Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

desert penguin1337

[Dangers] Guillotine doors...

you know, those ones that go up and down w/out a latch? Our budgie's cage has two big latching doors, two little latching doors, and four gulliotine doors ( the cage was sort of built for two, although I personally think it's too small for that, the guillotines are for food and water bowls) so anyways, birdie's sort of advenerous, although timid at the same time, but once she decides she want out she'll probably start opening them. So to come inderectly to the point, what can we use to safely and reliably secure them? Maybe those latches that are on dog leashes and stuff?

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: Guillotine doors...

yep, i'd say that's be your best idea. clothes pegs can be ok, but they can flick off..... those snap clip thingys would be best!

FD

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

I use those C-clips, like come on the toys, at the top .
    Those have worked well for me

desert penguin1337

That's a good idea, thanks! I mostly just need reassurance from the experts

Thanks

Make sure whatever you use is zinc free, in case your bird chews on it.
    Zinc is toxic to birds, and symptoms of zinc poisoning mimic more common illnesses, so it's difficult to diagnose.

I no longer use any cages with guillotine style doors, unless I need a hospital or quarantine cage. The two cages I still have with those doors are held shut with stainless steel quick links.

desert penguin1337

Oh, thanks! That could have been bad! Speaking of bad stuff to chew on, our bird keeps pulling up the newspaper that's lining his cage, evfen though there's a metal grill between, and chewing on that! Is newpaper ink toxic? She's fine now, so obviously not too toxic, but nonetheless...

zebrabird

newspapers

deset.. i would try and discourage that habit because drinking a mere drop of the ink could make a human sick.. and if your bird eats or chews on enough of the stuff it wouldprobably kill him

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: newspapers

i always use old newspaper, as the ink is dry then. but every tiel and budgie i know loves to shred newspaper, and none have come to harm that i know of..... try offering better paper maybe.... that's not got chemicals and inks in it, and then let it rip that up! hehe

FD

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

I've always used those food clips, they usually come in green, purple/ yellow I don't know if you know what I'm talking about??? Just make sure that you do clip them shut, my budgie discovered how not to open those doors the hard way. We came home and he had lost a lot of feathers all over the place and they were all grouped underneath the door!!! Luckily he was okay and since then I've never had a problem because I clip the doors. Just to let you know that it does happen!!!

Emi and her spoiled baby Pablo

desert penguin1337

Cool! My question got put here! lol. I'm afraid that I don't know what you're talking about, birdpalace, unless it's those little annoying things they close bread bags with? Not twist ties, brittle and small and hurt your thumbs?

Breeder to be Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robby
    Thanks

Re: [Dangers] Guillotine doors...

I have been using the "D" clip that screws closed too. I came home one day and found my quaker with her head stuck in the door trying to get free. I have never heard a bird cry before but what a pitiful sound it was...when I finally got her free she was so frantic she ran to the far corner of her cage and just squaked(probably more embarassed than hurt). Since then I have figured out another method, which might work for some of y'all as well, and that is a spring that came with a water feeder(the one that holds it in place). I have attached it to the top of the cage and 'sprung' it down to just below the cage door. When she trys to open the door it just closes back and she can't even get her head in to get stuck in the first place. problem solved.
    robby

Name
    Adrian
    Thanks

Re: [Dangers] Guillotine doors...

My cages came with guillotine doors, six per cage, though four are food cups. I modified the large doors so that they're 'landing platforms' now. They're still connected at the bottom but I removed the connections at the top so now the door flips down like a platform/drawbridge. It's very useful for birds that like to sit just outside their cage door and provides a landing platform when they come to roost.
    ~ I know why the caged bird sings... ~
    -Paul Lawrence Dunbar
    Birdies: Rush ~ Bibbity ~ Beep ~ Boo
    Goldfish: Tuna ~ Marmalade ~ Jinni ~ Blibble ~ Pony
    Kitties: Bei & Dijon
    Doggy: Reena

Buy handmade toys for your birds!