Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Need help with Skipper hes getting possessive of me!!!

Critter protector Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Exclamation Need help with Skipper hes getting possessive of me!!!

Ok at first I thought Skippers biting the hell out of me and drawing blood was a reaction to fear now I know this isn't the case it's a matter of him being over possessive of me and when anyone interacts with me he immediately starts trying to get on my arm not necessarily bite but get on my arm and having been bitten numerous times and being cut open I've had enough hes a very affectionate and sweet bird but this behavior will quickly turn him into a Dangerous bird the odd thing is he doesn't Bite who ever gets near me he Bites me overt aggression maybe??? in either case I'm open to suggestions on how to combat this behavior hes developing it needs to be stopped it should also be noted on a individual basis with me not around He Loves Becki but as soon as she comes near me he immediately wants on me So Suggestions???

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: Need help with Skipper hes getting possessive of me!!!

thats the key
    when ur not around hes different
    ok so this is what advice i have received
    when ur not around Becki must do the training
    i take the corella who is my friends bird and very possessive of him out to places in the house where he normally isnt allowed and is wary of
    i take him on my arm to the front door with the screen so he can see
    i train him all the time
    walk past with sunflower seeds in my pocket and feed him one just when hes not biting
    i try to make him associate me with something nice
    its hard hard work
    i dont see him every day only when my friend visits but i do mind him for a periods of about a month when my friend is away
    so...what happens
    he reverts to his biting self
    he may be a perfect sweetheart with me...cuddly in his cage...beak grinding with contentment and then as soon as his man comes home thats it
    im back where i started
    i shall keep at it
    i had a corella as a kid and it was nothing like this one...never ever bit aggressively but then again it was never left alond cos gran lived with us

so....im just warning u that it could be a long term problem
    sometimes u just have to love a bird like u love ur annoying brother lol

u just put up with most of it...and try to change things u can ..but like annoying brothers lol...birds dont always get it...they live in a parallel universe and our rules and values just dont apply~!
    we love the corella cos hes an awesome bird and we owe him big time just cos hes let us get this close to him
    sometimes hes a feathered piranha and thats ok for our family cos we make adjustments
    ( we have just ordered the armour complete with visors and we surely could learn to sip our blended up supper thru a straw whilst the bird has play time lol lol!)
    goooooooooooooooood luck...( Becki...the scars on ur arms make interesting conversation starters!)

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

He may not be possessive of you, but scared of others. When others come around me and my Lovebird is on me, he'll bite one or two times until I acknowledge that it's okay. He is trying to warn me of these people that he's scared or nervous of and he thinks that I should be wary of them as well. Once I assure him I'm okay and not nervous, he'll be okay.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

How old is Skipper? Is he perhaps the age where hormones could be setting in?

You could be correct that he sees you as his mate. Typically, when a bird view another as his mate, his first reaction is to warn his mate away when a threat approaches. So he will "nip" her and "shoo" her, and literally crowd her space until she moves away from whatever it is that he perceives as a threat. So, it could be that he's telling you in "bird language".. "Move back love.. move away. I'm here, I'll handle this."

IF he is at a hormonal age, you need to take steps to curb his hormones by making sure he gets plenty of sleep at night .. he needs 10 to 12 hours of covered cage time. Quiet covered cage time. No disturbances. That will go a long way in helping his attitude. Other people need to handle him, and go about serving his food and giving treats, cleaning the cage too. Not just YOU, so that he can see that there is more to life than YOU. Showers also work wonders to help a hormonal bird. But he should develop bonds with others besides yourself. It will help him in the long run, even if its not hormones.

Good luck.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Good observation Nicole he did something today to suggest to me hes probly at that point the wife told me that he got all excited and squated down and rubbed his but all over her hand so I'm thinking he was in the mood or something like that the Jenday Conure we use to have did that and we were told thats what that was so you were right on the money as I right that my left wrist is still throbbing were for no apparent reason with nobody in the room he saw fit to run up and bit the hell out of me...He might now have teeth in the conventional sense but I tell you what the impressions on my hand look like tooth mark tip of beak and the two sharp edges on his jaw make pretty good teeth I'd say....so when he did that he got put away in his cage and covered for some alone time for the remainder of the night thats how he gets punished I don't hit him or anything stupid like that but he doesn't like being in the cage covered up so I'm hopeing he'll learn to associate biting with being covered up in his cage anyway I know I know "I talk too much" Right

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Lana the thing is he doesn't Bite her but I'm lucky to get through a day when he doesn't bite me and usually it comes out of nowhere no warning or hint what so ever of the impending bite and when he bites he holds on and chews to make sure he hurts me