Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Reducing the Risk

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Reducing the Risk

Hi,

Im getting a weaned cockatiel juvie next weekend and am wondering how does one reduce the risk of Teflon poisoning? I've read the articles here and know that it is a pervasive substance and I do not want it to hurt my bird.

However, replacing all of the non-stick cookware is not a concept my mother will accept at this point (I'm printing out stuff to convince her). I would like to replace each pan with my own money, but I can't do it all at once. Basically I want to eliminate them in the order of most used.

In the mean time I am wondering if there are any strategies for reducing the risk to our baby. We have a bathroom with an exaust fan, would that be a posibility?

Normally I would have not considered getting a bird if the environment wasn't safe, but after visiting him my mother and I are in love with him. His owners are wonderful and socialized him so well. He stole our hearts
    Last edited by Kdbattista; 03-03-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Re: Reducing the Risk

Teflon is not normally poisonous as long as it is not over heated. Deadly toxic fumes are released after it goes over 500 or so degrees (usually when something catches fire and starts to burn). I would also be weary of anything over 300 degrees (meaning anything cooked in the oven, like nonstick cookie sheets and such). Definitely DO NOT EVER use the self cleaning oven feature.

It should be noted that the fumes that teflon releases are also dangerous to humans, though birds die much faster because of the way the use air in their bodies (they process each breath more than we do). I used a nonstick skillet in college (for pancakes and such) for over a year with my bird in another room (but close to the kitchen, no door inbetween) and there wasn't any ill effects. All it takes is one slip up and something catches fire..then wham, dead birds. Teflon coats many other things also, such as some hair dryers parts and space heaters, so it is important to keep those in mind as well.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

As far as teflon goes, the cookware seems to be one of the only things we own that has it along with a George Foreman Grill.

Basically I am hoping that moving the bird upstairs, opening a window, and putting pillows and blankets on heat vents and any large cracks(like the one under the door) would suffice. Maybe in warmer weather we could move it outside as well.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dena
    Thanks

I got rid of all my teflon..I didn't want to take the chance..

Name
    Tina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacksMom View Post
    I got rid of all my teflon..I didn't want to take the chance..
    me too
    Tina

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

My partner's the cook in the house, so I bought him a cast iron pan for Christmas, and he's stopped using the teflon pan.
    He used it seldom, but for omelettes, he liked to use it. Now he complains becuase things "stick to the bottom" of the cast iron pan...

Eish.

The other day, he found a tiny teflon pan in the drawer and used it to braise onions. I nearly went off my rocker!
    I opened all the windows, put on all the fans, and put the two tiels in the outside aviary for a couple of hours. I was so angry.

Though I never shout or anything like that, he knew that I was not happy, and he meekly washed the pan and put it away.

But that still leaves us with the problem that the cast iron pan sticks... and it was expensive. But I think it was already treated/seasoned, as it didn't come with any instructions, so that might be the problem...

Anyone has any experience with this?? If only it doens't stick...!!!
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Name
    Tina
    Thanks

i think you have to re-treat cast iron every time you wash it to keep it working properly.
    Tina

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Tealah
    Thanks

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...stIronPans.htm

I used that site when we were first given our cast iron pan by my mother in law. Even before we got Merlin I gave up using non-stick type pots and pans because for some reason all the non-stick stuff was flaking off into my food! The fact that I have an iron deficiency definately makes the cast iron a plus as well.

Bird Crazy! Hatched! Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Kyllikki's Avatar
    Name
    Bec
    Thanks

It used to be thought that only cooking on teflon at high heats was dangerous for birds but it has been found that even low heats can kill. It doesn't even have to be a very long period of exposure to cause this.

Of course the safest thing is to get rid of all teflon but this is not always immediately possible for eveyone.
    The next best thing to do if you cannot do this is to always move the bird as far away from the kitchen and any fumes as possible whenever using any teflon cookware. Put them in a very well ventillated room at the other end of the house and ensure to vent the kitchen area and leave a decent period of time between finishing cooking and returning the bird to that area.

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Reducing the Risk

I did it! I DID IT!!!

My cast iron pan is now non-stick -- a proper, safe non-stick for birdies and humans!

Tealah, I followed the instructions on that link you posted, did it twice, and my partner cooked fish this afternoon and it GLIDED out of the pan!
    No stick, none, nada!!

I am so happy, I can cry! Thank you for that link. You are a star.
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Tealah
    Thanks

I actually managed to help someone?

haha, just kidding. I'm glad the site worked for you. Oh, and as a side note, my husband's going to buy new pots and pans for us that are stainless steel instead of the horrid nonstick ones! No more cheap nonstick bits flaking into my food or causing trouble for my poor Merlin.