Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Big Day for Jimmy Bullet

Name
    Brock
    Thanks

Big Day for Jimmy Bullet

Big parrot is asleep on his tree 2 hours early. Tough day for him. Today was his third time getting his beak done and the most intensive because he got the most off. He's a trooper and didn't even scream (man does that break my heart when he does ) He's starting to look like a parrot should now though!

.~Brock~.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: Big Day for Jimmy Bullet

AWWWWWWW!!! Porr Jimmy Bullet! What is (was) wrong with his beak? Well, it looks good now. I know what you mean but things like that taking them out. Loki was like that too. So streeful for these little guys! All for their good though.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Jimmy Bullet is very cute.

I notice a lot of Pi's with longer beaks - do they take longer to wear down or are they supposed to be like that? Does he have trouble trimming his own beak?

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

Most Pi's I've worked with aren't big chewers. Mine likes to take a bite here and there out of his toys but, he really doesn't "finish one off"! I've never had to trim my pionus' beak but, I saw one recently that needed it badly. It was at the Pet store I use to work at and they said the bird was going to be transfered so, the girl said (laughing) "Let the next store deal with it!" You could tell she was concerned. There was also a Hahn's that needed to be done aswell. They said they were going to cut a chunk of it off with those guillotine dog nail trimmers! I said "What!" I told them not to and then proceeded to ask them where the beak needed to be trimmed (to see if she even knew herself) and she pointed to the middle of the birds beak above the lower mandible! I told them to see a vet and not to do a cheap at home surgery on the poor animal! Jeeze! Some people are so, ignorant about things!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Christina
    Thanks

awwww, poor jimmy bullet! i can't get over how adorable he is! i can just imagine him sleeping in his tree.

Name
    shannon
    Thanks

he is very cute!

Welcome to messmate aviaries
    Birds we have, three tiels, 2 gcc's, 1 budgie, 1 pf lovie, and 1 lorikeet

Name
    Brock
    Thanks

The beak story:

His beak was long. His upper mandible was the worst. At the beginning, it was very thick and blunt at the bottom and he was so clumsy moving because of it. The tip area was white like it gets when it's going to chip, but never did. I had the vet trim it the first time and then took him to a breeder the 2nd & 3rd times to do a little more. After his 2nd trim, he was climbing around a lot more - faster and more confident, too. He also really got into biting soft woods and shredding toys. Despite this, it wasn't wearing down as fast as it should. I think it is because it was simply still too thick and blunt. Their upper beak should be pointy.

Anyway, I was told beak problems are mostly due to poor diet and that is something I've been working really hard on changing with him. So I am taking him for regular trims now until it looks like he can maintain his beak himself.

Kate - I read that pionus beaks are supposed to be on the long side, however after seeing pictures of healthy pis, they all have usual looking beaks. From observing Jimmy Bullet, he is doing exponentially better with a short, normal sized beak.
    .~Brock~.

Remove Ads