Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Update on Baby that didnt want to eat.. and New question about Jubilee

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Exclamation Update on Baby that didnt want to eat.. and New question about Jubilee

Ok so I had Jubilee for about 2 weeks now and shes doing great and is one of the best birds Ive ever had! On friday I went to visit my other birds and the babies and found out that Baby( the mother) was on an egg and not feeding the babies. My grandpa told me that he took th egg away from her and she continued to feed the babies.. I told him he shouldnt have remmoved it so friday I came over to pick up the other 2 babies and he returend her egg which she got right on top of. I had mentioned in my other thread about jubilee that Baby #2 (Baby jr) was really scared and cried most of all.. #3 is pretty good and well mannered but still a bit shy which is ok.. but #2 scares me because she does NOT want to eat from the syringe. Ive tried 2 syringes and the spoon but she will not even open her beak for me. Today was my 1st full day with her and in all she really didnt take much formula at all.. I had to kind of force it..carefully of course so that i didnt choke her or anything.. But she wont stay still.. She is always scooting around trying to find a place she could wedge herself into.. I think she needs to feel huddled. I feel so bad though like she must be STARVING but she wont take the food and when i put a little in her mouth to taste t she shakes her head to spit it out..I get so fustrated! Today there was an 80s party at my church. I made sure I fed them before I went and didnt plan on feeding them till morning but I heard them all awake in the cage when we got home so I decided to try one last time. Thankfully #3 finally got the hng of things and took a decent amount but #2 just was so stubborn,, I dont now what to do with her..I pray that she gets it tomorrow..I feel so bbad for her I dont know what else to do..Has this happened to anyone before?? Maybe its because shes 5 weeks and too old to re-train a nnew method of feeding?? Help!
    Last edited by Erica; 03-28-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: Help! Pulled for handfeeding but will not eat!?

get her to someone who can crop feed her i think
    if shes not using the spoon or syringe
    so id ring a vet or ur local club
    there will be lots of people with experience but dont wait..they need to be fed

Hatched!
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I haven't run into this problem. I had to pull a clutch much later than I wanted to, about 2 1/2 weeks, but they still picked it up fine after a few feedings. I'd be on pins and needles if I was you. Although I'm not a fan of crop feeding, if after a few feedings your baby still doesn't get the hang of it, you may have to resort to crop feeding. Avian vets should have the crop tips and be able to show you how and maybe provide you with a tip or two after showing you how.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Ah Erica... She's a bit old to be shown how to syringe feed at 5.5 weeks, that's the problem. And often times, Mom won't feed if she's sitting/laying. Patchie wouldn't have anything to do with her babies when she started to lay a second clutch, however I got her to stop and after she abandoned the clutch, she started back in with helping Silver feed the babies.

If this chick doesn't get the hang of feedings.. you've got to get him to a vet for crop feeding. If that doesn't work, you may have to pull Baby off the egg so she'll feed her lil one. Perhaps the disruption in her cycle and all the hub-bub will be enough to stop her from laying again. I would suggest removing the nest box at this point though (for Baby) and the chick you give back to her. At 5.5 weeks, the chick is old enough to keep warm and it may be stimulating Baby to lay. Without it, she may not lay again.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Sorry i havent kept you posted.. It was friday night when I pulled her and her sibling from mom leaving mom alone (and now shes on 3 eggs which i plan to sell these babies to close friends..) saturday she wouldnt eat at all! She was so stubborn and being the most scared out of the 3 she hated me holding on to her. THe youngest one finally got the hang of it during the last feeding of the night. Next morning i took them with me to church and took them out to feed them. I had this idea that if #2 saw #3 eating then shed want some too.. sure enough #3 was gobbling the stuff and #2 opened her beak and cried out for some.. That day she was still a little weird with it but she was eating.. Now shes drinking her bottle and working on seeds. Jubilee is eating seeds but still likes her bottle.. and #3 has been nibbling at the seeds too..

I have a brand new question though.. Jubilee...Shes only about 5 weeks old.. Shes so friendlt and lets me pet her everywhere,, So since my other birds would hate it, I tried rubbing her sides under her wings.. She let me do it and liked it.. But I think she liked it too much.. Shes been doing the girly chirpy thing..you know what im talking about.. Earlier i took her out to scratch her neck and she did it..Isnt she too young?? Could this stimulate her to lay an egg at just 5 weeks???

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Update on Baby that didnt want to eat.. and New question about Jubilee

Isnt she too young?? Could this stimulate her to lay an egg at just 5 weeks???
    Yes, she would be too young... tiels are not sexually mature until 6-12 months of age or around their first molt.