where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How to fix up a cage?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Beki
    Thanks

How to fix up a cage?

I'm new to the forum and having birds in general. I expect my first lovebird in a few weeks. In fact, it's just an egg right now ar a friends house. In prepation for it's arrival I got a cage from FreeCycle. The cage is nice and big. I measured all the bar widths and made sure they weren't too wide, Everything looks fine. BUT it was free and you get what you pay for. It's rusty. What is the bast thing to do to remove the rust. It look like it's made form regular steel. Should I just use wire brush and lots of elbow grease? Or would a rust removal chemical be okay? I'm guessing not.

I read about painting bird cages and avoiding zinc, lead and copper b/c of toxicity. But if the paint has none of those is it okay to spray it. I live in FL and it's pretty humid, even inside. I would like to paint a protective layer so it doesn't re-rust. Of course not anti-rust paint, that has zinc.

Or is this all a bad idea and rusty cages should never be fixed and reused.

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Re: How to fix up a cage?

I would throw it out. Sice it's unclear what type of metal it is AND it's rusting I wouldn't risk it. Your bird if she chews on the bars could get metal poisoning it's safer to buy a new cage or a gently used one made by a reliable manufacturer. if you do get a usd cage remember it very thoroughly sterilize the cage before letting you bird near it.

Name
    Megan
    Thanks

Definately throw it out. There is no way you would be able to get all the rust off, and cleaners and paints can hurt any bird if they chew on it.
    You would be better off buying a new cage - but I'm so glad you are a fellow freecycle user! I also use the system in my area, and I have recieved many great things from awesome people.

Name
    Angel-Iris
    Thanks

i had a rusty cage all i did was srub teh rust of mine was steel ( cage) so it came off easily, then i got kid/pet safe spray paint

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBreeder1990 View Post
    i had a rusty cage all i did was srub teh rust of mine was steel ( cage) so it came off easily, then i got kid/pet safe spray paint

If it was stainless steel, TRULY SS, it would not have rusted. That is the point of SS. So the metal that cage is made of is not 100% SS but could be a mix of metals.

As a fellow freecycler, I know it's hard to part with some things but this is one you should part with. I wouldn't risk a cage that is so old it's rusting - you don't know if the bird previous had any illness and bacteria can reside within the corroded metal (and elsewhere) for a long time. Also, painting a cage isn't recommended either. Most are sandblasted and powdercoated which requires a lot more than what the average person can do at home.

I would invest in a good quality cage. You'll have it for a long time. Congrats on the (soon to be) new addition.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I would toss it and start saving for a good cage. Once it's hatched you have at least ten to twelve weeks to save up some money- keep in mind you don't want to rush the weaning process or you could have some health and behavioral issues.

Hormonal
    Thanks

i agree
    dont take the risk
    even some rust on a toy clip can get into ur bird

i jsut talked to a breeder who warned me again to watch out for rust on anything
    saving money on a cage is false economy if ur going to be spending money on vet bills later
    not to mention suffering of the bird and worry for u

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Beki
    Thanks

Alright point taken
    rusty cage bad..no way to safely fix that.
    new cage good

Thanks guys

Name
    Angel-Iris
    Thanks

it wasn't really rusted just brown gunk i rubbed it off and it was just layers of dirt.

try clenaing it might not be rust