Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Unhappy Poor Poor Elvis Bird

Elvis has had a very bad day. All of it is my fault. When you hear about stories where something tatally preventable happens you think "No way will I ever let that happen." Unfourtunatly fate is a nasty piece of work and when you slip believe you me it will kick you hard, or someone close to you. Which as I should add is WAY worse.

So, yesterday started as normal, I fed the hooligans, cleaned the cages and so on. Vegas was being obnoxious so I let him out on top of his cage and went to deal with the leopard gecko. Vegas has a bad habit of jumping onto the cage of the smaller birds. Rockers knows how to drive him off or run away, Elvis, well isn't so swift. He screams but doesn't move. This has happened before and usually I can seperate the two quickly. I never thought something bad would ever happen, I was complacent and I was wrong. Vegas landed on Elvis' cage and went after him, and succeded. Vegas got a hold of Elvis' foot and bit down. Hard. Elvis screamed, I ran over, but it was too late, Elvis was bleeding. His foot looked bad, really bad. I called the vet and rushed over, making it by 20minutes before the avian vet was schedualed to leave. he took one look and went, "oh, he got you good." So they take Elvis to the back and I was left in the waiting room. When Elvis started screaming, I lost it, I wanted to kill someone. The only person I can blame though is myself, I should have known better. After the longest 15 minutes of my life they brought him out, foot in a big green bandage. He was prescribed baytril and rest, and Monday I was too come in to have the bandages changed. We went home, and I moved all his perches down low and made him as comfortable as possible.

Elvis is a trooper, on the way to the vet's office he sang, he chatted up the nurses and accepted tickles right away. He's such a good, sweet little bird. When I arrived home from work last night I brought fresh millet and a platform for him to be more comfortable. I took him out and brought him over to the couch so we could sit together. At this point you think ok it's all going to be ok, he'll be a little dorky looking for a while with his silly green boot but it will soon be off. WHAT MORE COULD GO WRONG?

The phone rang, or I had to grab somthing at this point I don't even remember. What I do remember is getting up and having to walk around the couch. That is about five feet at most. That is when Elvis spooked, what made him freak? I haven't the slightest idea. But I heard wings flapping and my heart stopped. OH NO ELVIS PLEASE DON"T! And I ran as fast as I could but he was faster and being off balance he didn't land on the perch, he landed on Vegas' cage, with Vegas right below him. I had to hit Vegas to make him let go, I grabbed Elvis and he rolled in my hand. Vegas had got the OTHER FOOT! Thankfully Charles was nearly home, i had just enough composer left to dial the after hours clinic and sob, "he got the other foot!" Off to the vet we go for the second time in one day. This time he bled alot more, if you would have asked me I would have sworn that his foot was going to fall off. Poor poor Elvis Bird.

At the moment Elvis is sleeping in his crate, I carted him to work with me so that I could watch him. I have to help him drink, eat and poop. all he is capable of is rolling around very akwardly.
    I hope that the damaged isn't permanent, unfortunatly only time will tell at this point. I would die if he lost a foot or both, what would the poor little guy do? he was already the clumiest, now he may be further hindered.
    Elvis is a trooper, like I said, and I hope he makes it out in one piece.

I posted this in general because more people will read it, and it's very important that people know. DO NOT GET COMPLACENT! Never think "oh that can't happen to me" , I sure did and now Elvis has to pay.

Last edited by Mary Jo; 05-05-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Poor Poor Elvis Bird

Aww,poor Elvis Get well soon little one.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Silly Lily's Mommy Baby shortncrazy2's Avatar
    Name
    Denise
    Thanks

Poor Elvis...my heart goes out to him...sounds like Vegas needs to be in an entirly different area of the house to me.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Oh my goodness...he looks so cute and pitful sitting there with his bandages!

Hugs to you and to him. I totally know what you mean, it feels awful when an accident takes place that you feel you should have prevented. I have really hard time forgiving myself for things like that too.

But, they do happen, and I bet Elvis will be alright in the end. He looks like he is taking it really well! And even if hes does have a problem with one of his feet, many birds have ovecome that impediment. More likely though, he'll heal up just fine.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Oh! Poor little guy! He looks so pathetic in those tiny boots but you can see a fighter's spirit in that sweet little face.

Hormonal
    Thanks

oh Mary Jo
    what a terrible thing for u and ur bird
    ur story went thru me like an electric shock
    i know what its like to have two pets involved in a scuffle
    i had a german shepherd u eventually killed my dachshund and its a nightmare of horrors and after all is done...the guilt is there for ever for me

ahh Mary Jo..we do take risks ...we dont even know we are doing so half the time...thanks for posting at such a hard time...it may well alert all of us to just be more careful
    i hope Elvis comes thru just fine
    hugs to both of u

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Oh wow, that poor baby

I can't imagine what it would be like to be in your situation, thanks for the reminder warning so maybe i never will be now.

Quick healing hugs to both of you, your heart must be so heavy right now.

Name
    shannon
    Thanks

the poor little dear. I know what you are going through kind of, storms first meeting with my conures he got nipped on the foot cause he jumped from my shoulder on to thier cage grrrr. He remembers and hasnt been near them since.
    I wish him a speedy recovery

Welcome to messmate aviaries
    Birds we have, three tiels, 2 gcc's, 1 budgie, 1 pf lovie, and 1 lorikeet

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Mary Jo,

What a horrible, frightful experience for Elvis and you!! Not once, but twice! I can't imagine how you stayed calm enough to deal with it all!!!

