where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: soon to be bred

Brand New Egg
    Name
    haley
    Thanks

Talking soon to be bred

hi all! i havent been here for a long time! ok so i am going to breed in time and before i even think of breeding i need to do some research, get nikku (my baby girl) checked by a vet, and adopt a boy! so can any of you give me some info? please and thank you!

sincerely, haley
    i have a beutiful girl cockatiel named nikku whose birth day is may 2007who was adopted febuary 2007

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: soon to be bred

Why do you want to breed? For most people, it is not the best idea. Before venturing into it, you want to be sure that you are breeding teils from stock that ought to bred, to have all the necessary equipment, to have an open schedule for any hand-feeding, and be ready to get vet care at any time. You also should only get into it if you are seriously entertaining the idea of doing it very well, with little profit, for a long time. It makes a poor occasional pastime and isn't very lucreative.

See this thread:

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ead.php?t=3082

for some old, but helpful discussion on that point.

Sorry to be negative--you seem very excited. I just want to mention all the things you should consider first. It's important to be careful, because lots of people jump into it, then get tired of it or won't seek vet care. They end up with birds harmed, or dumping tiels in pet stores or rescues. My two cockatiels, Atrus and Catherine, came from a breeder who kept them for 3-4 years, then gave up. When I encountered her, she getting rid of a few pairs and had two birds on hand who appeared to have been the victims of malnurition. Not something you want to fall into by mistake!
    Last edited by notredamebird; 05-09-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Brand New Egg
    Name
    haley
    Thanks

dont apoligiez! thanks so much! i need all the responses i can get i am looking to become a serious breeder and nikku really wants to breed to! (she has been venting alot latly) if you have any info sites please tell me thanks!
    i have a beutiful girl cockatiel named nikku whose birth day is may 2007who was adopted febuary 2007

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

On a related note, how old is Nikki? I can't quite tell her age from her ticker, but it looks like she might be around a year of ago. If so, she might want to breed, but you shouldn't breeder her for at least a year. I seem to recall the safest age for tiels is around 3+ years. Again, check with a good breeder or handbook. I believe there are some posts on here too about the dangers of breeding too young.

An important point to remember too, is that even though Nikki wants to find a mate, she can be extremely happy without one. Don't breed because you feel she "needs" it. Only do so if it is the right course of action for you. You can also get her a companion bird, but prevent them from breeding. Often tiels won't lay without a nestbox. And if they do, you can boil the eggs, return them, and wait for the parents to get bored.

As to breeding information, I am not a breeder, so I don't know the best breeding websites off-hand. However, there are three national organizations devoted to cockatiels, I would think joining and reading all you can get from them would be a huge help. They are interested in healthy breeding, show standards, and so forth. Here are their websites:

American Cockatiel Society: http://www.acstiels.com/
    National Cockatiel Society: http://www.cockatiels.org/
    North American Cockatiel Society: http://www.cockatiel.org/

I would think that chatting with current breeders and reading all you can get of good, solid parrot books would be of help too. Lots of breeders are sort of borderline in their practices (I know, i have high standards) but if you can find a good one who doesn't mind talking with you, I would think you'd find it enlightening.

This is just my two cents. As I said, lots of people breed, but I personally think it should only be done very carefully by persons committed to the birds well-being and to placing them in good homes. Thus I like to see the "proud, the few, the marines" breed and the rest enjoy them in other ways. Birds are wonderful just as pets, and there are other very important activities you can do too--like offering a foster home to rescue birds, if you are close enough to a rescue organization for it.

I hope this helps. I will post more if ideas occur to me.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    phill
    Thanks

safest age to breed a femaile tiel is 18mnths or over and for a male is 15 months and over.
    QUAKER
    Proud owner of:
    Cj, Posh, Becham-- Quakers
    Bella, Bello-- GCC and 1 GCC bub
    Jonny, Princess-- Tiels
    1 tiel bub coming soon!!

Remove Ads