where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Enrichment e-book. A must see!

Name
    birdy
    Thanks

Re: Enrichment e-book. A must see!

Thats another thing, if Yvonne advises me to not use newspaper, and all i have to do is go to the chip shop and buy some unbleached paper, then thats what i will do. What is the harm doing so? Surely unbleached paper has got to be better than any newspaper. It will cost me 5 extra a month, that is it. It doesnt even come close to nearly loosing my birds because i was warned and i didnt listen.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

*never mind* Beating a dead horse this is....
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 12-07-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmom View Post
    About Vegetable tanning leather...it is not done with vegetables, but actually veg-tanning is a process which uses the "tannins" from the leaves and bark of trees (usually the oak or chestnut tree). You can't tan leather with actual vegetables.
    http://www.leathernet.com/tanning.htm

Not meaning to pick...I was curious, so researched. I buy vegetable tanned cord....
    Everything I found said the same as above.
    oak tanning is toxic to birds, as well as other tannins, so really you need to know what your leather is tanned with for it to be safe.
    it took me MONTHS to find a place that could give me the ingrediants to their leather,

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

So, after all this, is there actually any evidence to support newspapers being toxic? Or is it only germs that were the worry, in which case I agree with Melza. I don't sterilise everything for my birds, and I'd rather they got minor diseases, then were able to fight off anything serious, then have them killed off by a minor disease because their immune system has been comprimised by my actions.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
    Im sure i have never been banned!!! i seem to remember it was you that was,then re-registered under a different username

Oh how i would love to find your postings,you dont appear to be getting away with being the big I AM on here as you try to do on other sites,im sure you would have a lot to offer if you werent so arrogant about the way in which you try to tell people about it

and on the subject of those rope boing toys,why sell them atall if you consider them so dangerous,wether under supervision or not???
    i find you very hypocritical !!! and it isnt a endearing attitude to have
    LOL who's site are you looking on, I dont sell these HORRID boing toys, never have done, never will do.

Name
    birdy
    Thanks

*never mind* Beating a dead horse this is....
    Is that what you do over there in Canada?

Ive heard of flogging a dead horse, but never beating one!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    OMG
    I'm wishing i had never introduced Yvonne to this place.
    I've only read about half this thread. I can't believe how mean some of you people are
    Maybe i've been being naive and havent got involved in all the other arguments on this board lately, but i kinda always felt like we were a kinda weird, extended cyber family of bird lovers who were only really here to share our passions and make sure we did the best for our fids.

I almost never get involved in threads like this and arguments, coz that's not why i come here. But this time i'm too upset not too. l'm sitting here crying my eyes out at this thread. I feel totally stupid and disillusioned because i didnt think this type of vicious vindictivness existed here. I am absolutely heart broken to be proven wrong. And i feel really bad for all the people i've recommended this site to, coz if they get treated like this too i wouldn't blame them for never talking to me again! I know it's silly, but i kinda feel like i just lost something really special here.

Yvonne is a brilliant woman who knows more about toy safety than anyone I've ever met. She's telling you what could happen if you use certain types of toys. If you choose to ignore that information, then i truly hope you are never unlucky. She has made Sammy's life so much happier and safer, which makes me happy, and we all know what a worry wart i am. And as to pointing out my post as evidence... thank you. TYPO NOW CORRECTED.

and as to typoes. Well I'm a pro writer. That's my daily job and has been since i left uni. If even i can make typoes, anyone can. And anyway, i thought this ripping people to shreds over stupid, petty little typoes and grammar errors was long gone and buried. I'm really sorry to see i'm wrong.

Lee, i'm assuming the customer who returned an item is me. I know i sent back one thing. If so then let me clarify for all that i was looking for a stainless steel skewer. I was sent one from Yvonne's private stash as a favour. it was designed so the end hooked round in a loop. They are sold all over the states, and are sold as sduitable for all birds. The sizing wasnt quite right, but it was a favour i had begged for. Didnt work out, and as it was her private stash i sent it back to her. this should NOT be confused with the one from another well known uk site that i wrote a whole thead on whinging about coz it was used and dangerous and i was beyond angry that they had sent something that could make him ill. FFS you dont know what illnesses another bird could have, hence why i was mad to be sent a used item by them.

Incidently, i'm pretty sure that Yvonne doesnt accept returns as standard, and it was only that again it was from her private stash that she did. Even then i F10'd it before hand and double wrapped it, away from Sammy, to protect her and her birds. Knowing Yvonne it went straight into boiling water and back to her private hoarde.

And personally there are a hell of a lot of toys on that enrichment book i wouldnt let Sammy have. Coz they are dangerous.

