the names & ingredients of the scents you use in the candles.It is not only the parrafin that is harmful.Even some natural oils can be considered "heavy".

~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Wink Re: Candles...and the burning of

Following is an excerpt from the company web site concerning its ingredients. Note that the scents are not all natural. I have not listed all of the scents because there is over 90 different ones. I know this doesn't break it down to every ingedient in the candle but it is what the company provides. I also wanted to note that I am a member of a bird club in Kansas City and they also believe in these candles and allow me to sell and promote them within the club. Not sure all of this info helps much. It is like one post above, you have to decide what you believe and what works for you. I love the candles and burn them in the same room with the birds. We also now carry a warmer and melts for those who do not like the open flame!!! If you have any other question feel free to contact me by email at bayscandles@gmail.com.

Our wax is made up of all natural materials but we do not use natural scents in the majority of our candles. It is our opinion that most natural scents and essential oils do not produce as good a scent nor last as long as synthetic scents. Most of our scents are made specifically for our alternative wax formula and in the cases where we deem that a natural scent can function at the same level as a synthetic we use a natural scent.

Our original formula was 100% soy but we found that soy was NOT the best ingredient to develop an alternative candle from. The reason is that 100% soy does NOT hold enough scent to create a strong scented candle. When we designed a strongly scented soy candle we found that scent actually rose to the top of the candle forming a puddle at the top.

The proprietary formula we currently use is a formula specifically designed for our candle's needs (clean burning and also strongly scented) and is comprised of vegetables and other natural, renewable resources.

In our opinion, although soy has the benefits of clean burning and warm water clean up, our blend has those benefits PLUS allows us to make the candle one of the strongest scented candles in the market!

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Our wax is made up of all natural materials but we do not use natural scents in the majority of our candles. It is our opinion that most natural scents and essential oils do not produce as good a scent nor last as long as synthetic scents.
    Sorry,synthetic scents are not safe.I hope none of your club members have any problems.But I would not risk it.
    Beeswax is 100% safe and smells great.For other room freshening scent...I simmer cinnamon,cloves,orange peel,natural vanilla.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 01-21-2007 at 03:33 PM.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Here's some info I thought I'd add about essential oils:

"The fragrances are a mixture of volatile (essential) oils. The majority of these oils can cause either stimulation or depression of the central nervous system, as well as possible irritation to the eyes, nose and upper respiratory tract, depending on the oil and concentration used. Birds are very susceptible to the effects of inhaled volatile toxins, including essential oils."

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Here's some info I thought I'd add about essential oils:

"The fragrances are a mixture of volatile (essential) oils. The majority of these oils can cause either stimulation or depression of the central nervous system, as well as possible irritation to the eyes, nose and upper respiratory tract, depending on the oil and concentration used. Birds are very susceptible to the effects of inhaled volatile toxins, including essential oils."
    Thank you Kate!I had read similar warnings before but could not find the site to reference.Essential oils can effect us in the same way,so for birds it would be so much worse.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Bump, as scented products are being asked about.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Black Oubliette Aviary Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tiffany
    Thanks

Wow... I never thought I'd be able to burn candles again! But Beeswax ones are ok? When you said you simmer cinnamon,cloves,orange peel, and natural vanilla, can you explain how you do that? I used to use oil burners all the time, would it be possible to simmer in that? I'm putting in a room just for my birds and I'm really stressing what is ok and what isnt. Its funny, I was always on the chin forums, but I never was for the birds, so now I'm playing catch up!
    Tiffany
    Dark Labyrinth Chins--Black Oubliette Aviary--Midnight Labyrinth Farms

My new baby Eris the Eclectus coming soon!

Tailfeather
    Thanks

I would not use oil burners.
    I simmer on the stove on low. Just a pot of water, with cinnamon, orange peels, a tbsp of natural vanilla. I do not let the birds out while this is on, open pots on the stove are dangerous to flying birds. You could also use electric potpourri pots.<--click, but be sure no Teflon is in it(some are teflon lined now)
    100% beeswax with 100% cotton wicks are ok, no added scents, or colours. Some beeswax candles are coloured, I avoid those.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Sally
    Thanks

I love battery candles. You can use them all night. They are great!

Black Oubliette Aviary Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tiffany
    Thanks

Hey Sally! Have you seen the colored ones of those? I have blue ones, green ones, and red ones! I love the blue ones!
    Tiffany
    Dark Labyrinth Chins--Black Oubliette Aviary--Midnight Labyrinth Farms

My new baby Eris the Eclectus coming soon!

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

i found this a fascinating read.

we dont use candles in my house anyway, but still, good to know...

and my mate has honey candles! they smell so good! *100% nautral ones, like the ones you stated*

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

Remove Ads