where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Velcro bird with attitude

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Deb
    Thanks

Velcro bird with attitude

I've had Raven since Nov 6/06, and he's a wonderful little guy. He talks quite a bit, and he's eating pellets now after a lot of work getting the little seed-junkie through rehab.

The only thing we have a bit of an issue with his being a real mommy's boy. My husband has tried everything to get Raven to like him, and nothing works. We've tried letting him give the treats, putting him on his shoulder, or knee, giving him something of our dinner that he would steal off my plate in a heartbeat. Nothing has worked.

Raven will sit quietly in his cage while I'm at work rather than come out and spend time with hubby. I've left him with my husband if I have to leave to run an errand, and within minutes of my leaving, the little scamp is hissing and just generally being bold till my husband lets him go back into his cage.

My daughter has the same problem with Raven. She tried everything to get the bird to like her, and nothing worked. She finally gave up (because raven bites her every chance he gets), and bought a lovely little lutino female who is very gentle.

All hubby or my daughter have to do is walk past Raven when he's with me, or in his cage, and he does the whole hiss and scream at them.

Bizarre little guy I have here. It's like he's a little watch-bird lol. Nobody can come close to me if he's with me, and that's pretty much the whole time I'm in the house.

I guess I've created a monster by giving him all the attention when I'm home, but it would be nice if he would warm up to the rest of the family members in the house.

Any ideas??

Deb

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: Velcro bird with attitude

hmmm a common problem
    i have just bought two princess parrots and the first thing the guy said was to make sure there was plenty of time out of the cage and that everyone handles him so that he doesnt bond with one person
    this little blue princess parrot is a velcro bird but im making sure that he sits with all of us on the lounge
    the same with the little green one i bought later
    her time with us is also shared btw all the members of the family
    everyone changes the water and gives treats and walks by and talks to the new birds
    but for u ..the bond has been forged so now u have to disappear for a while and let ur family take over
    do not be in the same room and dont let them give up
    lots of treats
    and if the bird wont tolerate sitting on the hand then just put it on a stand or gym and let another person just sit and read or watch tv or whatever and just gradually increase the interaction ..gentle fleeting touches...cooing and whistling
    good luck ..it may take a couple of months but the rest of the family needs to have a look in ..no birdy favourites allowed lol
    let us know how u progress

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Your his keeper, thats all he knows, like you said you spent the most time with him and he bonded to you. Sweety has some helpful tips for you.

Topie is the same, she loves me and hates everyone else... Follow sweety's tips and im sure he will start to come around more.

C-

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Deb
    Thanks

thanks for the great tips.
    I got my husband to let him out of the cage after I left for work today. Showed him where I hide the birdie-crack (millet), and told him to just let Raven hang out with him and the millet.
    Hubby did this, and all went well till the millet was gone. Then Raven bit him rofl.

Poor hubby lol.

But at least he ate the millet first before biting. Usually he bites and gives the millet a longing look as he's heading back to me without his treat.

We're going to keep at it though. I want everyone to be able to enjoy the little character as much as I do. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes.

I'll keep you up to date on how he progresses

p.s. This isn't something new with Raven. He didn't like anyone in the house from day one. I know the woman that had him before me had younger children, and there was no mention of a hubby during the hour I spent with her. I'm wondering if he's just afraid of people in general. He will Not go to anyone who visits, and pretty much ignores my husband and daughter when they are here with him while I'm out.
    Last edited by 2tiels4now; 01-16-2007 at 10:56 PM.