where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bird seems lonely........

Name
    Barbara
    Thanks

My bird seems lonely........

GF seems lonely. She doesn't do much. Kind of active for about an hour in the mornings and the rest of the time she looks bored. She doesn't play with her toys--nothing. I've had her for a month and she won't interact with me at all. Should I get her a buddy? Should I get a male or female?
    I got up. I made it to the keyboard. What more do you want from me?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ian
    Thanks

Re: My bird seems lonely........

If you want her to bond with you, its best you dont get another. I mean i currently have two and i read it up, its harder to train them if there are indeed two in one cage.

It also means those two will bond more than they would bond with you (i read). So i guess it depends what you want. And for me, my birds sit around and odnt do much, even though there are two of them in that one cage. Id prefer to have them both bond with me. Its what im working on.

Train her, eventually you'll be able to do alot with her.

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

I have a cockatiel who is in love with me, and decided to get him a budgie friend because he's a little too in love with me. I didn't want him to become so bonded in the other bird he forgot about me though. My budgie has never been a single bird. I've had him about two months now and though he isn't super bonded for me, he still likes me. He's now starting to actually come to the front of the cage when I put my hand in. He used to back up, though he'd step up. Now he steps up and isn't afraid of me. He also calls for me every so often when I leave.

However, he loves my cockatiel. He will follow him everywhere. I have never seen him touch one of his (awesome) toys as of yet. He's got about ten in his cage Including swings, mirrors, bells, foot toys, chew toys. Anyways what I'm trying to get at, is it just takes time for some budgies to warm up to their toys. Ridley doesn't bounce around and swing and play as of yet, and he has a friend. When he's allowed out of the cage, he's much more playful but you can tell he's still not completely warmed up. He's not terrified of me, and he likes my attention (he loves to stare at me intently until I say something, then he chirps happily and does a little dance).

Make sure you have her in an area where she can be exposed to you and your family all the time. She will tame much faster if she is used to seeing you guys around her cage and realizes you won't hurt her Talk to her daily. Mine was a budgie from a bin, and he steps up and tolerates standing on my finger for about 10 seconds at max But hey, I'm amazed I have a budgie from a bin that willingly steps up after I only had him for about two weeks, and he's constantly getting better. He even got on my shoulder the other day. I'd work on getting her more comfortable, and in time she will warm up
    Spresso
    Med School... watch out! Go Tigers!
    Click on these guys to help them hatch

Name
    Barbara
    Thanks

I live alone and she's in the living room with me, when I'm home, all the time. I talk to her often. She just seems lonely and bored. I thought another budgie would be a nice companion for her. I'd like to get another one. Just not sure if it was a good idea or not.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

I had my Lulu for almost a year when I got Bo for her. I worked with Lulu almost everyday, but she was never tame to begin with and she was almost 2 years old, so I figured it wasn't going to work out -- the only way she would be happy would be to have a buddy. She was much like your budgie; she didn't move from her one spot all day, didn't chirp, didn't play with the toys I had in there for her... I finally gave in and bought Bo. I'm glad I did too, because they get along great. They both seem really happy and I can see a tremendous difference in Lulu since Bo arrived.

I think if you feel like you're really not going to make a difference and she's really unhappy, then it might be best to get a friend for her.

With Lulu, she came from such a large flock and then to see her sit there everyday not really enjoying life was hard to watch. Sure I could keep her alive, but I wanted her to be happy and I think she is now.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Barbara
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post

With Lulu, she came from such a large flock and then to see her sit there everyday not really enjoying life was hard to watch. Sure I could keep her alive, but I wanted her to be happy and I think she is now.
    THAT is exactly how I feel!! Thank you so much for that! I want her to be happy! It isn't so much that I am disappointed that she doesn't interact with me. It's the fact that she is lonely and looks sad. I'm going to get another bird then. Does it matter if it's another girl or is a boy o.k.? Also, the cage I have now is 15 inches high--13 inches wide--10 inches deep. Should I get a bigger one? If so, how much bigger? Should I keep them separate until they get used to each other? Or can I put the new bird with her right away?
    Thank you!

