where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rosey Wants Out

Hatching
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Rosey Wants Out

All The Time Now..... Not That Its A Bad Thing..... I Love Her Wanting To Come Out And Explore.... But I Have Other Animals That Would Just Love For Rosey To Come Out So They Can Play Not So Nice With Her...... Is Anyone Elses Bird Like This?? She Will Run Back In Forth In Her Cage Till I Open The Door For Her....she Dont Scream Or Anything... She Is Very Lady Like About The Whole Thing..... But The Second I Go Into Her Room She Starts..... She Is The Family Room We Are Always With Her When We Are Home... Yesterday She Flew Or Glided On The Floor Next To Me She Steped On My Finger Without A Bite...(i Almost Had A Heart Attack) And Sat On My Shoulder For About A Good 20 Mins...i Know I Know This Is Huge.....i Still Cannot Touch Her God For Bid.... But It Was Great....

We Just Did Our Basement Over And We Are Moving The Family Room Down There.... Do You Think Rosey Will Okay With This??? She Has Been In The Same Room In House Since We Got Her.... I Do Not Take Her Out Of The Room At All Due Other Pets In The House What Do You All Think??

gettin' married! Found a Mate FreudianSlip's Avatar
    Name
    Aerrica
    Thanks

Re: Rosey Wants Out

I am going through the same thing with Charlotte. As soon as its morning and that cage is uncovered, she is at the door chirping away until I open it so she can hop out. Once out she is either on my knee or my head.

She is still afraid of hands, but she is more than happy to sit on any other body part of mine as long as its on HER terms.

I think Rosey will be Ok with moving - it will still be the family room and you will still be in there just as much right? The only thing I would be careful of is if you just had it done I'd be careful about any paint fumes, new carpet fumes, etc that may be lingering.

~Aerrica & Charlotte
    Even a small bird requires a large commitment!

Name
    Aerrica
    Thanks

Last edited by FreudianSlip; 02-09-2007 at 06:47 AM. Reason: accidently posted twice

Hatching
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Aerrica,

Our Birds Sound The Exact Same....maybe They Are Sisters Or Something...lol... How Long Have You Had Charlotte?

When I Say I Did My Basement Over I Wasnt Talking High Maitance Or Anything It Was Already Done When We Moved In...but We Used It For Storage...we Did Knock Down A Wall To Open It Up A Bit...thats About It Though... Cleaned It Up It Was Already In Great Shape It Was Our Mess That Prevented Us From Going Down There...my Concern Is At Night We Wont Be Down There.... We Will Be Up Stairs... Think I Will Get A Baby Monitor ...my B/f Thinks I'm Mental....uhhhhhhh Maybe He Is Right...i Never Worried About My Other Pets The Way I Do This Bird.... Its Like Having A Infant In The House Again......

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Trippy is the same way. He does "quick pacing" almost all of the time when I'm in the room. I don't let him out all of the time though. He has to learn to be in his cage and enjoy it. I also don't let him just climb out on his own due to the other animals in the house. If you know she wants to come out, now is a good time to start potty training. Keep in mind, the amount of time you spend with your bird now should be the amount of time you are going to be able to devote to her every day from now on.

About moving downstairs, she should be ok as long as the other animals don't try to get her while she's in her cage. At night, a baby monitor would be a good idea because tiels are prone to night frights and can seriously hurt themselves. It is terrifying to hear your bird flapping like crazy, then turn on the light and see blood on her. Another pet wandering around in the room and or any weird noise in the middle of the night is a potential set off for a night fright.

Name
    Aerrica
    Thanks

I have only had Charlotte a few weeks.

She belonged to hubby's boss's mother who passed away. Well, the boss's wife said "NO BIRD IN MY HOUSE! They are messy and noisy!" So he asked M if we'd be willing to take Charlotte and being the smart hubby that he sometimes is he said "We'd love to!"

Its been nice because R (hubby's boss) comes and visits some, times. Charlotte just looks at him like he's crazy lol.

