Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How do i introduce baby budgies to 8 month old budgies.?

Name
    richi
    Thanks

Exclamation How do i introduce baby budgies to 8 month old budgies.?

OK so yesterday i bought 2 beautiful budgies.One Is like kinda lime green and the other is violet , i dont know how to introduce them to my 8 month old budgies.I want to someday put them all in the same cage.Should i Just put them in there and get them used to each other or how do i do it?Please help . oh and one more thing if there is anyone that is good at sexing baby budgies could you guys please help.I personally think the Lime green is a female and the violet/blue is a male.here they are

I think the lime green one might be recessive pied.It has a patch of yellow on its head i dont know if you guys can see it.but here a pics of its head.

Last edited by richi; 01-29-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Re: How do i introduce baby budgies to 8 month old budgies.?

you should definatly NOT just put them in the same cage. it takes time to ensure that none of the budgies will hurt the other. plus, since you jsut got the two budgies you should quarantine them away from your other birds for 30 days. i know this isn't always possible but if you can do it you should. you don't know if yur new guys have something they can pass on to your 8 month old, and you don't want to risk it. if you can't quarantine them then make sure that they've seen a vet first and that he gives them a clean bill of health.

annnnyways, when you are introducing two (or more) new birds, it's important to do it slowly because if you just chuck em together they can fight and seriously hurt, if not kill the other bird (they may not let him eat, drink etc.. aswell). first off, start by putting your two new ones in the same room as the other one. after a few days move the cage closer, then closer, then closer etc...after a while you'll be able to let the birds out for supervised play time. once you see that they're getting along you should move the cage beside the other birds cage and leave it there for another week or more. some birds bond right away, but some take longer. use your discretion and your common sense. don't take it too quickly, it's better to wait a little longer then needed then go too quickly.

once the birds are accustomed to each other and no fights are breaking out then you can consider moving them into the same cage. BUT it's still not a good idea jsut to chuck the bird in there and be done with it. the 8 month old will probably be very territorial of his cage (it's been his home for a while now and he thinks it's "his"). try moving the perches and dishes around that way it's on more of a "neutral" territory, they're all discovering the same things at once and it'll belong to all of them now. keep a close eye on them, make sure they're all eating and drinking, make sure they're not fighting (look closely for signs, you can't always see them). try putting extra food and water bowls in just in case one doesn't let the other eat/drink.

like i said before, patience is the key. try not to let your excitment and curiosity get the best of you. it may take a month or more before you can succesfully house them together. better be safe then sorry right?

Name
    richi
    Thanks

OK i'll try that.do you have any clues on the gender?

Name
    richi
    Thanks

o yea one more thing.I put them all in one cage an at first they did fight but then they got used to each other and the only problem was that , my lutino male tried humping my lime green one and "she"gets mad.I also noticed that before i switched them to the big cage the violet/blue's toes were bitten.I watched closely and noticed the lim green was bitting them because the both got excited and were climbing their own cage .and they fought for that spot so they could see my older budgies.idk if that makes sence.But the point is that im afraid to put them back in the small cage for the biting .Lime green made violet bleed a little on one toe while they were in their own cage and when i switched them no biting.What shoud i do?Should i remove them to a completely different room or what?

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

3 birds in one cage isn't usually a good idea. Two will pair up and pick on the third. As for sex they look like boys to me but, they are still young with the black beaks.

Hatching
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

Congratulations on your new birds. They are both very pretty.

Your blue baby - seems to be cobalt, but hard to tell on my monitor and the flash can really change the blue and violet tones - is a male. I think you are right - your lime green baby is a female and a dominant pied. She definitely has white around her nares

Ferin is right about taking the introductions slowly after your new budgies have been quarentined for 30 days.

Your new budgies need a new bird check-up at your avian vet. You might have another reason to take them to the vet besides the new bird check-up.

From what I can see in the photos, both babies have pitted beaks. This is a sign of early scaley face mite infection. My first 2 budgies had scaley face mites when they were babies, too. The first signs of the infection were pitted beaks. The infestation is easily treated with a drop of ivermectin at the back of the neck or a tiny amount given by mouth. My vet gave them ivermectin by mouth in 2 doses spaced 2 weeks apart. In the middle of treatment the toys and cage need disinfecting and all wooden perches and toys replaced. The medicine worked like a charm.

Hatching
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

You need to keep your new budgies quarentined from your 8-month old budgies for at least 30 days in case the babies are sick. When you quarentine, your new birds and your existing birds should be in separate rooms to minimize the birds breathing the same air. Even if the birds are in separate cages, they should not be in the same room.

If the babies do have scaley face mites, it is very contagious and you will likely end up having to treat your 8-month old budgies.

If the babies are not getting along and fighting, you need to cage them separately from each other. Perhaps, when they settle in, you can try the 2 babies in the same cage. Be prepared for the fact that it might be some time, if ever, that they can share the same cage. It is a fact of budgie life - some birds do not like each other. Sometimes this is temporary, sometimes permanent. Some budgies get along during play-time, but cannot live in the same cage.

I hope things settle down for you, the budgies settle in, and you can start enjoying your new cute baby budgies.

Hormonal
    Thanks

i keep mine away ..not only to protect the flock but to protect the incoming babies who are just weaned and at their most vulnerable stages as far as disease acquisition goes
    a flock can be immune to a disease but a youngster can succumb to it so the protection is for both sides...the existing birds and the new ones

otherwise i doubt there will be a problem
    i have many birds now
    and although they dont all get along ..none have ever had to be separated
    the cage is big for the night time and they are out of the cage for most of the daytime
    budgies are gregarious and accept each other very well usually ..if theres a squabble they will sort it out usually...mostly id say ....as long as there are lots of perches to get away from each other and more than one food bowl i think it will be fine
    watch them off course and introduce only out of the cage on neutral ground but i think u will be delighted....none of my birds fight...although the tiels jostle for dominance over the princess parrots now,,,there is no blood shed ...

i introduced one of the budgies to the princess parrots yesterday .,it was fine...
    good luck!

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

oh my gosh, i never noticed the beaks...you should definatly take them to the vets ASAP!

anyways i have to agree with everyone that the voliet one is probably a boy, and the yellow one is most likely a girl, but since they are so young it's hard to tell because they're ceres haven't gotten they're proper pigment.

Remove Ads