Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Dating Permission?

Name
    Angel-Iris
    Thanks

Dating Permission?

How do I get my parents to let me date this guy? I haven't known him for long, but when he walked into the room I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. Not the way that u can't with a hot looking guy, but the way you feel when a guy with a great personality catches ur eyes. Well he hugge dbe infront of my dad 2 days later, and he even appologized later because my parents were worried it was well a feely hug but it wasn't. My dad likes him he ran into him in the hall way when Ian whent to use the restroom, and he was very polite.
    Well we talk dayly . My dad met him in Feb., so did I. He is very sweet and polite. We talk over the net since my parents are very protective. We swap stories of our days. And the stories we write. He worries about me when I get hurt.. and brings we up when I'm down. He has the same views/ beleifes/ likes and dislikes as me/ He's 17 . he will be 18 august 29th. i will be 17 november 21st. He is 1 year 3mnths older than me, but he acts more umm sofisticated. Not like most teenagers today. He loves his family, and actually mowed his grandparents whole yard today and it's 1 acre.
    Ian has never been out on a date or ever kissed. Neither have I. What I'm saying is I care about him much and so does he. So how could I go about asking is we could just hang out together, or date. Maybe hang out more first and then slowly work our way into a date. I know he likes me he told me. He knows I like me.

How do I get them to say ok.?

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: Dating Permission?

Well, it sort of depends.

You are 16, right?

And do your parents have any rules on dating that dating him now would violate?

To more specific, do your parents have any particularly strict views on dating, or possibly not believe in it at all? I was home schooled too--whoo hoo! But that also means that I know some folks in the home school community have special views about it. If your parents are in that group, then you might need to follow different advice than the average teenager.

If your parents have no rules against you dating right now, then you shouldn't have any great trouble bringing up the matter with them. They already know who he is and think he is polite, right? Just be honest and reasonable with them.

However, if you know that your parents have objections, then you should talk to them with those in minds. If they don't believe in you dating now, then you should share with them that you like this young man. Tell them that you want to get to know him better, but want to do so in a way that they approve of. (That approach ought to floor them and *might* give you some bargaining room.) Ask them what they would like you to do. If they won't let you out alone, maybe they'd let you group date, or would let him visit you at your home with your folks somewhere on the premisis.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

I think that's pretty great advice Danielle gave.

The more you include your parents, the less they'll feel you're trying to hide him or something from them and they'll likely be more receptive

Supervised visits/dates is a good start, and you can take that opportunity to show them how well-behaved you both are and they might extend the trust

Silly Lily's Mommy Baby shortncrazy2's Avatar
    Name
    Denise
    Thanks

I don't know what type of relationship you have with your parents, but I have always been close to mine and when it take to the time for dating. I was able to talk to them about things. It's pretty much time the time of your life for all the school dances and ect- so having a guy around is pretty hepful for those moments.
    My suggestion is to talk to your parents and get their point of view and see what they say. Every parents is different.

* I started dating at 16, at 18 I met Robbie and at 22 we were married.

Name
    Angel-Iris
    Thanks

i am close i think maybe when they know him a bit better maybe the 2 of us can sit down and talk to mine and his parents

Silly Lily's Mommy Baby shortncrazy2's Avatar
    Name
    Denise
    Thanks

Best of Luck!

Name
    Angel-Iris
    Thanks

his parents are oldfashioned like mine

His mom used to be a lifeguard

His father is a retired army amn now he teaches at a local college which Ian's 2 sister's attend.

Maybe I will ask in teh summer time lol when i get some courage

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

...Summer is almost here.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Angel-Iris
    Thanks