When I got her she came with a nice sized cage, much better and bigger than I expected. I was expecting to get a sad looking bird in one of those little bitty tiny cages they sell for budgies (they are too small for them too) and was very healthy and obviously loved and well taken care of. The only things I have done is buy her more toys and I am switching her from her all seed diet to pellets and fresh fruits and veggies which she LOVES so it really isn't much of a problem. She is also getting some new perches - a rope one and some natural ones because right now she only has the ones that came with her and they are the plain ones that came with the cage. Of course normally she is sitting either on my head or on top of my laptop (which is where she is now lol)

(ok ok I know that was way more info than you asked for lol)

I think Rosey will be Ok down stairs. It will just be a little adjustment period. It isn't like you are throwing her down there and never playing her with her again.

Got any tips on keeping Charlotte from chewing/pooping on my laptop? lol I move her, she goes right back its a game for her. Silly birdie

Hatching
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Paradoxgirl,,, I Would Never Put Rosey In Harms Way Meaning My Cat....my Basement Has A Door Cat Will Be Not Allowed There Either....lol And My 3.5 Pound Dog Is Afraid To Go Down The Steps...(but Dont Her I Told You Okay)....the Only One That I'm Worried About Is B/f Father....he Is A Little Old Italian Man With The Memory Of A Toad

Oh Yeah I Have Everyone Loves Raymond Going On In My House.....inlaws Live Up Stairs..(its Been Two Years I Love Them To Death)...i However Could Never Live With My Mother She Is Forsure Ray's Mom... Anyway .his Dad Goes Down The Basement Alot To Do Work...he Is So Not Use To Closing The Door..... Can You Teach Old Dog New Tricks...we Better Be Able Too For Rosey's Sake....lol....i'm Not To Worried About Potty Training Just Yet But That Is Forsure In The Future...i Just Cant Wait For The Day I Can Pat Her..or Give Scritches What Ever That Means....i Hear It Alot Here Have No Idea What It Means...lol...

Aerrica I Love These Save The Bird Stories....how Is IT Going FOR YOU Doing The Switch TO PELLETS?? Rosey Is Having Fits... I Have Three Different Kinds Of Pellets And I Dont Think She Cares For Any Of Them....she Loves Her Veggies ....carrots And Romaine Lett...being Her Fav...cant Get Her To Touch Eggs Yet...then Again That Is A Little Odd Isnt It??anyway Checking Out For The Day Pretty Soon I Will Be Able To Chat Over The Weekend Setting Up My Computer Room Again...yahhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo........

So You All Have A Great Weekend..talk With Monday..karen

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Karen, we have the same issue with Emma - she wants out the minute we get home and she not only does the little "pacing back and forth" thing in her cage but she calls and calls for us in her shrill little voice (which I think is utterly adorable but my husband does not...heh). I know there are plenty of people who believe that you should give your bird time in her cage even when your at home so they can enjoy their cage and not "have" to be with you every moment but from the moment we brought Emma home I made the decision that if we were at home, Emma was going to be out of the cage and with us. Emma is a lone bird and we are her flock so it makes sense that she wants to be with us and I just can't deny her that. Her cage is in our bedroom and she's in her cage for at least 8 hours a day while we're at work so I don't have the heart to make her stay in her cage when we're at home too.

But, like you, we have many other pets who would love the chance to eat Emma (i.e. two large dogs with very high prey drives) and I didn't want Emma on my shoulder every minute that I'm at home, nor did Emma want that. She's a lone bird but she's a very independent bird and not one to be cuddled or scritched. So, what I did was create her very own "play area" away from her cage and in the family area with us. It's in the kitchen but well away from the stove or other dangers and we keep a baby gate between the kitchen and the livingroom so the dogs can't get near her. We're lucky in that the cats either completely ignore Emma or are terrified of her (she likes to try and attack them) so they're not a worry. Our house is very open so even if we're in the living room Emma can see and hear us. And if she's feeling lonely or wants me to pick her up for a bit then she'll just call for me and I'll come over and visit with her near her play area. Sometimes she just wants to sit on my finger for a minute and then she hops back on to her play area or sometimes she wants to sit on my shoulder for 5 to 10 minutes and nibble at my hair or ear. It works out really well for both Emma and myself. I have time to do other things around the house and Emma gets to "be with her flock" but not be held all the time. At 9pm she goes back to her cage for bedtime. Here's a picture of Emma's play area:

And here are a few pictures of Emma enjoying the different toys. I try to swap these toys for new ones every few weeks:

I would recommend making a play area for your Rosie, they come in very handy!