where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: A crop bra

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aamir
    Thanks

A crop bra

Hey, I need to know how to make a crop bra for my 16-day old cockatiel baby. Please help me out, i don't want the baby to die..

Name
    phill
    Thanks

Re: A crop bra

not to sure what u mean by crop bra?
    QUAKER
    Proud owner of:
    Cj, Posh, Becham-- Quakers
    Bella, Bello-- GCC and 1 GCC bub
    Jonny, Princess-- Tiels
    1 tiel bub coming soon!!

Thanks

I've never heard of such a thing, but if the crop is overextended and needs support or something like that, maybe you could use women's nylons to gently wrap around and tie in back, under his wings and over his back?
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Seems to me from your last post, that if you really don't want it to die, you'll take it to a vet

Thanks

Hi

Looks like you got some real good advice.... NOT!! This just makes me mad. If you people don't know what you are talking about then why don't you just shut up. Try this link. http://www.avianweb.com/featherplucking.html It talks about using this for feather plucking, but is the same thing. They are made out of the red vet wrap. The baby will not die if you get this on in time. And there is no reason to take him to the vet.
    Let me know how it turns out. And if you need any help just let me know.

Ron

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Let me just take a moment to say that rudeness to others will NOT be tolerated on this board. I know you want to help Aamir, Ron, but being rude to other members who have replied is not acceptable. To everyone about to reply, make sure you think before you type.

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightlady View Post
    Seems to me from your last post, that if you really don't want it to die, you'll take it to a vet
    Agreed. Whatever home remedies you are being given at this point, you should not be trying them alone, and you probably ought to run any planned treatment by a vet.

Why are you persisting in not treating this bird, when its life likely depends on it?
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

From your past post, you said the problem was sour crop now it's an extended crop? If it hasn't emptied in 3 days there is a problem much larger than needed support with a "crop bra". Birds don't normally "vomit", so trying to get a bird to do so won't help you. This is not a normal action.

The crop may need to be lavaged (putting liquid into the crop, filling it, then emptying it via syringe). THIS IS NOT A HOME REMEDY. This is something that needs to be done under veterinary care. Once this is done, you may be able to continue handfeeding and save this bird.

Also, do you know the history of your breeding pair of cockatiels? Cockatiels have been found to be carriers of the PDD (proventricular dilatation disease) virus more than other species (along with macaws). The symptom of this disease include slow emptying time of the crop due to a non-functioning proventriculus, the muscle that controls the emptying of the crop, along with crop impaction, regurgitation, passing undigested foods in the feces, lack of coordination and general muscle weakness. Carriers can live many many years without showing any signs of being affected while their offspring may be affected immediately. Keep an eye out for any of these signs as well.

I still suggest if you want to save this bird to get it to a vet because I don't think you are qualified to provide the care that it needs. With three days of undigested food, it won't be long before the body doesn't get the nutrients it needs and it will become fatal.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    phill
    Thanks

ron i think that was incredibly rude to speak in such a manner considering that some of us who did post never said anything bad or rude...
    QUAKER
    Proud owner of:
    Cj, Posh, Becham-- Quakers
    Bella, Bello-- GCC and 1 GCC bub
    Jonny, Princess-- Tiels
    1 tiel bub coming soon!!

Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

I don't know anything about crop bras (except what I have just read here) but it just comes to my mind that great care should be taken if using one. As far as I am aware birds don't have a diaphram so need their chests unrestricted to breath. A too tightly fitted crop bra could possibly interfere with breathing? This is just a thought that popped into my head, and I wanted to share, simply for anyone to bare in mind, and do more checking on, if your going to use one.
    I agree with the others that a vet is the best option for this little one, even if it is initially limited to over the phone advice.
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Hi

Looks like you got some real good advice.... NOT!! This just makes me mad. If you people don't know what you are talking about then why don't you just shut up. Try this link. http://www.avianweb.com/featherplucking.html It talks about using this for feather plucking, but is the same thing. They are made out of the red vet wrap. The baby will not die if you get this on in time. And there is no reason to take him to the vet.
    Let me know how it turns out. And if you need any help just let me know.

