Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: She's discovered her beak

Thanks

She's discovered her beak

I know lovies have a tendency to bite, I am okay with random nips if she doesn't like something. BUT her biting is getting bad. She will get out of her cage, act sweet for a half hour or so... then she turns into an evil biting machine. So, my family and I have been working at breaking her biting habit by when she does it, say no firmly and put her back in her cage and ignore her for a bit. Then take her out about 10-15 minutes later. That was starting to work, but now. If anyone goes to take her back to her cage other than me, she will bite the heck out of my families fingers. So I have to be the one always putting her back. I don't know why she does this, is it because she is bonded to me more? When I first got her she was so sweet and innocent my family fell in love with her. I warned them that she will start to bite and told them how to stop it... they didn't believe me until... it began. LOL. BUT!!! My family doesn't want to discipline her... so she goes on biting until finally they've had enough then they just put her away... like I said earlier they are working at the "No, put in cage" thing... they kind of are now... more so tonight than before... Could this cause it to be harder to get her to stop?

Any help on the biting thing would be amazing.

Edit -----> the title... OOOOPPSSS!!!!! I mean beak. Of course. LOL

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Re: She's discovered her beal

Quote Originally Posted by bebeliss View Post
    Edit -----> the title... OOOOPPSSS!!!!! I mean beak. Of course. LOL
    I was wondering what "beal" was!

Continue on with what you have been doing, with "no" and then putting her back in her cage. I found that "no" sometimes made Amaretto bite harder, so I started doing "no" and then if she didn't stop I would blow on her - which always got her to stop.
    Also try positive reinforcement to see if that might work with her. When she's out of the cage being good, tell her in a high voice that she's being really good. As soon as she bites, you're tone will change and she'll hear the difference.

This could just be a hormonal thing too. When Amaretto was a baby she had weeks where she would bite the heck out of my hand and ended up staying in her cage all day. The next week she'd be perfect! She hasn't had a "bad" week in over 6 months now.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

have you done the earthquake? say no and wiggle your hand around so she starts to lose her balances and throws out her wings? that one can work.

Name
    Brock
    Thanks

Lyssa, try to get your family to put your lovie in the cage for a time-out the first time she bites hard, every time it happens. Consistency makes all the difference. If they are tolerating her biting until they've had enough, she will get the idea that biting is acceptable and that she can get away with it.

Best of luck!
    .~Brock~.

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bebeliss View Post
    She will get out of her cage, act sweet for a half hour or so... then she turns into an evil biting machine.
    Some of my birds get this way. When this starts just put them back in their cage for awhile. It's because they get to comfortable and cocky. They just need a reminder of who the flock leader is and what will not be tolerated. The same thing goes for wild birds in a flock, a trouble maker will be shunned upon until the behaviour stops.

Owned by O'malley the GCC Hatching Jeff & Lana's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff & Lana
    Thanks

I have found with O'malley sometimes if I use the word stop it will get his attention faster than a no. For some reason he will stop whatever he is doing and look at me. Probably because of the S sound.

What if you were to put him in his cage and then give a treat? This way it is something good instead of just a time where there will be no more interaction.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest Adventures View Post
    It's because they get to comfortable and cocky.
    I agree! They do!

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

I don't like to use the cage for timeout/punishment. They have to spend a lot of time in there, so I don't want negative associations with it. Petra is already hard to get back into her cage, without me trying to fight with her about it at the times when she is amped up and out of control!

Our vet suggested to set the bird down on the floor at your feet briefly. I just count to 10, ask "are you ready to be a good bird" and they are really happy to get back up where the action is. This requires (1) that you do it IMMEDIATELY when they do the bad behavior (2) No dogs, cats, or other potential predators and (3) that no one moves, so the bird doesn't get stepped on.

My guys have a light wing clip - they could fly right back up to me, but all they have time to process is - I bit - I got set down. Then I pick them back up and they generally are fine.

If the behavior persists, I do put them back in the cage (if possible, not their OWN cage though), soothing all the while and telling them that we all just need a little break. Just for a few minutes - not more than 5.

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I have just started training my sobe, if she bites i imediatly blow as hard as i can directly in her face, they really don't like that, she stops biting then, and definatly atleasts considers to not try that again. it's been working for me.