How many threads have we had on here about how a bird has got caught on a toy and hurt? how many birds killed or trapped by their happy huts? how many birds hurt by their supposedly safe store bought toys? how many birds caught in cottons and threads? I know that Sparks once got badly hurt by a store toy. If i hadnt found her i have no doubt she would have died. And i have no doubt it was only her calm manner than helped her survive. If, god forbid, it were Sammy he would have probably had a heart attack. As it was Sparks had to be treated for shock.

Personally i bought rope of Yvonne, and she warned me that Sammy i particular shouldnt have it in a cage unsupervised. Coz she gets to know her customers and she knows he's a little shredding machine. But i wanted it to make a playstand, which, as it's out of the cage, will only be used under supervision. I'd sooner buy my rope from Yvonne where i know it's safe and chemical free and CLEAN rather than a site who would happily send me a used item. lots of illnesses travel in birdie dust, so without machine washing it, i cant think how else to be sure it's clean.

end of day: if you dont want to take Yvonne's advice, DON'T. But please dont sit here and *****, whinge bully and attack another good person away from the tailfeathers flock.

PS. Dan and Mods- sorry...1 for getting invovled in this, but when i'm being quoted as evidence i feel i have to respond. It's out of character for me, but i'm so upset by all this, and i've tried to keep it polite.

And 2- I'd not remembered the no advertising bit. I see so many sites linked on here, that when someone, especially UK based, asks about toys, it's the first site i point to, coz i want all birds to be as happy and safe as Yvonne has helped me to make Sam.

PPS- not want to argue, just another point of view. Chains are not perfectly safe toys. If the bird swings the chain they can get their toes between the links, and if they are hanging on the chain their weight pulls it safe and traps them Seen it happen.
    http://www.birdsafe.com/story_bird50.htm

Oh and after my other half worked for Trinity paper group i dont give my birds newspapers anymore. Ewww. what goes into the printing process and the SMELL is just appaling. knowing most of the chemicals are gone isnt enough for me. Plus i knew what grew in the bottom of my little bro's paper delivery bag. YICK lol
    thank you for that Helen, it means a lot

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

hear are a few links on soya ink
    http://www.soya.be/soy-ink.phhttp://...om/a/Soy_ink_-

http://www.ars.usda.gov/IS/AR/archiv...k0195.htm?pf=1

http://www.soya.be/soy-ink.phhttp://...om/a/Soy_ink_-
    _The_Production_Of_Soy_Ink/id/2108200p

chemicals are also added in the printing process.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pine4parrots View Post
    I will not be posting on hear anymore, I have far better things to do.SO CARRY ON!! HAVE FUN!!
    That didn't last long...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That didn't last long...
    couldnt resist

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

oak tanning is toxic to birds, as well as other tannins, so really you need to know what your leather is tanned with for it to be safe.
    it took me MONTHS to find a place that could give me the ingredients to their leather,
    when you say cord, do you mean the leather that is sold off rolls, I know lots of people buy this, traders can purchase it in 100ft rolls.
    this is cord for dressmaking and jewelry making, it is someway glued together to make it into a thin long cord.
    it must be glued, have you ever seen a 100ft cow

the longest piece of leather I can get from my hides is just over 5ft,

Tailfeather
    Thanks

when you say cord, do you mean the leather that is sold off rolls, I know lots of people buy this, traders can purchase it in 100ft rolls.
    this is cord for dressmaking and jewelry making, it is someway glued together to make it into a thin long cord.
    it must be glued, have you ever seen a 100ft cow

the longest piece of leather I can get from my hides is just over 5ft,

No, it is veg-tanned leather rope, I buy it from a local parrot supplies company(home business like yours). It is made for parrots.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    yvonne
    Thanks

No, it is veg-tanned leather rope, I buy it from a local parrot supplies company(home business like yours). It is made for parrots.
    sorry to have to say but just because they say its made for parrots does not mean it is not made from oak tanning, I emailed zoo-max (twice) to ask them what they tanned their leather with, they didn't answer, so I guess they dont know.

do you have any tanneries near you, or one you can contact, and find out what they tan their leather with, and if its safe, then maybe buy it from them in a full piece.
    you can buy leather strap cutters, to cut your leather.
    if your bird does not chew on the leather, I would not worry too much, but with my birds, they chew the leather to bits, so I have to be sure its safe.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

sorry to have to say but just because they say its made for parrots does not mean it is not made from oak tanning, I emailed zoo-max (twice) to ask them what they tanned their leather with, they didn't answer, so I guess they dont know.

do you have any tanneries near you, or one you can contact, and find out what they tan their leather with, and if its safe, then maybe buy it from them in a full piece.
    you can buy leather strap cutters, to cut your leather.
    So tell us what IS your leather tanned with?

Because almost all tannin comes from tree bark (oak, hemlock, etc). All veg tanned leather is tanned with tannins. Non-veg tanned is tanned with chemicals. Natives tanned leather with brains....so what is yours tanned with?
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 12-07-2009 at 10:15 AM.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Rudeness is not tolerated here people.

Remove Ads