where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Getting a second bird?

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Getting a second bird?

HI!

I am really considering getting a second bird. Right now, I have a 1 yr old female cockatiel (Pegasus). I am a graduate student, who will soon be getting married- so I have a pretty hectic life. I also live in an apartment for at least the next 1 year. Pegasus and I are very very close. Whenever I am at home, she is on my shoulder. We read, watch TV, dance, and even eat together. She is with me usually for at least 4 hours a day.

The problem arises when I leave to go to work. Pegasus shrieks and shrieks. She really misses me when I am gone. I feel really bad when I have to leave the home and think she may need a friend. I had another cockatiel before, who turned out to be a male and kept trying to force Pegasus to breed. A cockatiel breeder I know told me that if Pegasus laid eggs, she could die (she was only 3 months old at the time). In light of this, I decided to give the male tiel to my friend. Now, I am very hesitant to add another cockatiel to my home. I have read that conures are often compatible with tiels, but that love birds, budgies, and many others are too agressive to live with cockatiels. Ultimately, I would like for both of my birds to share a cage. Is this even possible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Melissa

Hatched!
    Name
    Chelsie
    Thanks

Re: Getting a second bird?

Ultimately, I would like for both of my birds to share a cage.
    After QT, two 'tiels would probably be able to share the same cage as long as they got along. I wouldn't recomend keeping different species of birds in the same cage. Supervised playtime could be allowed between different kinds of birds as long as they wouldn't hurt eachother, etc. Also, having two birds in the same cage could get them to bond with eachother and not be as bonded with you, it might not happen but there's always a chance it could [happened to me with my budgies]. Keeping them in seperate cages which are next to eachother or close would be ok.

I have read that conures are often compatible with tiels, but that love birds, budgies, and many others are too agressive to live with cockatiels.
    Thats not necessarily true, all birds have different personalities and will get along with other birds differently.

Just my 2 cents...

And welcome to Tailfeathers, sounds like you and your 'tiel Pegasus are great buddies
    --RIP Beau--

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

You could run into the same problems you had with your male that you rehomed with any other bird. Not necessarily the breeding bit, but incompatibility to the point one endangers the other.

I would definitely recommend planning on separate cages, it's possible that could change later on by two cages side by side with allow them to keep each other company while ensuring they're both safe all day while you're gone

I think a second bird is a wonderful idea to keep her company, they really enjoy having feathered friends

My room is an aviary Chick Flight's Avatar
    Name
    Kaitee
    Thanks

I second what Chelsie said.

You could get another tiel from a breeder and have it DNA sexed so you're sure you get another female and not a male. This way you wont have any problems with breeding.
    - Kaitee
    - John McClane (lutino cockatiel) and Holly McClane (pied cockatiel)

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Hi. I got a second tiel about 5 months ago to keep my tiel Charley company. This is my experience, yours could be different:

The new tiel Syd (also a girl) was not as tame as Charley (she is from a shelter, Charley was from a pet store/breeder). For about a month, they lived in separate cages side-by-side and now they live together. Syd kind of bosses Charley around, she is very pushy (tries to own the food dish, etc.). However, they do like each other in a weird way: if they are separated, they shriek for each other I think with more time, they will get along better, we'll see! I would say, though, that Charley prefers me to Syd, and Syd prefers Charley to me

I, too, have read that you don't want to house different species together, unless you have a big aviary. They could have supervised playtime together, though.

Good luck!

Tracy Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

Hey there

we just got a friend for our bird, and although there is a little hissing and shuffling going on , they like to be together and eat together , sleep together, call eachother! Its cute and I am glad that we did it.
    I know that all experiences will be different, but I think it is worth a try, they do like company.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I bought a second tiel for my female tiel Mitten for the same reason. Puddy, the new tiel, is also a female. Mitten thinks she is her mom...or at least her "cool aunt"...but Puddy is really indifferent to Mitten. When I wake up in the a.m. they both go wild, but I think they keep one another occupied while I am not there and do not cry like baby tiels.

They both get mad/jealous when I preen one over the other. As of now (about one month) they don't preen each other.

Remove Ads