Ron
    This is a very irresponsible statement! To tell a person there is no reason to take an animal to the vet without even SEEING the animal!
    As Peachee says,three days without emptying the crop is cause for ALARM.Baby birds fail quickly.A vet visit IS the answer!

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Debbie
    Thanks

I just today made a crop bra for one of my babies. Ron gave you the link that I used for my crop bra!! If you need help let me know!! Good Luck!!

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

I'm using one on a bub atm. Reason sour crop due to overextended crop. The crop bra should only be used in association and as maintanance with correct procedures to correct the sour crop and if overextended crop is the reason for the sour crop occurring. In my case it's working well and bub is happily emptying now.

Name
    Keith
    Thanks

I would like to point out something to everyone who has asked why the bird hasn't seen a vet in three days when it has had sour crop for that long. I myself have had that issue in the past and have called the vet. Get this: My vet said there was nothing that they could do for a baby that young even if Aamir or myself brought in the bird they still would not have done anything for either of us. I do have a vet that treats avian birds as well as everything else and they still told me that.
    So I wanted to point that out and not to make an excuse for Aamir but unless the bird is old enough to be eating on its own they don't treat babies.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Wow, first of all, my jaw is hitting the floor here. If a bird has sour crop, you need to consult a vet before anything else. Keith, perhaps your vet may only see birds if they're eating on their own, but that is not every vet. Mine will see baby birds and it doesn't matter if they're tiny or fledged.

Secondy: A crop bra aids overstretched crops drain properly. BUT.. if food has been sitting in a crop for three days without draining, this means the likelihood of SOUR CROP (a yeast or other infection inside the crop from fermented food remaining in there) has developed. The crop not only has to be drained, but the baby needs to be treated for the toxins that have built up in its system. Its likely that the crop is coated with bacteria or fungus as well so it needs medication to combat this. A crop bra will not handle this problem. This is why a VET is necessary. You cannot diagnose this problem yourself and you cannot buy over the counter medication or mix up home remedies to fix it.

Over-extended crops can be the "cause" of sour crop and the crop-bra can help so the crop drains and the food doesn't sit for three days AGAIN.. but if its gone on THAT long, the baby NEEDS to see a vet (if it hasn't already).

With that said, a crop bra can be made with vet wrap, made into a bib to support the crop and tied under the wings around the waist and around the neck to support the crop. Make sure its not too tight.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

In my case the cause was overextended crop. The sour crop was treated with draining, anti fungal meds, electrolytes, gradual introduction of formula and crop bra to assist and maintain. This was done under the guidance of very experienced handraisers. I agree that if one does not have the experience then either a vet visit or an experienced hand raiser visually seeing the problem and guiding is necessary.

Name
    Keith
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Mowsie View Post
    Wow, first of all, my jaw is hitting the floor here. If a bird has sour crop, you need to consult a vet before anything else. Keith, perhaps your vet may only see birds if they're eating on their own, but that is not every vet. Mine will see baby birds and it doesn't matter if they're tiny or fledged.

Secondy: A crop bra aids overstretched crops drain properly. BUT.. if food has been sitting in a crop for three days without draining, this means the likelihood of SOUR CROP (a yeast or other infection inside the crop from fermented food remaining in there) has developed. The crop not only has to be drained, but the baby needs to be treated for the toxins that have built up in its system. Its likely that the crop is coated with bacteria or fungus as well so it needs medication to combat this. A crop bra will not handle this problem. This is why a VET is necessary. You cannot diagnose this problem yourself and you cannot buy over the counter medication or mix up home remedies to fix it.

Over-extended crops can be the "cause" of sour crop and the crop-bra can help so the crop drains and the food doesn't sit for three days AGAIN.. but if its gone on THAT long, the baby NEEDS to see a vet (if it hasn't already).

With that said, a crop bra can be made with vet wrap, made into a bib to support the crop and tied under the wings around the waist and around the neck to support the crop. Make sure its not too tight.
    You are absolutely right I agree with you 100% I think Aamir's baby should have seen a vet the day the sour crop started but what I said was the point maybe he has a vet like I do(which sucks by the way). Anyway I do agree with you all the way and if he has a vet like me than he should have gone somewhere else who could treat his baby Big or Small. I also totally agree with Mary on that one sour crop should only be treated by an experienced handfeeder or vet.