Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Swollen abdomen

Brand New Egg
    Name
    scot
    Thanks

Swollen abdomen

Hello

We have four beautiful budgies, which I though were all males until today. Today one of the budgies (Lemony) didn't want to go back into the cage in the evening when we provide the seed for them (suring the day they get strictly non-seed fresh food). Lemony flew to the ground very pathetically and unable to get back up to any great height. I chased Lemony around the floor for a minute or two until I could pick him back up and put him in the cage.

Once there he didn't want to eat any seed. OK I though maybe I traumatised him a little too much chasing him round but I was worried also because of the flying issue.

Nothing else seemed wrong with Lemony. No heavy breathing, no puffed feathers, no discharges.

However once in the cage I noticed that the poor fella has a distended area around the vent?

My worry is that Lemony is really a she and she is pregant or egg bound? What should I do?

The vent is clean. We have been unable to witness droppings at this point.

I will point out that Lemony is a really pale yellow (hence the name) with a pinkish mauve-ish ceres. Lemony is about 2 and a half years old.

There's no nesting box, but in recent months he/she took a real shine to one of the other budgies, who is a rescue from a dire situation (he has a dislocated hip) but is a known breeder as he is the little yellow one's daddy! We've had Lemony's dad with us for about a year now.

Lemony is not on the bottom of the cage, in fact (s)he's found the top perch in their cage. This perch is in a corner under the playgym on top of the cage - perhaps this is some sort of nesting instinct?

Tomorrow morning Lemony is going to the vet, but I'm scared that its not a pregnancy but really a bowel cancer or something horrible that's swollen up his belly and causing him not to be hungry.

Ahhh !!! Lemony is now at the seed bowl and eating. At least that's a problem I don't quite have. So can't fly very well, and swollen around the vent appears to be the only visible symptoms at this point.

Does anyone have anything they could share on this topic. I am scared for the little fella/girl.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Re: Swollen abdomen

Hello Scott and to Tailfeathers.

I am sorry to read about Lemony's swollen abdomen. Is the swelling right by her vent?

To monitor the droppings, change the paper on the cage bottom and isolate her away from the others. Then keep an eye on what droppings she makes.

Did this lump appear all of a sudden, of had you noticed something there for a short time?

There are a few causes for a lump, including an egg, a tumour, a fatty lump, a swollen internal organ. Is the vet you are seeing an avian vet? An avian vet will be the best way to get a good diagnosis and treatment.

I have a short article here about egg binding. HERE is a link to it. Does anything in there sound familiar with what you are witnessing with Lemony?

If you are unsure about her sex, you could post a photo of her here and we will try to help you. There are some people here who are very good at sexing budgies.

Glad to hear that she is eating at least, that is important.

Please let us know what the vet says. Best of luck with it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    scot
    Thanks

Ahh yes the swelling is right behind her legs at the vent area. Symmetrical.

I only noticed this today ... but this whole past week I have been busy at work and not that attentive to the birds. But I am usually keyed into their behaviour and regular habits and there has been nothing really unusual.

Tomorrow morning I will separate Lemony from the others (there's a spare cage somewhere) and I will check with the droppings then. But there's been no evidence of unusual droppings in general that we can find.

I had already seen your page, Google sent me to it when I searched earlier for information, which was how I found the site.

I am just trying to organise a picture now.

The vet is an avian vet that the birds always see when there's any problems.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    scot
    Thanks

Let me see if this works. Lemony is the budgie on the left. To the right is, Nocknoy, Lemony's father. The photo is about 9 months old, I think.

Larger sized picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/scot.mcp...79089254286882

Brand New Egg
    Name
    scot
    Thanks

Well we are taking him or her to the vet this morning got an appointment in a couple of hours. Put Lemony into the spare cage - his/her poo is pretty watery, although there is some solid matter present in it.

While we were doing the transfer we had a quick look at her 'lump', I still can't say for sure what exactly it is but now I'm not so sure it is an egg, I just hope we don't lose the little guy. ;-(

Name
    Tammy
    Thanks

Any updates?
    RIP My Beautiful Percy
    October 2004 - September 2011

Brand New Egg
    Name
    scot
    Thanks

Sorry for the lack of an update. We got the little guy to the vet. He is just fat! Despite the fact they only get seed in the evening, they will gulp the most fatty ones down as fast as they can. Also despite getting a whole room to themselves they just don't fly as much as as they should. Since then we've watched them and realised that Lemony won't fly out of the cage in the morning, he climbs up the outside.

We've instituted a diet for them. The vet recommended Millet sprays and the budgie crumble. They don't much like the crumble but the Millet sprays seem ok. Also we give them a little exercise session every morning - chase them around the room.

Remove Ads