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Don't put the birds together right away! The new budgie should be quarantined for at LEAST three weeks, if not more. This means keeping him in an entirely different area of the house. Wash hands between the two birds as well, and even have a sweatshirt in the new budgie's room you can put over your clothes so you don't have to change clothes Your girl may have an illness, or the new bird may have an illness. You don't want either getting sick from the other.

You definitely need a bigger cage. I would order one online or get one from a small (not chain) petstore. If you have any bird fairs coming into town, I'd wait until then because they have the most amazingly priced cages I've ever seen. I saw a cage perfect for a cockatiel, must've been 30x20x20 for 17 bucks! My budgie's cage is 18x18x24 and I personally wouldn't mind getting him a larger one. You'll need another cage for quarantining him, so I'd just use the new cage you buy for his quarantining. I'm not sure the size two budgies will need.

I'd get another girl so you don't have to worry about them breeding.
    Spresso

Name
    Barbara
    Thanks

Thank you, BabyOtter. Very good advice. I knew to keep the new one quarantined but I didn't know for how long. I just found out today that a co-worker of mine has one she's willing to give me. I don't know if she knows the sex or not. If she doesn't, I hope I'm lucky and it's a girl. If it turns out to be a boy( after I notice breeding going on) then I'll have to learn about breeding I guess because I don't know how to sex a bird either.

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Sexing budgies is very easy. The older budgies have different color ceres. Females will have tan or brown ceres while the male will have a very vibrant blue or purple cere. All babies have violet ceres. I would recommend getting your new budgie DNA sexed (very easy to do www.avianbiotech.com ) before bringing him or her home. Breeding is not something you should just do because you don't know how to sex a bird! If you do happen to get the opposite sex, please house them separately. Breeding is a very large responsibility and shouldn't be done just because you have two animals of the opposite sex.
    Spresso

Name
    Barbara
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BabyOtter View Post
    Breeding is not something you should just do because you don't know how to sex a bird! If you do happen to get the opposite sex, please house them separately. Breeding is a very large responsibility and shouldn't be done just because you have two animals of the opposite sex.
    Oh, BabyOtter, I didn't mean to sound ignorant. I meant I would keep them separate, then--if it was the opposite sex, I would study and learn all about breeding before actually trying it. I love learning new things and I've thoroughly enjoyed learning more about Budgies than I ever knew in the past. Now that my children are grown and my grandchildren are in their late teens, I have a lot of time to learn new things. By the way, I bought a new cage yesterday (17 inches square and 22 inches high) and GF loves it! She's been having a grand time in there! Thank you for your input.

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Oh yay congrats on the new cage! Sorry if I sounded a little rude, I just see many people that end up with accidental breedings (any animal) and it's one of those things that just gets under my skin I just wanted to make sure you weren't just gonna toss two budgies in together. Poke around the forums, there are lots of great pictures of the different sexes and how to tell them apart around
    Spresso

Name
    Barbara
    Thanks

Yes, I've checked those pages and a couple other sites (this one's THE best) and I'm fairly sure that GF is a girl. The pet store where I bought her said she was, too. I understand your view on breeding--I worked for the Humane Society for 4 years and it's maddening to see all those unwanted animals, due to carelessness, and heartbreaking when we had to euthanize so many. I finally had to leave the job--my heart couldn't take it anymore.

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

stop think
    can you afford another bird...
    food
    toys
    vet bills
    if you can say no to even 1 of these things that you should re think

have you tried a ladder?
    my birds love these they go up & down them & when there done with that they chew off all of the steps to funny to watch

good luck in your choice
    Kathy
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Name
    Barbara
    Thanks

I can afford all of the above--not a problem. I have 2 ladders in her cage. She doesn't use them. In fact, she hides behind one of them-haha!

Name
    Joseph
    Thanks

I have 10 birds, one 'keet. I would suggest getting a different bird entirely. Then you have no issues with breeding. DNA sexing a $20 bird is extreme unless you are interested in breeding in my humble opinion.

If you are gone most of the day a playmate would be ideal. Let me ask, how much time does she spend outside of the cage? Is she on a playstand or your shoulder?

I wouldn't bother quarantining unless you were going to follow the suggestions above... germs don't respect walls when they can ride on your sleeves or hands.

Remove Ads