I am so glad you told this story, it may help as a reminder never to take an animals actions for granted. It happens in less than an instant. You are so right.. it CAN happen to anyone, any time. So we just have to stay as alert as possible and try to avoid situations that may put our animals in danger. I am so sorry you and Elvis had to go through this, but it really made me stop and think about my 'safety' habits with my animals so thank you again for posting.

I hope the Baytril and rest does the trick. He is an amazing bird-- what a trooper!! The pictures are so cute, even though they are sad, he is still so adorable. I am sending you hugs.. and I hope Elvis is going to heal up quickly. Please keep us posted.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Awwwwww! Poor little Elvis! I am so relieved to hear that his feet are okay though and not much damage has been done.

I have to say that he looks extremely adorable and cute sitting there with his feet in coloured bandages! Makes me want to pick him up and give him a big kiss on his feathery head.

Bird kisses are the best. Fledgeling CritterLover's Avatar
    Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

Mary Jo, thanks for posting. I have a feeling Elvis will get through all this. It really is easy to get complacent but I won't forget Elvis' little feet. Speedy recovery to him.
    My Crew
    In loving memory of Ping, Pong and my Little Green Bean. You're sadly missed.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Mary Jo,

How is Elvis today? He has been on my mind and I sure hope he is feeling better.

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Elvis is doing well, he can move around better. My biggest concern is that he keeps his feet flat, his left foot falls to the side alot becasue of the shape of the cast, so I have to keep moving it. Otherwise his foot may heal crooked, and he would be handicapped for life. I'm hoping tha the vet tommorow will be able to figure out something to help that.
    I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the kind words we both appreciate them!

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Oh no! Poor Elvis!! Poor Mary Jo!!!

These things do happen to even the most careful of us. A year and a half ago, Bartok (my GCC) decided to take a stroll on my mom's hormonal female lovebird's cage. She proceeded to break his toe and chew up his nostril. His toe healed crooked and his nostril is permanently disfigured, but he is doing fine, still hanging upside down from the damaged toe's toenail. The vet thought he might lose that toe for good, but he got to keep it, phew! All of this happened when I was out of town at a wedding, but my mother is very careful and loves her grandfids very much. She was beside herself when I got home!

At any rate, he dealt with his bandages well and returned to his happy old self pretty quickly. Birds are incredibly resilient.

I think Elvis will be ok, especially with such a doting mom. Please give him a kiss on his head for me and some extra scritches today.

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Poor little Elvis! How traumatic it must have been for you having this happen twice! I hope he recovers quickly. I'm sure both feet will recover fully. Be sure to keep us updated!
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Yikes, Mary Jo, I'm so sorry for you and him! I'm sure with such great care he'll be better in no time. I, too, wonder if Vegas hasn't just earned his own room away from the other birds. Keep us posted on Elvis' condition! Such a sweet little face.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I just read about Elvis and his traumatic experience!! Hugs. I know how much you care about all your birds, would never intentionally put them in harms way and we can all get a little 'lax. It took only two dive bombs on Loki and one chomp on her tail feathers to know Winston HAD to be clipped.

I wish Elvis (and your heart) a quick recovery. Ask the vet about the foot going sideways. He may be able to put a splint on it so it doesn't rest improperly. Just a thought. And the pictures are cute but will serve as a reminder to everyone how things can end if we aren't as diligent and let our guard down.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Ok so we went to the vet today, the bandages have been changed and so far it's looks ok. The vet said that he still has cirrculation in both feet which is AWSOME, they were rather surprised, I think that they though he might loose something. There are no signs of infection and the new bandages help keep his feet in a better position. He has lost some weight, I don't know exactly how much because w/ the bandages it's immpossible to weight him. But I can feel on his breast bone that he isn't as plump. But he is eating and drinking well, and he is getting all the millet he wants. So he has another appointment thurdays and it seems that the bandages will come off too!

Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Yaaay Elvis!

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Oh good, SO glad to hear that! Hopefully he'll be as good as new in no time

Aperture Test Subject Teenager shiney mew's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad he's doing better. It's scary when they get hurt, but amazing how well they can recover...

Hormonal
    Thanks

thanks for the update Mary jo..been thinking of foot injuries since ur story and have alerted others
    glad to hear Elvis still has a good chance to have a complete recovery!

Name
    Brock
    Thanks

Poor Elvis I am glad he is doing a bit better and that his feet have circulation.
    .~Brock~.

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Ok so Elvis still has is bandages on, the vet decided to leave them on untill monday now, darn. He also gave Elvis a suppliment after I mentioned he had lost weight, so Elvis now that twice a day and the baytrill twice a day.

Otherwise he is doing good, he keeps trying run around an his little boots, very cute.

I have some more pictures too.
    Old boots

New boots, they match

when I came home I found the boys pigging out and watching wrestling....

~~ TAMI ~~ Egg's Cracking... Tami Hooper's Avatar
    Name
    Tami
    Thanks

Awwwww......how adorable !! If you look at the second picture with the matching boots, he looks so peaceful in the face. So sweet and he looks like he's smiling And I absolutely love the pictures of the boys eating !!! Thanks for sharing more photos. Hope he's better soon!